• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Rolling Stones & Friends @ Downsview

Heinz57

TRIBE Member
had a ridiculously good time... even though everytime i found a friend of mine, i lost them 5 minutes later...

The amount of people was just mind boggling..

AC/DC definately stole the show... i've never really been a fan, but was fully impressed..

The sound during the Stones was all messed up... at least where i was.... one of the speakers had an incredible delay on it, that just totally ruined the performance for me...

Transit getting out was no problem at all... after seeing the massive crowd of people waiting to get on the subway, we decided to walk (not really sure where to, but in our drunken stupor we really didnt care)... eventually caught a bus at Wilson & Bathurst that took us to St Clair W. station.. the trains were crowded, but had no problem getting on... The whole trip to Osgoode station took about an hour.. which made me extremely happy, because we made it well before last call...

Only real complaints were the beer tents closing at 8pm, and the sound during the Stones..

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
"It was Aussie Neanderthal-rockers AC/DC — who, if T-shirt sales and casual surveying were to be believed, rivaled the Stones in drawing power — who finally put the night over the top, though. Taking the penultimate slot, the band's raucous manner, Angus Young's Maple Leaf undies and a repertoire of fist-pumping favourites like "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be," "Dirty Deeds (Done Dirt Cheap)" and "Hell's Bells" sent the first genuine rock `n' roll frisson to the back of the park."

noodle

TRIBE Member
I just heard Justin was one of the people jumping around in an animal suit during the Flaming Lip's set.

Amazing what friends will do for friends.

debunct

TRIBE Promoter
how about dj trip playing the beatles "revolution" with everyone doing the peace sign?....that was wicked.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Karim

TRIBE Member
All I can say is Meh. I expected it to be worse than it was in terms of crowd control, lineups and everything, but I realize that festivals of this calibre are not really my thing. I'd rather pay $200 for a nice seat in a concert hall/arena/stadium/ampitheatre, where I'm guaranteed quality sound, the crowd # is limited, and I get a really good view of the stage. Cause it sucks having to depend on seeing the show on one of the jumbo screens.

I know there's the arguement that I'd never see a lineup of this calibre in a normal concert setting, but then again, I'd have traded this entire lineup for a 2 hour set from U2. So it's all just a matter of my personal preferance to how I like to enjoy live music.

Not to say it wasn't fun. It was and I tried to make the most of it, and I never fail to have a good time at such events, but the effort it takes to have such a good time dictates whether or not it's worth it.

But there's nothing like the sound of half a million fans cheering at the same time. I experienced it once, and once is enough.

:)
Karim

Karim

TRIBE Member
Oh, and I was so so so so so surprised at how many people I ran into that I knew. And I'm from st. catharines. I didn't expect to run into anybody.

CRAZY

:)
Karim

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
I knew AC/DC would bring out the total nuts

A little mosh pit got started beside me when they came on,I survived.:)

Neck is a little sore from the fuckin surfers though.This one blonde guy must have landed on his head 4 times and he still kept doing it. lol

3 cheers to the guy with the moose horn that got the crowd going.

Now for the next concert i say this would bring in a million.

Led Zepplin... reunion
The Who
Aerosmith
Pink Floyd
U2
Ac/Dc

G-FrEsH

TRIBE Promoter
Did anyone else see the 4 amercians tryin to sing O Canada.?

"" True Patriarc "" lol.. They tried to sing it for like 30 mins. then they went to sing Star Spangled banner to the 4 cops jsut standing around....

DAve...

jasonchaos

TRIBE Promoter
Props to the organizers, a solid event lots of people, pot and cops!
We now know where we stand with regards to ..... or do we!
Upon arrival at the gat 7ish, Jelo and I walked right on in no hassles and the staff seemed to either be tired or just didn't care at that point but friendly.
we missed last call as they would not sell any Beer tickets after 7:30 thx guys, made the long trip there that much worse as the heat was dreadful and a cold one was very much needed.
We began to make our way somewhere, where who knows as there were people every where. The screens up around the park allowed for quite a clear view of performers however the sound through the middle of the park was horrible cutting in and out, it was unclear and the rumbling we could hear was coming from stacks much closer to the stage. It was quite a site to see almost 500,000 people all in the same place, and goes to show that toronto does have taste and a respect for loud abnoxious americans that really do not have a clue!

