• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Roommate Rental Landlord Living-Space Neighbour Horror Stories

SonorouS

TRIBE Member
so after coming home the other day and seeing this posted on my neighbours door...

(we have sheriffs in Canada?!? who knew?)

And having read some grumblings from others on here about their living conditions, I thought it would be a good idea to share/vent some stories about the less than favourable experiences people have gone through in the past involving living conditions.

I'll start by elaborating on the the (gigantic) picture above... it actually involves three separate terrible tenants in this building from the past 6 months. I almost feel sorry for my landlord. OK, not really. The first evictee was a meth head, who my landlord knew had no steady income other than scrap metal salvaging (ie dumpster diving), but still inexplicably decided to rent the basement apt to buddy. The only real downside for me was having to threaten to pour a bucket of water on a tweaked out chick who wouldnt stop knocking Mr. Meth's door for 30 minutes. She kept insisting that "he HAS to be home, he just HAS TO BE!" I think my reply was " go be high somewhere else, or your gonna get wet".... it made for some interesting times.

During the month the meth head was being evicted, an old woman moved into the main floor apt. Three days after she moved in, her daughter and 3 grandkids moved in. Keep in mind that this was a smaller one bedroom apt, and that there was also a dog. Can you say, overcrowded? Yeah, I though you could. Needless to say the noise (crying/fighting/screaming/stomping/dog barking) got old fast, and I was forced to call the landlord and let him know he had 5 tenants, not one. He had no clue and promptly tried to fix things, which lead to grandma moving out in the middle of the night and her shorting the landlord a weeks rent.

This leads me back to the picture/tenant from above. Since the meth head was gone from the basement, a new tenant had moved into the downstairs apt. This guy (from here on in I will refer to him as "the asshole") was a real winner. By chance the asshole ran into grandma moving out in the middle of the night, and the asshole somehow convinced grandma to give him the keys to the main floor apt. As grandma moved out, he moved in. Yes, that night. And yes, without consulting the landlord. The main floor apt is more expensive than the downstairs but it didn't matter as the asshole never paid rent again. The time it took for the landlord to evict the asshole for non payment of rent was a real shit show. The asshole managed to lock himself out of his apt twice, which he rectified by smashing a window once, and by kicking the door in a second time. Keep in mind both of these instances occurred after bar hours, mid week, with the asshole in a serious state of drunkenness. Good times. The asshole also decided, since rent included heat, that cranking his thermostat would be a nice farewell present to the landlord, in the form of a huge heating bill. The last month in my apt (upstairs) has been 25+ degrees. My cactus was actually wilting.

Here is hoping for decent neighbours in 2009.

Also worth mentioning:
-the landlord from King City who after we had lived in his apt for a month, showed up with a new lease that tried to charge for people who stayed over night.
-the landlord from Ottawa that said "if you do all the yard work, i might buy you a case of beer at the end of the summer" oh really jerk, you MIGHT give me $30 for doing hundreds of dollar of labour? how surprising that there were 4 foot thistles in our yard by the end of summer.?.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
hahahaha yes SAM !!

so glad you decided to share these with tribe, i laughed my ass off when you told me about them the other week. !

[jai]

AshG

my landlord is currently attempting to have me evicted.

long story very short, they want me to pay money i don't owe them. i paid them anyway and they're still proceeding.

as a result i'm also taking them before the board to get my money back and teach them a fucking lesson in law.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
^^ uhm wow! :(

I had a roommate who caused us to have maggots. Thank God i was leaving in 3 days. I even warned her and her bf. 'If your bf doesn't clean up his shit we're going to get cockroaches'..but she didnt' believe me. We got maggots instead.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
AshG said:
my landlord is currently attempting to have me evicted.

long story very short, they want me to pay money i don't owe them. i paid them anyway and they're still proceeding.

as a result i'm also taking them before the board to get my money back and teach them a fucking lesson in law.
I still feel bad about this man!

Anyhoo, there's someone on a floor above us who is like building...well something. Hammering, drilling, hell, the nice old couple below us called the cops! When they came, I answered the door "Guys, it's not us!" so I went down to these oldies and introduced myself, they be cool.

still...there's some hammerin goin on. The GF thinks it's drug addicts.

AshG

Lil'Timmy said:
I still feel bad about this man!

Anyhoo, there's someone on a floor above us who is like building...well something. Hammering, drilling, hell, the nice old couple below us called the cops! When they came, I answered the door "Guys, it's not us!" so I went down to these oldies and introduced myself, they be cool.

still...there's some hammerin goin on. The GF thinks it's drug addicts.
timmy, you know damn well its not your fault, don't sweat it.

those fuckers have systematically ignored my attempts at communication, bullied, cajoled, and now just straight up lied to me in claiming they'd dropped their hearing... knowing that if i didn't show i'd be evicted as a matter of course.

u know i get worked up over the law, but this makes me personally fucking furious. part of me is worried over what could happen, but part of me just wants to crush thier fucking faces into the asphalt. all in all, it makes me feel like i'm in a rage whenever i think about it, and more and more as the hearing date looms closer.

juice

TRIBE Member
Haha that building made a lot of us pretty fucking furious. Oh what we'll do to put up with cheap rent and huge apartments right downtown :)

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
I've never had bad landlords but I've had to deal with some rental tribunal stuff with some properties my family owns out of town... representing my mom who was too distraught after dealing with complete idiots for tenants... unfortunately for good landlords, tenants get all the rights and it's nearly impossible to evict them without months of heartache. Major pain in the ass.

I can't believe the gaul of 'asshole' above. I feel bad for that landlord too!

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
What happens during the time when non-payment begins and a tribunal evicts? Does the landlord just not get any money for those months and it's too bad for them?

ila

TRIBE Member
moved in with my "best friend" of 20 years and 6 months into the year lease we both signed, she came out of nowhere saying she wanted to walk early and I either had to find someone to fill her spot or find two people to fill both our spots and find somewhere else to live too.

it got worse when she tried to stick me with a stranger off craig's list (luckily because we both signed the lease she couldn't do this) and then started screaming at me and calling me an evil selfish bitch, again, completely out of nowhere.

it was the most mental shit.

eventually we sorted out our differences and she said she wanted to leave because I taped the thermostat in place (the switch was fuckered) which made her think I was trying to control her life or something...I'm not really sure. but it was fucking psychotic and it permanently damaged shit between us.

sdhv0017

TRIBE Member
Used to have Nigerian renters in our old house in Humberwood and the husband would beat his wife and kids constantly. One night it got so bad, I am pretty sure he pushed his (PREGNANT BTW!!) wife into the stairway rails, which broke. Police came, he was sent to jail.......never heard from him after that. I think he went back to Nigeria or something.

derek

TRIBE Member
ila said:
moved in with my "best friend" of 20 years and 6 months into the year lease we both signed, she came out of nowhere saying she wanted to walk early and I either had to find someone to fill her spot or find two people to fill both our spots and find somewhere else to live too.

it got worse when she tried to stick me with a stranger off craig's list (luckily because we both signed the lease she couldn't do this) and then started screaming at me and calling me an evil selfish bitch, again, completely out of nowhere.

it was the most mental shit.

eventually we sorted out our differences and she said she wanted to leave because I taped the thermostat in place (the switch was fuckered) which made her think I was trying to control her life or something...I'm not really sure. but it was fucking psychotic and it permanently damaged shit between us.
awesome..i love how she never asked why the thermo was taped.

ila

TRIBE Member
it was pretty unreal. I didn't want to blab on, but there was another reason she wanted to leave - she took my roll of toilet paper from my washroom and put it in hers, leaving me rolless. it was my last roll so I took it back.

these two things pushed her over her limit (lol).

I'll never live with a roommate again because of this. it's not natural.

m0ff

TRIBE Member
Dick-face Roommate #1:
She was in charge of paying most of the bills. Which was fine, as I was in university and really didn't want the responsibility. So I just forked over a cheque or cash every month, with the expectation that it would be put towards the bill. Came home to not one, but THREE notices on our door that our cable and heat were going to be disconnected in 48 hours if our account wasn't brought up to date...and that our rent was $200 short for the last two months (she was also in charge of that shit).
She knew this was coming, and split town for a solid two weeks, leaving us (three poor university students) to ask our parents for $$ to keep said utilities running, and bring the rent up to date.

Dick-face Roommate #2:
Became completely addicted to WarCraft. Dropped out of school, completely reversed sleep patterns (when he did sleep), maintained a steady diet of McDonald's, if one of us was taking up "too much bandwidth" he would reset the modem to kick us off so his game wouldn't slow down.
After about six months of this he started having seizures because he hadn't seen sunlight or eaten a meal not consisting of fast food in about that same amount of time. His mother (awwww!) came up (read: Moved the fuck in) for about two weeks to take care of him, and tried to get me to take care of him so she didn't have to take him home. I finally cracked and told her that if she didn't take him home, he could potentially have a seizure and die in the basement (where his room was) and no one in the house would know for like 3 days because that was the average amount of time it took for him to surface usually. She took him home two days later. It was hell though.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I've lived in some slummy places in Toronto growing up, the best was probably the one where we had a raccoon (part of the family living in the roof) crash through the ceiling and onto our kitchen floor. My mom was able to separate our german shepherd from it and get it out without any injuries. The landlord of that place set fire to his dental practice during the christmas holidays and didn't make it out of the building in time. We were evicted by his family shortly after that.

