• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Rolling Stones to give free concert to fight global warming

Sporty Dan

TRIBE Member
Well........I stumbled upon this while searching for limousine gas mileage figures.

Its getting harder and harder to take hollywood;s hypocrites and their anti-SUV messages seriously anymore.

dan.

Mick and Keith join the Axis of Hypocrisy
January 25, 2003

This is rich. So let's see how much energy this little endeavor will take:

First of all, Mick, Keith, Ron, and Charlie will need to get to the concert. Since it will be free, I'm assuming a stadium venue. Mick and Keith, being the real heart of the band, will each leave their 10,000 sq. foot mansions(which given the weather these days, must be going though a few hundred million BTUs a day, easy. But of course, we won't count that, since that isn't part of the concert) Since Mick and Keith will be stoned, they'll take a limo to the concert. If they leave from London, they'll be taking a Rolls Royce Silver Seraph limo, 5.4L DOHC v-12, EPA mileage of 12 city/16 highway. Since traffic is rather gnarly in London, we'll assume he's getting a solid 14 mpg. Figure an hour drive to the airport, at 55 mph, and that's about 4 gallons of premium. If he's only leaving from New York, he'll be taking a Lincoln Town Car limo, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and say he's taking only taking the 6" stretched Cartier L, which, due to its dinky 4.6L OHC v8 gets a phenomenally economical 17 mpg city, and in New York, it's all city driving, so that's the best he can hope for. JFK airport is just about 17 miles away from Park Avenue, so he manages to get away with only a gallon of gas.

OK, so now, Mick and Keith are at the airport. Of course, being major stars, they don't fly first class, they fly on a private jet. Though they're rich, they probably can't afford anything really exotic like a 737, so they're probably forced to fly something pedestrian like a Gulfstream IV. If they're flying from New York(about 3500 miles) they can probably get away with a G400, which will use only about 20,000 to 25,000 lbs of jet fuel to go to LA(at 6lbs per gallon, about 3,500 gallons, or about 100 barrels) If they're flying from London(5700 miles), though, the G400 isn't going to have the range. For that they'll need the bigger, badder G550, which will frugally sip another 5,000 to 10,000 extra pounds of fuel, for a total of 30,000 to 35,000 lbs, or about 5,000 to 6,000 gallons, or 150 to 175 barrels. The fact that it has extra groupie capacity is just gravy.

On arriving in LA, they're going to want to kick their feet up and sleep off the jet lag. So they'll book themselves in at the LA Biltmore, and get the Presidential Suite, whose two floors and 4600 sq ft will be air conditioned to a temperature of 65 degrees to remind them of Jolly Old England, expending another few million BTUs. Oops, can't forget that they took the Town Car limo from the airport, so chalk up another gallon getting from LAX to the Biltmore(18 miles). I know, a gallon of gas is pretty piddling stuff, but we have to give them credit. They didn't take a chopper from the airport, did they?

OK, now they've slept off the jetlag, Keith has drank his obligatory pre-concert bottle of scotch, and it's time to go win one for global warming! Of course, being "the greatest rock band in history" means you can't show up in just any old limo, you have to go in style, lest you be shown up by some two bit rapper. So that means the town car, the stretch town car, even the double stretch town car in its bling-bling pimpin' finery ain't gonna cut it. You need to show up in style to show that You Care. What shows that You Care? Why a Hummer Stretch Limo of course! Now the EPA mileage for a normal Hummer is 13 mpg, but Mick and Keith aren't riding in a normal Hummer, but an extra cool pimping one with Neon and a PlayStation, so it'll get maybe 10 mpg if we're lucky, and since it is about 15 miles away to the Rose Bowl, they'll probably use a gallon and a half to get there, maybe a tad more, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

Of course, just because we have a rock band and a stadium, doesn't mean we have a concert yet. You also need concertgoers, and lots of 'em! Even though the Stones were past their prime 20 years ago, they can still draw a crowd of aging boomers and ecoweenies, especially of the concert is free. So for the sake of argument, lets say they can fill the Rose Bowl to 80% capacity which would be about 80,000 people. Since this is a concert on behalf of the eco-weenies, I think it is safe to assume they are all driving Volvos, since Sweden is the center of Ecoweeniedom, even though they have an economy that rednecks from Mississippi look down on. Since they think SUVs are evil, and since they will still need cargo capacity to carry stuff, they'll be driving the staple of the eternally pretensious, the Volvo Station Wagon(21 city/27 highway). Some will come as couples, some will come with their friends, so let's say an average of 3 ecoweenies per volvo. Since Los Angeles is a sprawling metropolitan area, let's assume that they drive 55 miles to get there. So that means that about 27000 Volvos will converge at the Rose Bowl to watch the concert, driving 55 miles at 27 mpg, meaning that approximately 54,000 gallons of gas will be guzzled on the drive to the concert, and 54,000 gallons will be guzzled on the drive home, for 108,000 gallons of gas, or 3,200 barrels total. At these totals, even the ride in the private jet is small change.

