• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Roommate Rental Landlord Living-Space Neighbour Horror Stories

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Ok, need a little advice. I have lived in my building for almost 10 years and have smoked for a good portion of it. I'm a fairly light smoker (except when I drink, then it's a bit more). Maybe a pack a week I'd say on average. I've lived in this particular apt for about 1.5 years and wasn't smoking for the first 7 months or so. I only smoke on my balcony (I find smoking inside gross and it bleeds into the hallway), but my neighbour has in the past little while started giving me shit for it.

The first time I even knew it was bothering her was when she screamed out her balcony window at me while I was out smoking. Scared the shit out of me. I had no idea how she felt and she was clearly incensed over it. The second time she was calmer when she called over and asked me to stop smoking altogether on the balcony. Today she screamed at the top of her lungs at me and asked why the fuck I'm still smoking on the balcony.

I did email my landlord to tell them what was going on, and she basically said it's up to us to work it out.

Has anyone encountered anything similar? I'm feeling stressed at home now. I get it isn't fair that the smoke wafts over, but I don't smoke much and she can close her door if it bugs her. But she is demanding I stop altogether.

I'm thinking of keeping a diary of all the times she yells at me and what she says. Just not sure who I would even present that to.

Any advice on this one?

So I was out on my balcony with my friend (I wasn't smoking at the time) and she comes out on her balcony and tries to be all sweet and says, 'hey, you guys don't smoke do you??'. I looked at her blankly and said yes, I do. To which she says, 'but at 6am? the smell wakes me up'. And I said, why don't you close your door? And she says, 'oh I don't like air conditioning'. Then I told her outright, I would really appreciate her not screaming at me anymore or I will call the police. She pretended like she didn't understand, so I said again, you've been screaming at me. Then she says, oh that's because I'm hard of hearing. Yeah ok, you don't scream when YOU are hard of hearing, but when someone else is. And she never raised her voice to talk to us!

My friend looked at me after and said she is batshit crazy, lol. So now every time I go out for a smoke, I fire up the camera and wait. She hasn't said anything yet, but I'm sure it will happen again.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
are you suggesting the better course would be to "take your lumps" and accede to a rent increase beyond the Tenancy Act or simply "cut your losses" and move without a fight?

I guess if Bacchus was sleeping on a pile of money, dealing with less stress would be attractive. Perhaps this "not feeling the pinch" effect is what leads advisors on tribe here to counsel going along to get along
I'm suggesting simply that either way he'll lose. Maybe not at the tribunal but certainly in the game of life. One way or another he won't be living there. He says he has no money, he has a new kid and doesn't want the hassle of moving. Yet he's picked a fight with his landlord to the point where she doesn't want to do business with him. I think given his current situation it's certainly in his best interests to play nice but you and I know that ship has sailed the second he mentioned filing a dispute.

I am first time landlord come sept, I've personally met all out new tenants (students) and their parents (guarantors) and the one thing I stressed to them is that this is a relationship and we work together to resolve concerns. I have no intentions of being a slumlord and every intention of making sure i get paid by fostering a amicable living arrangement.

Luckily for me if I ever get Bacchused, I only have to put up with the jerk for a year then they're done school.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I once rented a loft above an Italian restaurant and my landlord and I got along very well, I had a great 1 page 60 day (2 way notice) contract, very reasonably priced and I didn't have any issues.

I guess that's not much of a horror story.

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
I'm a slumlord Brazillionaire.

Tennants have robbed me blind, I have no recourse.
Renters damage shit, then disappear.
On that note, tennants just disappear without paying rent.

The system is so fucking skewed to loser renters that I'm surprised any landlord gives them a place to live.

An open letter to Dear Renters:
For whatever reason, you do not own the property, and you are entitled therefore to basically nothing. Stop complaining about your landlord or your "rights" and buy your own place if you feel disadvantaged. Until then, your mouth is only good for eating and sucking dick. so shut the fuck up and live in the squalor that you deserve.

-jM
A&D
You rent to hookers and crackheads, no?

praktik

TRIBE Member
I'm suggesting simply that either way he'll lose. Maybe not at the tribunal but certainly in the game of life. One way or another he won't be living there. He says he has no money, he has a new kid and doesn't want the hassle of moving. Yet he's picked a fight with his landlord to the point where she doesn't want to do business with him. I think given his current situation it's certainly in his best interests to play nice but you and I know that ship has sailed the second he mentioned filing a dispute.

