• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Roger Sanchez @ TIL - March 30, 2006

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
Holy yikes.

12:16 AM and home already. I wasn't really in the mood for this but I decided to give it a go tonight. We walked over and there's a an ambulance in the alley and a half dozen roid raging bouncers kicking ass and taking names. Apparently a cop got injured (or attacked?). I watched one 300 pound bouncer throw some poor little guy around like a rag doll for what really amounted to the guy moving in the wrong direction at the wrong moment. So bad bad vibe already.

The lineup is kinda retarded but not very retarded. We give up on guest list and decide to just pay full price in the non guest list. But that lines not moving and now it's pissing rain and now guest list line is moving at a good clip. I cut over to the g-list line see a friend and cut in all stealthy, say hello, and then get dragged out by my neck - now i'm the rag doll. Anyhoo. I deserved that I guess but now my neck hurts.

All through this the bouncers are yelling their heads off telling people to move out of the way, move here, fuck this, fuck you... So much negative negative bad vibe energy. I go back to the pay full price line, still pissing rain, decide to call the night. My crew stayed on.

Anyway... My point is... I can spend a week in Miami at the most busy clubs I've ever been to with the most drunk ass crazy crowds I've ever seen and they can seriously take care of their shit. My whole week there I never saw a lineup get out of hand in any way. First night out in Toronto and it's just a complete joke. What a bunch of retards trying to control what really amounts to a relatively small number of people. Pathetic. I think the worst problem in Toronto is the number of dinks who pay their way through the front of the line. I hardly ever saw this in Miami. If people were going to get in the front of the line they were just going to walk right in...

0 / 10

I might head over a little later if I get any good reports back so I reserve the right to change my rating. :)

Big Boss

TRIBE Promoter
Closed it out, completely sober (still recovering from WMC). Hilight of the night was Dibiza with the Turn on the Music accapella over it! Nuts!

Soulster

TRIBE Member
ryan, i know you went back cuz i saw you as i was leaving! (sorry i didn't say hi.) hopefully your night got a little better after you wrote this review.

going to bed. my head hurts in a beyond massive way.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
holy crap.

that was madness.

he dropped Til West - Same Man & Bob Sinclar - World, Hold On (Children of the Sky) within the first hour...just simply awesome.

Closed out the place around 5:30, could've easily kept going...he was on for approx. 4 1/2 hours.

Alright, time to continue the night...for those who didn't come out, you missed somethin' really wikked!

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
Went back at about 1:15. Stood in a line of dorky ass never gonna get ins for 30 minutes!!! Finally I text Katherine to tell her to tell the bouncer to let my ass on in. She comes to the door and says ever so nicely "Do you think you could let my husband in? He's been standing at the front of the line for a while and want to play with". Whadya know? 1 second later, the rope is lifted and I'm in. All the other never gonna get ins left behind me. I felt bad...

Roger totally blew me away inside. Better than any set I heard in Miami last week. Classics, new shit, hard, chuggy, solid...

:)

9/10

the venue still gets a 0. I fucking hate TIL.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

tetley

TRIBE Member
I normally try to avoid to save reviews for when things are really good or things are really ass. My time last night was a little of both.

The line-up outside - fucking stupid. I understand the need to hold a line for the huge clubs sitting on main streets to attract tourists... but this rule need not apply to a place that enters off a back alley. I do not understand what the "guest list" really is. The two lines I saw were: be willing to shell out $300 up front for bottle service line; and everyone else line. Given the cash that we spent last night, it would have made sense to take the bottle service line - but our entire group was not there yet... and we figured that if we did not hold a place in line, they would never make it in assuming the bar was already filling up. With 150 ahead of you at 10:30 - there is no reason to stand in line for 45 minutes to enter to a half empty club. Then again, I guess that gives the bouncers a bit of time to line their pockets letting some bi-pass for a marginal fee. Message to management - get on your staff outside. If you want to have a first rate club - you need to have first rate door staff. If you want to create the same vibe as all the worst parts of the Guv... keep it up - you're doing great so far.

Inside - music awesome. Took a little while to get into the mood from the negative vibe outside. From the time I came, to the time I left I was on the dance floor - with the exception of time spent waiting to take a piss. Roger tore it up mixing it up with a little bit of everything. Bringing it up and taking it down over and over again... he definitely impressed. I hope someone brings him back sooner than later.

Although the music was awesome... I give the night a 6-10. Fix the cattle mentality outside and get more selective like the old days of TIL - and events will easily rate a 9 or 10.

orgnlbrkr

TRIBE Member
the review:

4 of us got to the party EARLY....we knew what kind of line tonight would produce....walked inside after maybe 5 minutes to a relatively empty club.....we were directed upstairs and enjoyed a few drinks while watching the crowd trickle in.....ventured downstairs around 11:30 to reserve some prime space and continued to get down to barato's (sp) smooth opening set......kudos to him for putting together the perfect buildup to what we were all there for

ROGER "RENEWED MY FAITH" SANCHEZ

where to even begin!?! i mean....we were all expecting a good show since he was stocked with fresh new tracks from miami.....but seriously.....totally blown away......we busted our asses the whole 4 and 1/2 hot.....sweaty....elbow knocking hours.....favorite song of the night.....fleetwood mac's dream remix......favorite moment…..when he threw down la la land……perfect timing!! an hour into his set our 4 turned in to 2…..and it was obvious what had to be done…..dance our way to the front and ROCK IT OUT till close….mission accomplished …..thank you Roger for doing what you do best and don’t be such a stranger….we’d love to have you back!

sidenotes:

the void that was created in my life when system closed down has now been filled with the even more excessive pervy groping at last nights event…..oh friday night feel fest how i’ve missed you….every girl has said it once and I’ll say it again…..who told you it was ok to grab a girls ass on a crowded dancefloor……or wrap your arm around my waist and hump me while i’m obviously busy…..dancing!!! get over yourselves already will ya? be like all the other smart boys who dance “with” us…..maybe try a smile as your first move of the night instead of leading with the molestation….just a thought

another highlight…..the literal stampede of girls that pushed and shoved their way to the dj booth the second the lights came on……another small piece of advice, this time for the girls…….i know you think he’s a hot sexy fuck (another wicked track btw)….but the last thing he or any dj for that matter wants to do after spinning for 4 ½ hours is to talk to 15 strange girls all at the same time who are competing with each other for his individual attention…..but I understand that urge…that urge to just wanna run up and…..well lets just say I understand…..lol….so I’ve come up with a solution….the second you feel your legs start to run just think about this……you’ve been sweating for the last few hours…..no makeup has ever been able to withstand the powers of the almighty sweat!!...trust me when I say this…..yes…..your mascara/eyeliner IS smudged…. you look like an addict…..and yes….your hair IS a mess!

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
:O I MAKE THE BEAT GO BOOM PAPI! :O

Some dirty, dirty, dirty tunes last night folks.......old skool, new skool, you fool.........too cool....

Not all mixes were perfect.....some were a little on the slippity-do-da side......but this was an event.

Daveed

TRIBE Member
Roger is one of my Fav DJs because he plays "All things house" I've seen him a number of times in T.O and a few times in NYC. Saw him at spirit where he played the whole night. I remember walking in to a somewhat empty club at 10:30 and he was playing deep vocal house and he was bringing it up a notch with each and every mix....what a treat that was!

My point is we usually see the hard side of Roger in T.O which is fun as hell dont get me wrong! But I'd love to see him drop some soulful house here in T.O cuz you know he can bring it and TIL would be a good place for it! He played for the crowd that showed up and I always have a great time no matter what he plays. I had to leave at around 3:30 ish...What did I miss?!

orgnlbrkr

TRIBE Member
Daveed said:
My point is we usually see the hard side of Roger in T.O which is fun as hell dont get me wrong! But I'd love to see him drop some soulful house here in T.O cuz you know he can bring it and TIL would be a good place for it! He played for the crowd that showed up and I always have a great time no matter what he plays. I had to leave at around 3:30 ish...What did I miss?!
some soulful house :p

GivinUsociety

TRIBE Member
I wish I could have gone last night, but I'm still recovering from WMC. I think this year for House music will be a good one. I've heard tons of house gems in Miami.

Forever Free

TRIBE Member
expectations are always a killer

agreed, daveed!

before i get into the music i just want to say how impressed i was with TIL. knew it was going to be chaotic outside so i went early - was inside bouncin' within minutes. staff was super friendly - layout was classy and comfortable. niiiice...

barato's opening did the trick for sure - always makes me laugh how much the croud wants to start dancing in the early hours but instead stands around people gazing, almost afraid to "make the first groove". letting folks onto the dancefloor certainly helps.

sanchez - been wanting to see him for ages. at least, been wanting to see a side of him for ages... i should have known when i heard barato's opening that it wasn't going to be a night of sanchez's "release yourself" soulful, deep house. sadly, that's the reason i ventured forth. instead, the place was litterally pounding hard and tearing the club a new one. good energy but not what i was after... nuts!

think i'll wait until frankie knuckles and sanchez are on the same bill... can't get more soulful than that! :D
[fantasy... reality...]

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

GivinUsociety

TRIBE Member
orgnlbrkr said:
some soulful house :p

I'm usually listen to the Farina, Carter and Sneak type of house. The Defected party in Miami open my eyes to soulful house. The house track thats still dancing in my head "The way you love me" by Ron Hall and the Muthafunkaz.

Maybe, a promoter can headline Roger S with Martin Solveig or a Jay-J and Roger can be influence to play more soulful house music....<====I would definitely pay good money to see this lineup.:)

Big Boss

TRIBE Promoter
GivinUsociety said:
I'm usually listen to the Farina, Carter and Sneak type of house. The Defected party in Miami open my eyes to soulful house. The house track thats still dancing in my head "The way you love me" by Ron Hall and the Muthafunkaz.
You need to get your hands on Defected: In the House Miami 2006. I bought the cd down in Miami and it is so awesome. It honestly makes me miss Miami. We so need a Defected: In the House night here in Toronto. We'll see.

PS. The Dimitri from Paris remix of "The way you love me" is the best mix. It makes you wish you were on some dancefloor at a disco in the 70's.

Anyway, back to Roger...

bushka

TRIBE Member
Awesome night!

We got there just before 11 and waited in line for about half an hour...it didn't take as long to get in as I thought it would by the look of the line. Once inside, after a couple of shots, we hit the dancefloor and pretty much danced non stop until we left around 3:30 am. My feet are in pain this morning but it was so worth it. Amazing tunes and the crowd in the club in general was pretty friendly. Very happy I went! :)

PS- Pics anyone?

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
Ugh.... SOOO pissed I couldn't make it out lastnight. Had to work till 11pm lastnight and I'd been up for about 40 hours at that point - was in no shape for the dancefloor.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Well that was nice! roger is one of my favourite djs and he was totally in the groove last night, dropping tracks fresh from the Miami Music Conference. Nicely packed crowd and I really like that space: the kind of hunting lodge/rec room vibe really suits house music. Lots of wandering space, good sound, yummy girls.

Pics coming later this evening.

Special K

TRIBE Member
Overall another pretty fun night for me @ TIL.

We got there @ around 11pm as well and it took us about a half hour to get in which I dont think was too bad considering how big the lineup was. No problems with the crowd / staff / bouncers whatsoever.

Nathan Barato played a nice opening set and Roger followed him up with some cool tunes as well. It would have been nice if he had gotten a little funkier as he did get a little too drummy for me in some spots but overall I would say that I enjoyed his set.

Good times.

:)

sugar

TRIBE Member
Break 4 Love twice in one night!

Once I have collected the pieces of my brain, I'll post a real review.

undercover_girl

TRIBE Member
WOW. Yes there was a little door and patron drama but Roger more than made up for it. I was on the dancefloor from the start of his set until the bright lights came up. He was layering old with new tracks - bringing in snippets of vocals and bass lines from songs I love in such a way that I just couldn't drag myself away as I coudn't bear to miss anything. Some musical highlights (which a couple have already been mentionned): World, Hold On (Bob Sinclair), Party All The Time (Eddie Murphy remix) --heard this in miami a couple times, that new version of Finally, Sexy Fuck, La La Land, Turn Up The Music, and last but not least - I love that remix of Dreams by Stevie Nicks!

My feet are sore but that's a small price to pay! You can come back to TO anytime Roger. :D

I'm eager to see the pics Alex! (I wonder if the snap of me looks like anything other than a deer in headlights...)

Edit: A little research has shown that it's Sharam's version of Patt (Party All The Time)

Last edited: