• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

rogers usage measurement system

billy

TRIBE Member
has anyone looked into this? they have a tool on the rogers site breaking down day by day the upload/download usage on your account. there is a 60GB limit for your billing period. i skimmed over the FAQ on this and they claim that "their estimates" indicate that only 98% of their users reach this limit.

their process for dealing with those that exceed this limit seems a bit vague. it says that they have the right to suspend your service, but nothing seems to state that it will happen without question. offenders are to receive a notice (in what form i don't know).

to date i haven't heard a peep about this and according to our usage log my housemate and i easily surpass this limit. has anyone here actually received a notice about this or had a suspension due to this? is it just a scare tactic?

zoo

TRIBE Member
i'm on cogeco in hamilton

jan 2006 - 32 gb down, 30 gb up

feb 2006 - 56 gb down, 44gb up

marc 2006 - 71gb down, 69 gb up

no complaints so far ..

i doubt rogers will do much

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
i did over WELL over 100gigs in the month.. the next month they suspended me because the ports were not open for limewire..

I went with 3web (they buy off rogers though) , but there is no limits. The speeds are double (6mbit line).. download off newsgroups and good sites with 700+ KB / sec. Oh, and it is cheaper :)

Jay

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
i've heard of people getting warnings. you have to continually seriously abuse the service to raise the flags though. one guy i know was doing well over 100 / month for multiple months. my sister had her service shut off for a week cuz her computer was spewing gigs and gigs worth of virus spam. she couldn't fix the virus without her internet though. duh.

db

TRIBE Member
My limit with Rogers is 120GB/month...never had any problems pushing that boundary and I've done it a few times..

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
I have been booted off the network a few times lately when running some torrentz. I just had to reboot the modem and all was good.

billy

TRIBE Member
according to the log we hit around 188GB in january, but my housemate spends ALOT of time on his computer and i believe was pretty much dling entire movies that month.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
db said:
My limit with Rogers is 120GB/month...never had any problems pushing that boundary and I've done it a few times..
Actually looks like extreme was dropped to 100GB/month.

But I agree... I've pushed that limit several times in a row and have never even got a warning. I think for extreme users they probably let us off the hook a bit.

billy

TRIBE Member
they now plan to take some different action on this. effective may 29th users who exceed their limit and have done so in the past 3 months will be dropped to hi-speed ultra lite (128kbps) until the cycle is done. word is that it will happen without notice.

i have mixed views on it. according to their previous terms, your service would be temporarily suspended but i don't think they did that to many ppl. with this new punishment it means you will still have service, but just slower. the kicker is that you will still be paying for whatever service you have. the bottom line is that the limits are there and were made clear. i wouldn't be that worried about it if it wasn't for my housemate being a downloading whore.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i hear cogeco just increased everyone's servie to 7mbps and doubled the monthly caps

hurray! :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
Well I just got the letter... cease usage or we drop the limits to internet light. Seeing as we use this line for business every day 9hrs a day that won't work.

So the question is, who has uncapped limits out there, and how much is it going to cost me?

Cogeco has a 100GB limit as well. That just won't do.

I need 150-200GB/month. I can limit my usage to those marks if needed.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
You have to exceed limits for 3 months in a row I think.

I was 150-200GB/month for Jan/Feb/March/April. God knows how... but it was true. January was 245GB... I got a new LCD tv that month... correlation... nooooooo

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
Well I just got the letter... cease usage or we drop the limits to internet light. Seeing as we use this line for business every day 9hrs a day that won't work.

So the question is, who has uncapped limits out there, and how much is it going to cost me?

Cogeco has a 100GB limit as well. That just won't do.

I need 150-200GB/month. I can limit my usage to those marks if needed.
Sympatico Highspeed/Ultra has no BW cap. Basic Lite has a cap of 1GB, and Basic has a cap of 2GB. Highspeed = 46.95/month Ultra = 50$/month. Both are 5MB DSL.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
re: sympatico

Yeah, I called them to verify this... my experience with DSL has been mixed. The performance of cable has a clear edge these days, but not having a cap is probably more important to me at this point.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

billy

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
You have to exceed limits for 3 months in a row I think.
i heard it was a simple as once in the past 3 months, but we have surpassed it the past 3 billing cycles. i initially found out about it via my housemate who heard about it on an internet watchdog sort of message board. they were all up in arms about how rogers was going to do it without telling it's customers, but i received the official letter this week.

like i said, under the terms they had once they implemented this cap, punishment was complete service suspension though the notification process was a bit vague. now they will notify you via your rogers.com addy, which i don't even use nor have i even set up. for what it's worth, at least under these new terms you still get service just no where near what you are accustom to. the irony is that to check your usage also counts towards the cap.

it pisses me off because i subscribe to 3 rogers services. sure i get a bundles discount but these fuckers have me by the balls for about another year and yet they are still screwing me. modern urban users can hit this limit with ease. there has been talk about ppl researching 3web but they just redistribute rogers service so the cap is most likely still there, just a bit cheaper. apparently VOIP usage doesn't count towards the cap.

billy

TRIBE Member
interesting little side story that i think some of you may be able to relate to. i get home from work this evening and my roomie tells me our service has been down since 4pm (it's around 7:30 by this point). we wait it out for a bit then i decide to call up rogers, which is always entertaining. i go through the usual info process then the usual check the lights, cables, un plug and plug in again routine (yada yada), have you moved anything recently (more yada yada) and wrap it up with the predictable "we'll have a technician come by". they did acknowledge that we were offline but our area was fine but that's about it. literally a minute after i hang up everything is back up and fine. coincidence...doubt it. what are they hiding? is that all it takes is a call and go through the motions to get no answer and then let the magic happen? this same situation has happened before. i'm happy to be online again, but why can't they just tell me what went wrong?

Lojack

TRIBE Member
billy said:
literally a minute after i hang up everything is back up and fine. coincidence...doubt it. what are they hiding? is that all it takes is a call and go through the motions to get no answer and then let the magic happen? this same situation has happened before. i'm happy to be online again, but why can't they just tell me what went wrong?
Because the front-line tech's don't know, and don't have access to find out. No ISP is going to give tier one and tier two technical support access, because those staff do not have the knowledge of how the network operates, and how to fix something without breaking something else.

What likely happened is that a ticket was opened, and passed to the relevant department. A knowledgable engineer looks at it, immediately recognizes the problem, and fixes it. Solved. The person who answered your call is none-the-wiser, but you're back on-line.

* Note: I work for a rival ISP.

-- Lojak.

billy

TRIBE Member
Lojack said:
What likely happened is that a ticket was opened, and passed to the relevant department. A knowledgable engineer looks at it, immediately recognizes the problem, and fixes it. Solved. The person who answered your call is none-the-wiser, but you're back on-line.
that makes sense. i made a follow up call a day later and asked the individual why the problem was resolved so soon after the call. he couldn't give me an answer like yours. i tried to squeeze it out of him but gave up and told him to obviously cancel the appointment.

you are right though - the problem was fixed in the end. i just hate going through all those questions they have to ask (is it plugged in? :p ). maybe next time i'll just tell him how many lights are on the modem and that everything is plugged in and to skip the appt and just create the ticket.

thanks for the inside info!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories