• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Rockin Out Metal Stylee

Baters

TRIBE Member
so the past 7 years or so saw my musical tastes broaden immeasurably as i was drawn into the world of techno (mmmmm...techno), d'n'b etc. before that tho i was always a rocker kid and lately have found myself pulling out blasts from the past, dusting them off and blaring the geetars while tossing the horns (today to 'and justice for all....)

so my question is this - what i have missed this past 7 years or so? some people have thrown some names out like in flames and meshuggah, but who are the new iron maidens and metallicas? what mind-blowing albums have i missed? who do you recommend?

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by groovespinna
Train!!
?

Dude metal is huuuuuge and so much shit is going on. It all depends on what type of metal you like. It's like asking what you've missed in electronic music.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
?

Dude metal is huuuuuge and so much shit is going on. It all depends on what type of metal you like. It's like asking what you've missed in electronic music.
can you suggest me something involving goats ?

K-Madd

TRIBE Member
metallica= trivium

mastadon- bloody heavy and deep

tony danza tapdance extravaganza- damn check them out just for the name, screeching heavy and at times too much but i love them

deftones- ah, chino what a voice

machine head- drinking metal

raging speedhorn- with such song titles as: 'welcome to shitsville', 'fuck the voodooman'..... don't expect a ballad

him- those crafty finns make gothy metal/rock actually not vomit inducing

that all for now,

let the band bashing begin!

kat

TRIBE Member
children of bodom?

i am not a true metal nerd cuz..im just friends with them. ;p

im not good at identifying the sub-genres and knowing band histories..soooo i will leave it up to others to make suggestions.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by K-Madd

tony danza tapdance extravaganza- damn check them out just for the name, screeching heavy and at times too much but i love them

No band-bashing here; I love them Already!!

Baters

TRIBE Member
fair statement - iron maiden, anthrax, metallica, pantera always got a lot of play.....definitely thrashy, fast and punsihing (i listened to a lot of industrial aka ministry, kmfdm, rammstein as well).

i never really got into the soft stuff and i missed most of the "nu-metal" wave

Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
?

Baters

TRIBE Member
i got mastadon's 'leviathan' on someone advice and found it very satisfying

Originally posted by K-Madd
metallica= trivium

mastadon- bloody heavy and deep

deftones- ah, chino what a voice

machine head- drinking metal

raging speedhorn- with such song titles as: 'welcome to shitsville', 'fuck the voodooman'..... don't expect a ballad

him- those crafty finns make gothy metal/rock actually not vomit inducing

that all for now,

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Baters

TRIBE Member
i'm not sure who look more absurd - these guys or the black metal ones who wear the corpse makeup....i have noticed that it is standard that you must hold your hand outstretched as if the dark overseer of metal is about to present you with the fiery goblet of damnation

kat

TRIBE Member
Metal in the past 7 years, eh? There has been so much sub-genre splintering in the past decade its absurd...but I'll try to point out the outright champions of the genre.

'Chaosphere' and 'Nothing' by Meshuggah are outright brilliant tech metal records as is 'Epitaph' by Necrophagist (Muhammed Suicmez is one of the best guitar players in metal).

1349's 'Hellfire' and Immortal's 'Sons of Northern Darkness' are absolutely devestating black metal, as is Deathspell Omega's 'Kenose' ep (which is like Neurosis-inspired black metal). Plus 1349 are complete maniacs.

Kamelot's "Black Halo" and Blind Guardian's "Night at the Opera" are sweeping, gorgeous and power metal. Both of those records demonstrate a maturity and direction that is sorely lacking in the genre. Wintersun and Ensiferum are really good black-themed power metal, too. Jari Maenpaa is also a fucking amazing guitar player and is in both bands.

Death metal kinda spent itself in the mid 90's, but check out Arsis' 'Celebration of Guilt' for just ripping melodic death metal and Gojira's 'From Mars to Sirius' for some deadly prog-minded dm.

For weird ones? Check out Fantomas, Tyr, Waylander, Rhapsody.

Oh, also doom is good. Check out Cathedral's most recent record and High on Fire 'Blessed Black wings.

A couple people pointed out Mastadon earlier and that's a definite, as is the reference to Finntroll if you just wanna get your drink on.

Also, this is Kait's buddy posting...not Kait.

Baters

TRIBE Member
cool, thanks for recommends i will check them out - with Faith No More still my favourite group of all time, like seeing the Fantomas on the list

Originally posted by kat
Metal in the past 7 years, eh? There has been so much sub-genre splintering in the past decade its absurd...but I'll try to point out the outright champions of the genre.

'Chaosphere' and 'Nothing' by Meshuggah are outright brilliant tech metal records as is 'