• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Rogers IP question

Jazz

TRIBE Member
so i noticed that if i switch my rogers connection between two different computers (one is winXP and one is win98) the IP that rogers assigns is different.. seems odd, wondering if that could be related to the different OS's..

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
It's related to the unique MAC Address of the network card.
Get a router if you want to avoid this.
Rogers bills you for each IP you use.

oh toro

TRIBE Member
why don't you install a router between the cable modem and your computers? that way you won't need to _switch_ and both will have access simultaneously. the added benefit of a router (in NAT mode) is greater security. routers are so cheap these days you can probably find one included in a cereal box.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oh toro
why don't you install a router between the cable modem and your computers? that way you won't need to _switch_ and both will have access simultaneously. the added benefit of a router (in NAT mode) is greater security. routers are so cheap these days you can probably find one included in a cereal box.
no cearal box toys are junk these days. Oh the good ol days.. Remember the treat of the week? it is also now junk!

Jay