The worst place I've had in London ON so far was a bungalow that was split in two, the first half of the house and the basement was occupied by the landlord and his wife, we were in the second half of the house. It was a really cute place where we thought we'd have some peace, quiet and privacy. Shortly after moving in we realized that we could hear everything from the landlord's part of the house, EVERYTHING. Like if the phone rang, I could not only hear the rings but hear the message that was left on their answering machine.The landlord would always catch us on our way out because he could hear us leaving. It got uncomfortable really quickly, I've never lived in a place with that much noise bleeding before or since then. The landlord really needed something productive to do besides entering our apartment illegally and reading our mail. I swear he'd monitor the length of my showers and cut them short by putting the water on. I trusted him because he was a retired U of T business/law prof but he was totally whack and his place was whack.

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
My aunt and uncle owned a house in the boonies somewhere and rented it out while they lived in Saudi Arabia...only to discover that the renters used it as a grow-op, split and left $30,000 worth of damage, which insurance didn't cover.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
oh fuck, where do i begin?

final straw was roommate's homeless brother sleeping by the washing machine for 8 months. can't be bothered to detail everything else that was horrible and wrong about my last place. i've tried to block it out of my mind.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
m0ff said:
Dick-face Roommate #2:
Became completely addicted to WarCraft. Dropped out of school, completely reversed sleep patterns (when he did sleep), maintained a steady diet of McDonald's, if one of us was taking up "too much bandwidth" he would reset the modem to kick us off so his game wouldn't slow down.
After about six months of this he started having seizures because he hadn't seen sunlight or eaten a meal not consisting of fast food in about that same amount of time. His mother (awwww!) came up (read: Moved the fuck in) for about two weeks to take care of him, and tried to get me to take care of him so she didn't have to take him home. I finally cracked and told her that if she didn't take him home, he could potentially have a seizure and die in the basement (where his room was) and no one in the house would know for like 3 days because that was the average amount of time it took for him to surface usually. She took him home two days later. It was hell though.
Bwahahah
I remember this kid. So pale. So skinny.
Aren't you glad you got out of the student ghetto? ;P

m0ff

TRIBE Member
Dr. Grinch said:
Bwahahah
I remember this kid. So pale. So skinny.
Aren't you glad you got out of the student ghetto? ;P
LOL...yah.

Did he ever say "hello", or just mumble a few incoherent words on his way back to the basement? :O

staybeautifull

TRIBE Member
okay, sorry for lurking but i finally have an outlet for venting about my atrocious living situation.
cheap rent = live in a dump, but i resigned myself to this whilst going to college and working in my field a stone's throw away.
in the 4 years i lived there i lived with an alcoholic, an extreme alpha female, and my personal favourite, heavy metal wannabe whose band practiced in our basement. fine, okay i could deal with all this except......
this summer he went crazy i mean fucking shithouse rat crazy. like opening up our living room to contain his satanic ministry paraphernalia that's right - you read that correctly - satanic ministry (they were on the cover Eye magazine once...meh)
in any case, someone this summer didn't take too kindly to his show which anyone with half a brain knew was a satirical (if in extremely poor taste) and decided to spray paint the house, break and enter the house, steal my roommates belongings , mail them back to them, stalk us, leave obscene messages on our voice mail, and my roommate's solution was to call the bikers and he gave his word we were under surveillance..right
in my last weeks there, my other roommate came home to him eating his own cum off the floor and last i heard he and his gf use our living room to torture adult babies.

i now live safely and happily 1000 kms away.

KiX

TRIBE Member
hahaha winner. welcome to tribe! you had me at the part where he ate his own cum off the ground.

what are adult babies tho? people dressed up in bonnets holding giant rattles and shit? that's amazing.

staybeautifull

TRIBE Member
yes. adults who wear diapers and goo goo gaga.

i could go on for days!

another favourite story of mine is when his pet snake died and he fucked off for a few days and the house reeked of hot garbage. or the time they fashioned a minotaur out of old theme park costumes dragged it behind his pedo-van at our local no frills, tied it off a bridge, and lit it on fire.
fireworks in the microwave, crucifying cabbage patch dolls....i can unfortunately top it all. it was cheap rent but i was in wayyy over my head in the end.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders