• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Rogers to Offer Phone Service over Cable

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Rogers plans phone service on cable by 2005

By TERRY WEBER
Globe and Mail Update

Rogers Communications Inc. said Thursday it plans to offer residential and business phone service over its cable network by 2005, making it the latest cable player looking to muscle its way into the telecom market.

Last week, Shaw Communications Inc.'s Shaw Telecom said it had applied to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission to become a competitive local exchange carrier, a regulatory designation for new telephone companies.

Elsewhere in Canada, smaller regional companies are also already offering telephone service over cable lines. EastLink — based in Halifax — has been offering a similar service for more than a year.

“This furthers our preparation and commitment to providing customers with full service solutions that deliver the simplicity, quality and value they want in their communications, entertainment and information services in one package, on one bill, from one provider, Rogers president and chief executive officer Ted Rogers said.

Under the plan, Toronto-based Rogers said it expects to begin service — conditional on regulatory approval — by the middle of 2005, with service being offered to about 1.8 million customers.

It said it expects to expand the service to the “vast majority” of its cable customers the following year.

Rogers said it expects to spend about $200-million on fixed capital costs for the project, with between $140-million and $170-million of that spending taking place this year.

Variable capital costs — linked to added each voice-over-cable subscriber — is expected to be between $300 and $340 per customer.

“Rogers' digital voice telephone service will allow consumers that switch their home or business telephone service to Rogers' digital phone service to keep their existing phone numbers and receive popular calling features such as directory assistance, enhanced 911 emergency service, call waiting, caller ID and voice mail, as well as many new services,” the company said.

As well, the plan calls for the new service to connect to each existing telephone jack in a home or office “utilizing existing wiring, and will provide uninterruptible back-up powering in the event of an electrical outage,” Rogers said.

http://globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040212.wroger0112/BNStory/Business/
---------------------------------------------
About time that Bell got some competition. Course this will all happen after I leave the country. oh well.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

defazman

TRIBE Member
One? I'm on Sprint and loving every minute of it!

The Soo recently announced they will be the first Canadian municipality to offer high speed internet through the power lines. Now that's interesting.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Yeah I would have to agree that while in theory two is better than one, in this case you have two massive scumbags trying to fuck you instead of one. Jokes.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Primus is offering the same.

VOIP.
Voice over IP

Which is cool and all.. as long as your internet provider keeps providing. Which they seem to have trouble doing.

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
Wireless internet is pretty fucking cool I think, I was browsing for a couple of secs on this chicks comp and it seems fast. Does anyone know how stable it is? and how much loot you have to throw down?

Alright with rogers we are gonna be able to talk 5X fasters, sweet ass.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher

VOIP.
Voice over IP

Which is cool and all.. as long as your internet provider keeps providing. Which they seem to have trouble doing.

Nick, its a little different than Primus though - at least, from what Primus is offering in Calgary. Currently their service requires high speed internet and is just a box plugged into a router with a special handset. Limitations include no location tracking for 911 service and it will not work during a power outage. I've also started hearing that the bandwidth useage will send some people over their monthly cap.

I would assume (but we all know what that means) that by offering a full replacement - something that I don't really consider Primus - that they would be using equipment that doesn't have so much reliability on power and and existing costly internet connection.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bitchass
I've also started hearing that the bandwidth useage will send some people over their monthly cap.

That sounds like a crock of shit even with G.711 codec.

lok

TRIBE Member
Fido is coming to Toronto with a Talk at home program, where by you get a cellphone for $40 a month and ALL local calls are free.

Bang. That will change a lot.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher

VOIP.
Voice over IP

That's why I'm scared to switch.

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by lok
Fido is coming to Toronto with a Talk at home program, where by you get a cellphone for $40 a month and ALL local calls are free.

That's awesome.

I might actually buy my first cell phone once this occurs.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by squirrely
rogers sucks ass.

So does Bell.

In a country where a monoploy is illegal. It's funny how these to companies seem to um well have a strangle hold on their markets.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Zorro
So does Bell.

In a country where a monoploy is illegal. It's funny how these to companies seem to um well have a strangle hold on their markets.

i know.

i just find that BELL is easier to deal with when i am having problems. i.e. i am not on hold for 18 hours, nor do i get passed around from person to person.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
True that. But Bell loves to give you those extra charges just because they can. ;)

You know 50 dollars to move your line then 50 dollars to set it back up and oh 50 more dollars because a Bell tech guy has to make sure all the jacks work in the new place.

Weren't they just working for the last person????

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Zorro
True that. But Bell loves to give you those extra charges just because they can. ;)

You know 50 dollars to move your line then 50 dollars to set it back up and oh 50 more dollars because a Bell tech guy has to make sure all the jacks work in the new place.

Weren't they just working for the last person????

yes, like when i had to move JUST DOWN THE HALL cuz of an emergency situation and they still charged me 55 bucks. what do they have to do in that situation....flip a switch? hit ctrl/alt/something? bastards.

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by lok

they have this in vancouver already, i'm waiting for it to come here.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by squirrely
yes, like when i had to move JUST DOWN THE HALL cuz of an emergency situation and they still charged me 55 bucks. what do they have to do in that situation....flip a switch? hit ctrl/alt/something? bastards.

I moved one street over and they told me I couldn't keep my number because now I was in a "different zone" unless I changed to a business plan. Don't even let me start on how much they wanted to charge me for that. Can you tell I hate bell???

Jezze if that's true about Fido forget my land line and bell. I be playing with the dogs.

defazman

TRIBE Member
If you don't like bell, just go to Sprint. Three months later Bell will call you back begging for your business, then you can make them jump through hoops to get you back.