• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Rogers internet speeds... wow

Vise

TRIBE Member
OMFG I didn't think it was possible but this is perhaps a positive thread on Rogers. I upgraded my cable modem last night on my Rogers Ultimate internet to the latest unit (CGN3) and this is the result of my speed test this morning. Sure it is a bit more $ than most want to spend but for my place with a shitload of computers/tablets/phones/streaming devices it is worth every penny for these sorts of speeds... I'd like to see the comparable offering from Bell and/or what the max speeds Teksavvy etc is offering these days. The 30% discount helps but it is admittedly still a bit pricey.

3219076812.png

On the upside a newsgroup download came in at 28.5 MB/s this morning... :D

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
thats pretty fucking ridiculous.

not sure what the fibe speeds cap out at.

how much are you paying for the ultimate service?

Vise

TRIBE Member
Its around $80ish per month after discount. And yeah, it is ridiculous... I was getting close to 115-120 mbps before upgrading the modem but now its just nuts.

Vise

TRIBE Member
how long does the discount last for and is it because you have everything with bundled with them?

The current discount is for 12 months. Likely because I have all 4 services with them but really it is down to who you speak to in Retentions. I was previously offered 70% off internet last year for 12 months but it would have removed the discounts I have on my other services so it would have been a wash.

The key message is if you are a long time Rogers subscriber with multiple services they will treat you well with a simple phone call to Retentions (ie. Customer Relations). Basically I call them every year and they walk me through the existing offers and we put together the best possible package of discounts/services. I just got the Nextbox 3.0 PVR rental for free too along with 20% off my cable services as well.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Ah i see. yeah i hate rogers and refuse to pretty much use any of their serivces, i worked for their wireless division and i am all to familiar with their practices.

i havent had cable tv for YEARS, my cell plan is with fido and i love them so wont be leaving and i just switched to Teksavvy DSL for more reliable service and not to be subjected to rogers cable service.

i think the cable service alone that you have would be more than my current internet and phone combined plus some, and if the only thing i get is the ability to download faster, then its just not worth it to me.

glad to hear at least someone is getting good service from them hahahahaha.

lobo

TRIBE Member
What is supposed to be the real download and upload for that service that they advertise?

Lobo

P.S. Jealous over here. :)

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Question: with that new router, is Rogers charging you for data you send around your own home network?

Reddit: 60 gigs of usage came out of nowhere so I called rogers and....

I proved this usage was internal by unplugging the coax cable from the router, transferred 4 gigs to my nas then plugged the router coax cable back in, then powered off the router for 24hrs except for brief moments to check email and voilà my usage jumped by 4 gigs.
In my opinion this is outright theft.

Vise

TRIBE Member
What is supposed to be the real download and upload for that service that they advertise?

Lobo

P.S. Jealous over here. :)

It is advertised as 250/20 with 1TB usage monthly ... I've found that since I've been on Ultimate I always get speeds faster than advertised though. The 1TB should be more than enough, I was on the unlimited tier for the past couple months but even in heavy usage I wasn't going much higher than 350gb per month.

If there is one thing I can't stand it is slow internet (and network) speeds so I'm more than happy to give Rogers my money and also upgrade my router to the latest/greatest on a yearly basis. The rest of you haters can hate on... :)

Balzz

TRIBE Member
I've got 150/10 on teksavvy. I don't have any Rogers services so it's the best solution for me.

Vise

TRIBE Member
That is pretty solid, price wise it is definitely better than the list price for the old Ultimate tier that was the same. Appears Rogers recently updated the Ultimate package up to 250/20/1TB but it requires a new modem, wonder if Teksavvy has plans to follow suit.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
I'm at a loss for words on this one. Either way this is the most F'd thing I've heard? I guess it's either that they don't know what the hell they are doing (Rogers) or we're getting duped big time.

Thinking of it now. These providers used to supply modems, and you had your own switch/router behind it if you wanted that. Now they provide a modem (with a built-in routing capabilities - not an actual router ---> those are 2 way different beasts). Why would they need to do that for us? Probably because they are collecting data from the internal interface(s) of the unit.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Let us not forget the source of that report (reddit) and the fact that the thread itself is full of morons in need of a clue. The talk of class action lawsuits in there is hilarious.

lobo

TRIBE Member
It is advertised as 250/20 with 1TB usage monthly ... I've found that since I've been on Ultimate I always get speeds faster than advertised though. The 1TB should be more than enough, I was on the unlimited tier for the past couple months but even in heavy usage I wasn't going much higher than 350gb per month.

Niiiiiice!

Here I am stuck with a 10M/5M free access from my work. :) Shockingly, I haven't seen a need to start paying for my internet service which would automatically give me a nice speed bump. I guess most of the time the 10M is more than sufficient.

Lobo

praktik

TRIBE Member
Let us not forget the source of that report (reddit) and the fact that the thread itself is full of morons in need of a clue. The talk of class action lawsuits in there is hilarious.

We've really created a culture of victimhood eh?

And people applying such agency to massive bureaucracies is a clear category error.

The cries of "theft!" are just crazy...

Vise

TRIBE Member
I guess most of the time the 10M is more than sufficient.

Yeah, for 2008 maybe! :D

Kidding but you notice the speed difference when you want to watch the latest HD rip and your wife gives you 5 minutes to put on a movie before losing her shit. Nothing like snagging a 5gb 720p file in under 2 minutes.

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
OMFG I didn't think it was possible but this is perhaps a positive thread on Rogers. I upgraded my cable modem last night on my Rogers Ultimate internet to the latest unit (CGN3) and this is the result of my speed test this morning. Sure it is a bit more $ than most want to spend but for my place with a shitload of computers/tablets/phones/streaming devices it is worth every penny for these sorts of speeds... I'd like to see the comparable offering from Bell and/or what the max speeds Teksavvy etc is offering these days. The 30% discount helps but it is admittedly still a bit pricey.

3219076812.png

On the upside a newsgroup download came in at 28.5 MB/s this morning... :D

Can you post a pic or model of your modem please? I'm on ultimate too and clock a consistent 150-175 meg... Just wondering if there's a newer unit out...

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
I'm at a loss for words on this one. Either way this is the most F'd thing I've heard? I guess it's either that they don't know what the hell they are doing (Rogers) or we're getting duped big time.

Thinking of it now. These providers used to supply modems, and you had your own switch/router behind it if you wanted that. Now they provide a modem (with a built-in routing capabilities - not an actual router ---> those are 2 way different beasts). Why would they need to do that for us? Probably because they are collecting data from the internal interface(s) of the unit.

Not at all - very few routers you buy at best buy can push anywhere near 150 megs of WAN traffic. I expect the decision to combine them was aimed at gaining more control of the end user experience - OR - in other words, they do this to ensure that you get the speed you pay for and minimize support costs.