Some of the crowd, though, will come from miles around, especially the 400 donors to the Sierra Club who live on the east coast and want to go to the concert to show that They Care. They'll fly on a 747 in first class, and a flight from New York to LA is 6 hours in length, and the fuel consumption over the course of that flight will be about 11 tons an hour, for a total of 66 tons or 132,000 lbs of fuel, or 22,000 gallons each way or 55 gallons per ecoweenie. They'll have jet lag too, so they'll stay at the Biltmore, each couple taking a taxi(200 Crown Victorias). It is 18 miles from the airport to the hotel, and 15 miles from the hotel to the stadium for 33 total miles. They'll go back to the hotel then the airport by taxi as well, which means twice that distance, or 66 miles. A Crown Vic gets 18 mpg city, so 3.7 gallons per taxi, times 200 taxis equals 740 gallons for our elite ecoweenie brigade.

All right. So Mick, Keith, and the band are there. The concert goers are there, and the concert's ready to start. Well almost ready to start. A concert is no fun if you can't see the band, so we are going to need lights. And since this gang consists of aging boomer ecoweenies, we'll need real bright ones. Luckily, General Electric has that fixed for us. Their top of the line CSR18000/DE double ended Metal Halide bulb will put all the light on that stage we could possibly need. Of course, one fixture won't do. We'll probably need about 100 of those to light up the stage. At 18,000 watts apiece(yes, a bit more powerful than what you can get at home depot) they should use only about 1.8 megawatts/hour for the duration of the concert(3 hours), or about 4.8 Mwatt/hrs total, generated courtesy of the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant.

Not all the light, however, will come from these lights, of course. Some of the light will come from that inevitable rock concert moment when everyone takes out their Bic lighter to create a little mood light. Even though ecoweenies are usually also anti-smoking Nazis, they'll probably buy a lighter for this specific purpose, so we can assume about 2/3rds of the crowd(or 53000 people) will light up at that moment. They'll light up for about 5 minutes total, using 1/5th of an ounce of butane each. That's 10,600 ounces of butane, or 82 gallons of butane.

OK, so now the concert's over. That means Mick and Keith will fly home, meaning another 3500 to 6000 gallons of jetfuel. So let's see what a concert to fight global warming means:
  1. One round trip via limo to the airport and back: 2-10 gallons of gas
  2. One round trip on a private jet to LA and back. 7,000 to 12,000 gallons of jet fuel
  3. One overnight stay at the Presidential suite at the Biltmore Hotel: Umpteen million BTUs for AC
  4. One round trip via limo to the hotel: 2 gallons of gas
  5. One round trip via Hummer limo to the stadium: 3 gallons of gas
  6. 6700 Rampaging Volvos to stadium and home: 27,000 gallons of gas
  7. 400 Arch-Ecoweenies flying round trip to LA: 44,000 gallons of jet fuel
  8. 400 Arch-Ecoweenies taking a taxi round trip from the airport to hotel and hotel to stadium: 740 gallons of gas
  9. 100 Bigass lights to light up the stage for concert: 4.8 Megawatt/hours
  10. 53000 Ecoweenies lighting up their bics for mood lighting: 82 gallons of Butane
    [/list=1]
    So if you are a rock star, want to fight global warming, and show the world that you care, it takes 88260.2 gallons of petroleum products and 4.8 Mwatts+ of nuclear power. Gee, and I thought Barbara Streisand was a hypocrite.

Update: It turns out they are holding the benefit concert at the Staples Center and not at the Rose Bowl(I guess the Stones aren't the draw they used to be). Therefore, instead of 27,000 rampaging volvos, there will be only 6700 rampaging volvos, using 27,000 gallons of gas. Nonetheless, the volvos will still be rampaging.

Update: Guess What? Bill Clinton is going to go to fight global warming too. That means a limo ride from Chappaqua to Westchester Airport (1/2 gallon), and a second G4 from their to LA and back, for another 7001 gallons of fuel. Of course, Bill won't pay for it himself, he'll have some Hollyweird bubblehead pay his way. I'm assuming he'll ride with the band. Groupies are just interns for rock stars.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
I remember hearing recently that Pearl Jam had hired an environmental consultant to calculate the projected amount of pollution produced by their upcoming tour.

I don't really follow the logic on this one ... so you've identifed how much your tour harms the environment, but you are still going ahead with the tour and you still want all of your fans to come out and contribute towards the pollution.

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
Okay, so your logic is: if you want to be famous and raise awareness, then you have to crawl or take a horse and buggie on tour.

Sound!

~atp~

TRIBE Member
*lol* While there is definitely irony in all this, one could extrapolate his argument to include the effects of their influential message on the people. Let's be pessimistic. Say, 1% of the people who hear the message reduce their emmissions by, say, 10%. Now, suppose that the 1% then spreads the message a bit more, but only 1% of those who hear it will reduce their emmissions, by, say, another 10%.

I'm too lazy to do the math, but you'd find a recovery of the harm done, very quickly.

Besides, the argument, while funny, isn't exactly anything to get realistic about. We're all hypocrites to a certain extent, unless we do what Hal-9000 said and drive around in a horse-laden buggie. ;)

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
No one should bother worrying about the environment ever, because our society is designed to destroy it and that's just the fucking way it is. So deal, environment!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sporty Dan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hal-9000
Okay, so your logic is: if you want to be famous and raise awareness, then you have to crawl or take a horse and buggie on tour.

Sound!

No.....the concert had nothing to do with my point actually.

My point was that limousines guzzle just as much gas as SUVs but for some reason you don;t hear Hollywood activists speak out against THEM.

.....they don;t have to show up in horse drawn carriages......since a horse probably puts out MORE CO2 then a car.......but it might increase their credibility with me if they would show up at the Oscars driving their Toyota Insight rather then a limo........

dan.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
You know what's ironic? George W Bush actually has one of the most environmentally friendly homes in the US.

*c*

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hal-9000
Okay, so your logic is: if you want to be famous and raise awareness, then you have to crawl or take a horse and buggie on tour
I'm basically saying that throwing a concert is a poor way to draw attention to the problem of pollution. There's really no way you can pull it off without being hypocritical.

It's kind of like the Om Festival. The event is billed as being environmentally friendly because everyone is encouraged to clean up their garbage and because they serve only vegetarian meals. Yeah ... that's great. What about the fact that you're drawing thousands of automobiles (and their emissions) into an otherwise pristine wildnerness area? And what about all of the dirty diesel generators that power the stages?

The bottom line is that people who want to be preachy should be held to a higher standard in terms of following their own advice.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
come on, guys. i would think a bit of extra pollution in order to (i) raise awareness for thousands/millions through publicity and media and (ii) raise money to support the activists in this cause would be a good trade-off.

the amount of extra pollution is relatively minor so i don't agree with calling the performers that are lending their talents "hypocrites".

also, how do you know they will be travelling by limosine? lots of stars are now purposely riding around in smaller cars to prove a point. (this was very evident at the oscars.)

ps. i am not debating the merits of this cause because frankly i have not read up on the opposing arguments.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
I remember hearing recently that Pearl Jam had hired an environmental consultant to calculate the projected amount of pollution produced by their upcoming tour.

I don't really follow the logic on this one ... so you've identifed how much your tour harms the environment, but you are still going ahead with the tour and you still want all of your fans to come out and contribute towards the pollution.

Maybe you should read up more on what exactly Pearl Jam is doing in regards to helping the environment and social issues among many other things.

Here is a post from their website regarding what you heard.
Yes they have identified the amount of harm and yes they are going ahead with the tour. They are also offsetting the amount of pollution they will create by purchasing an amount of rain forest that will offset the pollution created.

"April 23, 2003 Keeping Climate Cool?. We just wanted to let you know that we're excited about the work that we've been doing with Conservation International (CI) and their partner the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS). Because we are concerned about the environment, we have committed to offset the greenhouse gas emissions of our 2002 tour. Pearl Jam is concerned that the release of CO2 into our atmosphere causes climate change, which has serious detrimental effects on our Earth including global warming. Conservation International helped us estimate the direct carbon emissions (as CO2 ) of the tour including the trucks, buses and airplanes that will move the tour through its 30,000-mile route. Furthermore, we have taken the unprecedented step of including in our calculations the emissions of the estimated 1 million fans driving to and from the shows. These combined sources will result in 5,700 tons of CO2 being released into the atmosphere! In order to offset the warming (and other nasty) impacts of these emissions, Pearl Jam is funding a joint WCS-CI project to protect one of the world?s most threatened rainforests. Did you know that the destruction of tropical forests actually contributes the release of 20 percent of humanity?s CO2 emissions? The way our money will work is through a concept, developed by CI, called Conservation Carbon. The basic idea is to fund conservation efforts through ?carbon offset? projects that help stop the burning and destruction of pristine natural forests which store carbon. Pearl Jam is supporting this, not only because protecting forests help store carbon, but also because the project contributes to habitat protection for endangered plant and animal species and sustainable livelihoods for local communities. Pearl Jam has learned about a remote place desperately in need of this kind of innovative solution. Off the coast of South-eastern Africa is the island of Madagascar. Madagascar is full of the most amazing and unique animals and plants that occur nowhere else but it is a very poor country. The forests of Madagascar are being threatened by fire and logging and they are disappearing rapidly. The Makira forest in the northeast of Madagascar is one of the largest remaining patches of rainforest on this island continent and it is the last refuge for thousands of rare and endangered plant and animal species ? including several species of critically endangered lemurs. It is in the Makira forest that Pearl Jam money is helping to launch this new style of conservation project. At the request of the Government of Madagascar, WCS has been leading the efforts on the ground to help create and manage a new protected area in Makira with the help of the local communities and CI. Pearl Jam, CI and WCS all strongly believe that without the close collaboration and support of local communities, there can be no successful conservation project. Work continues to finalize this Conservation Carbon project in Makira. We?ll keep you posted on the progress of this work"
http://www.pearljam.com/

Peace,

Maui

-ravetrash-

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
The bottom line is that people who want to be preachy should be held to a higher standard in terms of following their own advice.

There's something very ironic about seeing this being spewed forth from your keyboard.

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by -ravetrash-
There's something very ironic about seeing this being spewed forth from your keyboard.

But Adrian practices absolutely everything he preaches.

juice

TRIBE Member
A number of bands are combating the environmental damages on their tours and or CD production through a foundation called Future Forests. It calls for them to plant enough trees to offset the amount of CO2 that is generated during the production and or touring of their CDs. I think this is a pretty good start for bands that make millions at at least want to try and give something back.

More info on the story here

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Hypocrisy

Here's the thing .... throwing rock concerts around the world is a completely pointless and wasteful use of resources from an environmental standpoint. I refuse to be told about the evils of overconsumption by a bunch of people who overconsume. Do we really -need- big concert tours? Is the enjoyment of hearing music in a footbal stadium really worth the environmental damage, as opposed to listening at home?

Everyone is skeptical and cynical when multinational corporations make seemingly token gestures to support the environment or social issues. The assumption is that corporations are acting out of self-interest to boost their sales and not actually making any real changes to their own practices.

Sound familiar? I wonder how much the Rolling Stones or Pearl Jam are worth?

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by -ravetrash-
There's something very ironic about seeing this being spewed forth from someone named "ravetrash". :p

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Adrians next argument:

Do we really need to wipe our asses? I mean just think about all the trees that are cut down every year so we can wipe our ass. I mean, if environmentalists were truly concerned about the environment, they wouldn't wipe their asses, or eat for that matter, considering what we eat comes from the environment and when we eat it we destroy it. Goddamn you people are such hypocrites.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
After that:

Why are you people continuing to breathe the air of hypocrisy, I mean, do you have any Idea how much C02 you're spewing into the air each year, if you were a real environmentalist you'd knife yourself dead and make sure your puréed body is composted.

JMan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
After that:

Why are you people continuing to breathe the air of hypocrisy, I mean, do you have any Idea how much C02 you're spewing into the air each year, if you were a real environmentalist you'd knife yourself dead and make sure your puréed body is composted.

LO-freakin'-L!

For me, the environment issue needs to start with every joe regular taking a degree of personal responsibility... the splendor of everything that "is", nature if you will, will swallow up everything we are doing and regenerate itself... even if we blow ourselves to smitherines with nukes... but the real key IMO is that people realize they are part of that fabric, and we should *try* and be mindful and respectful. We all need to take car trips and flush toilets and turn on lites... just be respectful, and spread the word.

J

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
But wait!

Since this is a free concert, doesn't that mean that tickets don't have to be printed? Think of the trees being saved!

And think of where money comes from? Trees! If people don't have to spend money on tickets, then they're helping the environment, right?

ooh... just one last question.

Adrian, Sporty Dan, etc... haven't you guys been arguing for months that Global Warming isn't a product of human activity? So wouldn't that mean that these stars driving their cars around would not (by your standards) even have an effect on global warming?

Yes, I am simply being a shit-dirturber. :D

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Oh come on, Pete!

You know I've been arguing that global warming is not a product of human activity for MUCH longer than a few months! ;)