I am first time landlord come sept, I've personally met all out new tenants (students) and their parents (guarantors) and the one thing I stressed to them is that this is a relationship and we work together to resolve concerns. I have no intentions of being a slumlord and every intention of making sure i get paid by fostering a amicable living arrangement.

Luckily for me if I ever get Bacchused, I only have to put up with the jerk for a year then they're done school.
This is all very fair and reasonable, but perhaps you are assuming Bacchus didn't attempt to make a good faith effort for a resolution...

Reading chronology here there has been back and forth, and this would ultimately be easier to resolve if the landlord could have stopped making unreasonable demands contrary to the act.

If your landlord is unreasonable, and assuming this is true for Bacchus, would you not protect yourself as he is?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JamesM

TRIBE Member
This is all very fair and reasonable, but perhaps you are assuming Bacchus didn't attempt to make a good faith effort for a resolution...
The first landlord nightmare he was lying about pets, got them in. Landlord found out and said no way. Then they fleeced the landlords in court pounding the tenant bible on their chests.

Don't think he negotiated here.

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
Well no need to assume, I've seen some of the back and forth.

So attempts were made, and rebuffed.

So what would you do if your landlord made requests that violated the act and then doubled down when you put your best foot forward to find a reasonable accommodation.

The error here is prejudging this case based on anti-bacchus bias

praktik

TRIBE Member
How about not having illegal clauses in your lease?

Seems a prudent course for a landlord that doesn't want to be "fleeced" by tenants who are found deserving of redress for violations of the act

You are also ignoring fact if Bacchus won a judgement at the tribunal, that this means, fundamentally, his case was found to have more merit than his opponents.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Typically if someone says no pets, you abide by that, and find a pet friendly place. Not sure what planet you two are living on. Let's lie about pets, then sue their brains out with a copy of the tenant act to pay for our rent? Oh right.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
We have a crazy cat lady at our apartment. She runs a blog with all this major conspiracy type shit about it. She scares the shit out of me, and she's always sitting at the pool.

You know we're all dying of asbestos type crazy talk.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Still can't see any evidence in an anti Bacchus claim

Just assumptions and emotion and "I betcha"

Better to cravenly concede all matters to landlords, since landlords are SO downtrodden!

Oh won't someone please think of the poor landowners, who just want to extract value from their assets according to their arbitrary whims?

kyfe

TRIBE Member

Reading chronology here there has been back and forth, and this would ultimately be easier to resolve if the landlord could have stopped making unreasonable demands contrary to the act.

If your landlord is unreasonable, and assuming this is true for Bacchus, would you not protect yourself as he is?
the one thing that needs to be stressed here is just because it's not in the act doesn't mean it cannot be discussed. If there are improvements done for example to a unit that improve the living situation, if both parties mutually agree then I don't see how it violates anything. Businesses augment the terms and conditions of contracts all the time so I don't think this request is unreasonable.

Just because the owner asked for something that could be misconstrued as a violation of the act doesn't mean they are in violation. Now had she went ahead and tried to enforce the rent increase outside the legally allowed parameters then it becomes an issue.

And the way Bacchus makes it sound, it sounds like he came charging at her yelling "have you read the act?" while throwing the document in her face. This isn't a property manager, this is an individual who decided to supplement her income and clearly didn't do a thorough background check on her prospects and got stuck with someone who takes and will not compromise.

Having said this, I get things like serious violations such as un-permitted entry, snooping and not keeping the property in a livable state. those are legit concerns which should warrant a complaint.

Bacchus is just abusing our tax dollars because he is cheap, that's all I've ever gathered from his experiences. In my mind most of his issues could have been resolved if he was up front and honest or if he was open to compromise. Instead he chooses to hide behind legislation put in place to prevent tenants from real abuse

praktik

TRIBE Member
I'm ok with tax dollars being spent on things like protecting the rights of our citizens and tenants. To the extent landlords are chastened before the tribunal, could we not see citizens who are willing to stand up for their rights as leaving a good legacy for taxpayers?

Such landlords will be less likely to make unreasonable demands contrary to the act in the future - giving future tenants the boon of less stress and the rest of us the benefit of not needing to invoke the tribunal, because the losers will have learned their lesson.

Rule of law is one thing we shouldn't be invoking the specter of "taxes" with respect to - not every societal good should be connected to this narrow metric, especially without considering ancillary benefits for broader society. And even people who don't pay taxes, children and the elderly and the sick most especially, have a stake in this - the taxpayer narrative turns the worth of citizens into how much they net government coffers every year.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I'm ok with tax dollars being spent on things like protecting the rights of our citizens and tenants. To the extent landlords are chastened before the tribunal, could we not see citizens who are willing to stand up for their rights as leaving a good legacy for taxpayers?

Such landlords will be less likely to make unreasonable demands contrary to the act in the future - giving future tenants the boon of less stress and the rest of us the benefit of not needing to invoke the tribunal, because the losers will have learned their lesson.

Rule of law is one thing we shouldn't be invoking the specter of "taxes" with respect to - not every societal good should be connected to this narrow metric, especially without considering ancillary benefits for broader society. And even people who don't pay taxes, children and the elderly and the sick most especially, have a stake in this - the taxpayer narrative turns the worth of citizens into how much they net government coffers every year.
Where will Bacchus live when there is a rental shortage because private landlords don't want to deal with the headaches from tenants like Bacchus? people that abuse the system (both sides LL and tenants) naturally reduce the benefit everyone enjoys.

praktik

TRIBE Member
And so its a good thing that we have a tribunal to sort these things out right?

What good is a public service if someone like Bacchus can't avail themselves of it when injured?

Seems a far more legitimate use of public funds than many others! The taxpayer narrative is a bad fit for this issue, which is what my rant was about..;)

But you've been making fair points aside from this!

JamesM

TRIBE Member
With our apartment there's a board that gets set up to combat all these heinous rent increases. It's a giant meh, and I throw it in the trash.

I really enjoy our relationship with our multiple landlords, neighbours and property management over 9 years. Getting a little crazy with insane amount of work orders put on the building, but I'll just move out. Wow how about that.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
And so its a good thing that we have a tribunal to sort these things out right?

What good is a public service if someone like Bacchus can't avail themselves of it when injured?

Seems a far more legitimate use of public funds than many others! The taxpayer narrative is a bad fit for this issue, which is what my rant was about..;)

But you've been making fair points aside from this!
Just because there is a tribunal doesn't mean that all of the tribunal's rules make sense. The pet exemption is a great example (and I'm a pet owner myself). Pets can do significant damage to a house. So can children. A landlord should be able to have the right to screen tenants that are more likely to do damage to a house, or increase rent at the outset accordingly.

As a pet owner myself, who has always been honest with landlords (Ontario and outside of Ontario), it makes zero sense to me that tenants can lie on their applications. Service pets sure. But all pets? Ridiculous.

You can be a total dick and live life according to the letter of the law, or be a decent human being and include societal norms when you manage relationships. The latter always gets you further.

praktik

TRIBE Member
What if you aren't a total dick and are just using the remedies available to yourself when confronted with the unreasonable demands of a landlord that won't back off an illegal request?

Surely there are legitimate reasons to pursue recourse..

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
What if you aren't a total dick and are just using the remedies available to yourself when confronted with the unreasonable demands of a landlord that won't back off an illegal request?

Surely there are legitimate reasons to pursue recourse..
I've lived all over the world, and nowhere else was I able to lie about pets on my application without recourse afforded to the landlord.

Sounds like Bacchus' landlord is simply pursuing her legal rights by evicting him in favor of her mother. How is that an unreasonable demand?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Yes, but you can screen them out through a selection process. If you don't know about something, you can't screen it out.
No cats and dogs is reasonable, but folks can't be discriminating against kids, unless of course they're the ones applying for the lease.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I've lived all over the world, and nowhere else was I able to lie about pets on my application without recourse afforded to the landlord.

Sounds like Bacchus' landlord is simply pursuing her legal rights by evicting him in favor of her mother. How is that an unreasonable demand?
That's what it turned into after a demand for higher than legally allowed rent!