We left after AC/DC as it was quite clear at that point who had stolen the show! We left at the end of AC/DC and eaded back for the gate well ahead of the masses, ad were home within 40mins!

The Steak sandwich we ought first was great the second a little closer o the gate not so great!!!

Who's in for an Electronic Sars relief! We've all felt it!

This event has certainly set the standard for thenext regardless of where in the world it is held!

Peace,

Jason Chaos

I am still pissed with those who ditched like we were going to find each other there!!!

Who else had issues with their cell phones? I think i can still feel the radiation from signals coming and going!

noodle

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MC Bias
I was about 30 feet in front of 102.

T.O.B'

That's pretty much exactly where I was too. Directly infront of 102 about 30-50 feet. I was there for about 9 hours (8am-5pm).

I was the girl screaming at all the booing guys during Justin Timberlake and dancing like crazy the rest of the time.

I'm glad I left to a more breathable spot when things got crazy. I know being a girl and getting sucked into a mosh pit isn't the safest of things.

I was just pissed I had to give up our beautiful spot we were at for so long. I guess nobody cared about other peoples space at that point.

Last edited:

klaarwater

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cheer Bear
AC/DC IS THE GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD

I had an AMAZING time. Best concert I've ever been to.

EVER.

HELLS YEAH!

AC/DC by far was the loudest and rockin'ist performance there!

What an exceptional concert for $20... that will never happen again!

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Words can not describe how sad I am that I didn't go to see ACDC rock out like that. From watching it on tv I could see how powerful a performance that was...they soooo stole the show.

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member

"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"

If your havin' trouble with your high school head
He's givin' you the blues
You wanna graduate but not in 'is bed
Here's what you gotta do -
Pick up the phone
I'm here alone
Call me any time
36 24 36 (slaver)
I lead a life of crime

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Your havin' problems in your life of love
You got a broken heart
He's double dealin' with your best friend
That's when the teardrops start -
Pick up the phone
I'm here alone
Or make a social call
Come right in
Forget about him
We'll have ourselves a ball

If you got a lady but you want her gone
But you ain't got the guts
She keeps naggin' you night and day
Enough to drive you nuts -
Pick up the phone
Leave her alone
It's time you made a stand
For a fee I'll be happy to be
Your back door man

Concrete shoes, cyanide, TNT
Done Dirt Cheap
Neckties, contracts, high voltage
Done Dirt Cheap

AGrayson

TRIBE Member
This is a long shot, but..

Did anyone else see a naked dude in the grass around beer tent 11 at, say, 6:30-ish?

It was like one of those nightmare dreams you have (or at least I have) where you're somewhere public naked. This dude had some "self control" problems, and it seemed he had soiled his pants.. so he removed them.. and everybody cheered.. then he took his shirt off to clean himself up.. and at this point was naked.. then tried to put his shirt around is waist (which, everyone assumed, was soiled by that point) and everyone started booing..

It was the craziest thing I had ever seen. Next to the 500,000 people in an airfield part. Total blast.

Adam

TRIBE Member
Having been involved in organizing some big events, I have to admit, I was blown away by how well this event was organized. Some meatball was complaining about beer and food lines, but that is to be expected if you have ever been to a big concert. I waited a total of 2 minutes to get in and when I left (at the very end) I waited 5 minutes to get on a bus that took me to Yonge and Sheppard. Pretty good for 500,000 people trying to get home.

As far as the show is concerned, AC/DC owned it. I have now seen them 4 times and they never fail to impress. However, when the Stones did Ruby Tuesday, it was pretty intense.

Bullocks to Chrome, who draged Elio and I for 2 hours across the crowd to a beer tent we couldn't get into!

I will post all pictures of what quickly became the "Mullet Cam" as soon as possible.

Matt

Eccentric (LRG)

TRIBE Member
Umm I came , I SARS, I conquered ?
:D
I had fun, I only went for JT.
I felt bad he got so boo'd at.

most memorible thing will be:
whent he guy crowd surfing above me
kicked the back of my head and I grabbed his belt
and pulled him down with all my might. Causeing
him to plumit to the ground.

Crowd surfing is GHEY!

thing I wanted to do most:
Flask the cameras and crowd but had no shoulders
to perch myself upon. :(

redeyes

TRIBE Member
this was the best $21 i've ever spent. i'm going to remember yesterday for the rest of my life.

there's nothing like blazin' a fatty and singing along with 450,000 people to Ruby Tuesday.

peace

Aser

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by CP89

Keith Richards, before singing (horribly, I might add) a bluesy
ballad, dedicates it to casualties of SARS:

"....this next song goes out to all those who took the hit..."

that was actually a highlight for me.....I like unexpected covers at a concert, instead of the usual hit barrage. That bluesy song was a cover of "The Nearness Of You" penned by Hoagy Carmichael. Norah Jones did a great cover of it recently.....Keith's slurring made my day, he must be one hella funny dude to share a pint of Boddingtons with.

Z-trip was a pleasant suprise, he's huge out on the west coast (especially Cali) but for some reason nobody books him on the east. You've heard a good representation of him in that set, his trademark is the blending of unlikely combinations. Stuff like a pat benatar disco instrumental w/ a hiphop accapella. I believe this was the 1st time he's ever did a T.O. gig.

Only low points were some of the people who were paranoid about their blankets/sitting area. This is a general admission event, what do they expect? A roped off section where nobody can walk on? I tried my best to avoid stepping on anything but some people were just out right rude. These people are most likely the ones that haven't gone out to a concert in ages.

On the whole 99% of the people were extremely friendly. I went for water and picked up a few extra bottles for my neighbours. Later on they buy me a slice of pizza....everybody was in a very giving mood. I counted at least 10 people w/ crutches or casts on their feet. Also I counted 10 girls wearing this same pink Miss Behaving top......Not to mention the # of lame trucker hats I saw. It's a sad state when everybody dresses the same, hehe.

Last edited:

Aser

TRIBE Member
forgot to add...the reason why pretty much none of the cellphones worked was due to congestion. The towers/switches in that area aren't made to handle that many cellphone users in one location. Basically think of the network in that area as a local 2 lane road such as sheppard. It's not built to handle the amount of traffic like a 5 lane 401 highway.

I basically was caught on phone tag w/ my friends the entire day. Leaving messages back and forth. It's to be expected anytime you go to a crowded area.

noodle

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Aser

Only low points were some of the people who were paranoid about their blankets/sitting area. This is a general admission event, what do they expect? A roped off section where nobody can walk on? I tried my best to avoid stepping on anything but some people were just out right rude. These people are most likely the ones that haven't gone out to a concert in ages.

I pretty much surrendered my towell to the mercy of the crowed. But there was a point were people just needed to give up trying to get to the front. If I couldn't put my hands on my hips because the crowed was too dense, there was no way in hell I was letting people pass me. People also need to realize if they leave their spot...they might not (physically) be able to get back and that no matter what "concert mentallity" is, it's just not right to cram your bodies together when you're in a crowed of half a million people.

Oh ya...I had to teach so many people proper party etiquiette. If you need to get by me and you push me, I'm going to elbow you in stomach and scream at you. If you tap gentelly and say excuse me, I will be the friendliest person in the world to you.

I felt like such a mother sometimes..but some of these punks needed to learn some manners somehow.