• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Romancing the lay-deez

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Hey All,

So admittedly, I'm pretty crap at being romantic. I suck at ideas. I've got a few that I've run by my woman and they're pretty tired and overplayed like bath with candles, etc.

My gf is complaining to me that I never find other ways to say 'I love you'. Obviously I do, but she's looking for a bit of variety, but I can't seem to figure out how to say it. I'm very much a guy's guy sometimes - even though I have a feminine side to me as well.

She's not big on gifts. In fact, she hates being given gifts and doesn't like flashy stuff. She just more or less likes doing stuff together with me - whether that be walks, watching a movie or what-have-you. Since we seem to do that stuff all the time.

I'm looking for some suggestions?

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I'm in the same boat except my wife loves gifts. I just don't like buying them and would rather substitute with romantic gestures.

rawd

TRIBE Member
'Just because' flower delivery to her workplace works everytime. Broads that love shit, son.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I'm a girl, but just wanted to say my husband is romantically challenged as well. For Christmas he got me a set of used snowtires, for christmas a few years ago he got me stuff for the puppy I wanted but never got (bowl etc).

I'm learning to try and accept that is who he is and see his other strengths (obviously I like other stuff since I married him!) Fancy nights out, or special occasions I have to more or less spell it out to him, or make all the plans myself.

we try and show each other appreciation in the little things. Say thank you when either makes dinner. If you are making yourself a lunch for the next day make one for her to. Pick her up, or drive her somewhere if she want's to go out with friends and you don't want to go (or give her cab fare). Make an effort to meet her friends / get to know them. Clean the house. Clean her car off if it snows.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Maybe you just keep doing the same activities and it's becoming routine?

Try thinking out of the box. For example:

Casa Loma Events

Date Night Archery at Casa Loma!

Saturday, February 2, 2013

5:30 PM - 7:30 PM 8:00 PM -10:00 PM

Saturday, February 16, 2013 - Valentine's Themed Class

5:30 PM - 7:30 PM

Casa Loma is pleased to offer an Archery Workshop catering to couples only. Join our NCCP trained archery coach, Shawn Adams, for an opportunity to learn the sport of archery. After the initial training, couples will take part in paired-themed games! Casa Loma Archery classes are very popular! Class size is small and limited to 10 people (5 couples)/session. Over the years, this program has sold out very quickly. To avoid disappointment, please register early.
Price: $45.00 + HST/person
To register, please phone 647-725-1826 or 647-725-1822

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
are you fucking kidding me? i was just saying / half-joking to my gf the other day how we should go shoot off some crossbows in the woods, and then we started talking about archery. i should seriously jump on this.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Weird! I just signed up for this over the weekend. Was going to last year, but let it slide. There was a Grid article on this.

For a less romantic (or more?) option, there is an axe throwing league in a place on Sterling. They let you bring your own beer.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Once in a while, there is a kickass deal happening at Embassy Suites in Niagara Falls - includes breakfast for the next day and some vouchers for dining. You can also do a Niagara Fun Tour [wine tour] where the pick up will be near Embassy Suites. It's perfect thing to do in winter esp now we're having a warm spell.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Or start a project together. Make your own Wine or Beer.

Dance Classes?

Cooking Classes?

If she isn't a gift person and values spending time with you over trinkets do that but do something that is out of your comfort zone. Particularly something that involves intarcting with each other or working to gether for a common goal.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Speaking of romantic evening of weapon practice. If anyone can direct me to a place to buy a quality "Excalibur" replica sword, it would really help me score points with my love. Not just a prop, but an actual sword.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I did this, and still get props on it to this day. Spend an hour and do up a bunch of gift certificates in MS Word, and give her a coupon book with things like

-30 minute Body Massage
-15 minute foot massage
-Breakfast in Bed
-Movie Date Night
-etc, etc.

The idea of classes together are great. If you go to the Harborfront center, they even have things like pottery, glassblowing and other types of craft-like classes.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
We like anything that indicates effort. Special/fun dates are nice like a hotel somewhere or the archery sitch, but what men don't know is that those type of gestures are EQUAL to doing stuff that is seemingly tedious and boring and unromantic in the eyes of a woman. Exactly as Lucky1 indicated: big snowstorm, shovel her driveway/walk (appreciate she might not have one) or get the snow off and warm up her car. Clean up the kitchen/unload the dishwasher (to her specifications, not yours) and she will fucking swoon. Go out of your way to do something she hates, and she'll think you're the greatest man alive. Particularly as its the most selfless act, versus something you could enjoy too.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Weird! I just signed up for this over the weekend. Was going to last year, but let it slide. There was a Grid article on this.

For a less romantic (or more?) option, there is an axe throwing league in a place on Sterling. They let you bring your own beer.
My good friends run The Old Carriage House in Stirling, if anyone ever needs a good bed & breakfast spot.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Hey All,

So admittedly, I'm pretty crap at being romantic. I suck at ideas. I've got a few that I've run by my woman and they're pretty tired and overplayed like bath with candles, etc.

My gf is complaining to me that I never find other ways to say 'I love you'. Obviously I do, but she's looking for a bit of variety, but I can't seem to figure out how to say it. I'm very much a guy's guy sometimes - even though I have a feminine side to me as well.

She's not big on gifts. In fact, she hates being given gifts and doesn't like flashy stuff. She just more or less likes doing stuff together with me - whether that be walks, watching a movie or what-have-you. Since we seem to do that stuff all the time.

I'm looking for some suggestions?
aside from activities or gifts, consider renovating the house while she's away and surprise her with that. just take charge. it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. (this is probably the worst advice you'll ever receive)

JamesM

TRIBE Member
If I actually clean the house and do chores on the reg. That's the best romantic shit ever. No joke.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
For me, it's a night in the city. Rent a hotel room, go out for dinner, drinks, and some entertainment.

Seems to be working so far, though last time she broke her foot on our way out of the hotel, and is still broken. :(

Also, helping around the house seems to be decent, too.

As for gifts...I'm terrible. But gifts are not important to me, nor her(far as I'm aware).

MoFo

TRIBE Member
*shudder*

Thank the lord I'm single. Another thread I can read when I get the silly idea that I might want to actively look for a partner.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Definitely activities, even things like going to the ROM or just going to the mall with her to watch her try on some outfits.

Make some plans that she doesn't know about, surprise her with PLANS. Think of how many times you both ask each other "what do you want for dinner?/what do you want to do", just plan it, do it, and let her relax and not think about it.

She wants to know that you love her and no amount of saying it is going to make her feel that, the truth is you need to spend time with her and pay attention to her, its a tough road to travel because I think all of us only have so much spare time and there's a million things we want to do and some of those things aren't couple-friendly.

Some days that has to take the backseat to hanging with your best friend (no phone, no computer, no tv), ask her questions you normally wouldn't, be interested in what she's doing.

Is she asking you to watch the movies and take the walks? Maybe she wants you to take the initiative and 'want' to do those things without her asking (applies everywhere, not just walks and movies).

Usually though, when a woman says she doesn't feel loved or that saying 'i love you' isn't enough, it means you need to pay more attention to what's she's saying/doing/wanting.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Women love to be eaten out so I would to that more often but maybe wear a tuxedo while doing it or something.

Oh and next time she goes to get you a beer from the bridge, smack her on the ass and go "don't you dare look back at me."