• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Roomies Vs. Solo Living

squirrely

TRIBE Member
which do you prefer? where are you at?

after living on my own for almost two years now, the thought of going back to shared living makes me break into a sweat.

at the same time, living on your own can be disgustingly costly.

thoughts?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
Fuck roomies - solo is where it's at..

Word to that!!

I could never have roomies. I am too particular and anal to live with your average person. The only roomies I need are my kitties.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
pros and cons to both i say

living a lone is nice - you can have things how you want all the time don't have to worry about any ones mess or yours for that matter.
The solitude is nice as well.

But it can get lonely. Roomates are good for that - if they are cool - that is the key finding good roomies, ones that have the same interets, and know you can trust them, if you have that, then roomies can be great! resouceful, shared bills, shared chores, more friends
I think it comes down to is who you chose to live with, random strangers from the paper - are not always the best thing.

You have to be very careful who you let into your home, and usually the fewer the rommates the better i find. or ya it is just to much shit to deal with

[SQUARE]

TRIBE Member
I've had a lot of bad roomates in my day but I've finally found good ones. When you have good roomates it can be fun. I find its lonely on my own.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
if i could afford to live on my own, i would do it in a second! i cannot wait to have no roommates. i love them to death as friends, but i can't live with them.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
I am paying waaaay too much for my apt right now, but me and the ex signed a lease that we couldn't get out of. I prefer living on my own, but to tell you the truth, I get horribly lonely. I have my cat to keep me company but other than that very little contact with the world. Sometimes I go days without speaking to anyone face to face. When I have roomies I tend to be a lot more social.

But on the whole, having all my own space is so nice. I like clean and tidy and I don't mind picking up after myself, just not other people. I don't know how to decorate my apt. either which is a great reason to have a female roommate, all the little things they have to make a place feel comfy, guys apartments are so spartan. The best I can muster is to always have fresh flowers in my living room.

zee

TRIBE Member
i find it can go either way
i've heard too many horror stories about psycho roomies
though i think i got lucky with my current roomie.
it's great - we share cleaning and cooking duties and we get along great (of course we were good friends beforehand)
we're super laidback. in the 2 yrs we've lived together, we've never had a fight, let alone an argument

plus every once in a while we'd stay at our respective bf/gf's place which leaves the other with the apartment for the night to chill and relax in solitude

its the best of both worlds :)

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I've done both, and it really is a tough choice. When living alone you get to live the way you want, but having roommates is really fun.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
i remember having a lot of fun with my old roommates, especially one who i believe to be my "roommate soul mate."

it's hard though, once you become accustomed to living on your own. moving into shared accomodations might feel like a step backwards for me. and more imporantly, i might be an absolute BEAST to live with, having been on my own for so long.

juice

TRIBE Member
I was close to living with a roommate but it never happened, best thing to ever not happen. I've only ever lived alone or with a significant other. I really enjoy my own space or the space I've created with a partner and with my financial situation I'll never have to take the roommate road. Not that it isn't good for some people (in fact I've heard some great stories ... but I've also heard some horror stories), it's just not for me.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by geminigirl
I am not the kind of person that cares much for company. I most of the time rather hang out alone.

Me too, most of the time, but after a while it starts to get to me. I start losing the ability to function in social situations.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
I Love being out at clubs with friends and I'm a social butterfly when I'm out...but outside the club, I much prefer to hang out at home alone. I could't care less for any company. I am a very good at entertaining myself. I never get bored.

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
I've never lived alone 'cause I moved out last year and always had roomies.

And I can honestly my roomie rawks.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Muad'ib
Me too, most of the time, but after a while it starts to get to me. I start losing the ability to function in social situations.

but are you spending ALL your time at home? if that's the case, there's your problem...not the fact that you don't have a roommate.

after working 8 til 5, coming home and being chill by myself is heavenly.

Living on your own does take a bit of getting used to, I was very lonely and felt very isolated when I first moved into my apartment, but I got over it. I found it was a very good time to get to know myself better and understand myself a lot better in what motivates me and how I like to spend my time.

starr

TRIBE Member
i only recently realized that i like living alone

i NEED my downtime
or else i'm a complete bitch or completely withdrawn with the people i live with

wish i had realized that when i had roommates so i could tell them
but it's not like they were perfect either
live and learn