• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

rodney mullen- king of freestyle (skateboarding)

xopus

TRIBE Member
i bought one of my cousins 'Round Three' of Rodney Mullen vs Daewon Song for xmas.

Mullen's part in the video is ridonkulous.
If you've played tony hawk, and pulled everyone of Mullens special moves, basically that was what the segment was. absolutely insane

If you skateboard, or used to skateboard, or like skateboards or anything involving a skateboard, you really need to watch this movie. (oh ya...someone else in the video one foot boardslides a rail)

im on dialup, so i cant watch this clip unfortunatly.

C-NiCE

TRIBE Promoter
Rodney Mullen is the father of skateboarding as we know it today. He invented the kickflip, heelflip, 360 flip, darkslide and a ton more I can't remember. My favourite section of his was from about 8 years ago, I can't remember the movie now but it was to Dream On - Aerosmith. I remember watching that clip over and over again and being blown away every time.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
shit, he's been around for EVER. When everyone else was doing the pool/halfpipe/vert thing...back in the day, he was all about, what was called at the time 'freestyle'.

Well 'freestyle' has progressed to 'street skating'. Funny thing is, back then freestyle boards looked way different than all the other wider decks being sold at the time. But now , they don't look much different that what everyone's riding today. He was truly a pioneer. And continues to kick serious ass today (as you saw).

His technical abilities are absolutely insane. I doubt he puts any effort into what he's doing.

Jonesy

TRIBE Member
that's one of the things that really amazed me about him. His moves are executed with such precision and flow. I was awestruck by how well he nailed each move with what seemed like a complete lack of effort.

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
shit I just watched that. I can't believe that kickflip/underflip he does in one ollie. totally insane.

You never see him doing any big gaps or anything. Just super technical stuff.

tablist

TRIBE Member
people are only now even beginning to attempt tricks that he was doing years ago, and they can't even come close to how rodney has them. shit, he does tricks that don't even have names. skating must be so fun for him.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Funzo

TRIBE Member
I remember reading an interview with Rodney back when Virtual Reality came out (an epic vid for it's time). He was saying that his mom didn't want him to skate, so he made a deal with her that "When I lose a competition, I'll quit skating" That was 20 years ago now.

xopus

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Funzo
I remember reading an interview with Rodney back when Virtual Reality came out (an epic vid for it's time). He was saying that his mom didn't want him to skate, so he made a deal with her that "When I lose a competition, I'll quit skating" That was 20 years ago now.
thats awesome.

there is a shot in Virtual Reality, of someone board sliding a semi-circular cement rail (about a 10-15' diamater). It may have even been a dark slide, i cant fully remember. That shot blew me away when i was a kid.

(it was a really long time ago, so there is a chance im wrong about that clip coming from VR)

xopus

TRIBE Member
k, im watching the Roung Three video again, and i've gotta reinterate how good this video is. Chris Haslem busts some incredible rails (1 foot boardslide to shove it, rails to varial flips, stuff like that) and Ryan Sheckler goes bigger then any kid i've ever seen (i think hes about 14 in this video) Including a Huge sidewalk gap, that is probably 10-12 feet high, and at least 12' wide. its nuts.

jungleboy

TRIBE Promoter
I'm not a hater. It's the one critique that's stuck around his whole career and it's a common debate right now. Is it better to see Chris Haslam do a kickflip smith 180 out that looks like shit or see someone like Gino Iannucci do a front smith that looks butter?

There's a sequence of Greg Lutzka doing a heelflip varial lipslide in the new Skateboard Magazine and it's the most ugly thing you've ever seen. One one hand I admire the difficulty but it looks like crap.

smile

TRIBE Member
i agree, style is a big part of skateboarding. the gonz is my favourite skater of all time, and he never busted huge tricks...just pure style. check blind "video days" to see what i mean. mullen is pretty much responsible for the way we skate today, so he deserves respect.

Jonesy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by jungleboy
I'm not a hater. It's the one critique that's stuck around his whole career and it's a common debate right now. Is it better to see Chris Haslam do a kickflip smith 180 out that looks like shit or see someone like Gino Iannucci do a front smith that looks butter?

There's a sequence of Greg Lutzka doing a heelflip varial lipslide in the new Skateboard Magazine and it's the most ugly thing you've ever seen. One one hand I admire the difficulty but it looks like crap.
I have never been a skateboarder, but I have always admired the incredible talent and skill involved. I started this thread mainly because what I saw from Mullen were flawlessly executed moves that I felt deserved recognition.

I have always held a lot of respect for my friends that skateboard and always gave them props for stickin' it out and doing it because they love it. One of my best friends is getting married and settling down, but he still builds a ramp in his backyard first thing. I love it.

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
that clip is the unlockable video for rodeny mullen in tony hawk's pro skater 3 (the reason why i bought a ps2)...and GODNEY (as he should be properly referred to as) is the only skater in the world who actually comes close to pulling off the tricks you can do in thps.

respeckt da godney!

- that future primitive guy

Aleks

TRIBE Member
Rodney Mullen ownz!

for real like others have mentioned this guy is basically the best "street" skater alive...

fuckin incredible skills...

pce,

-Aleks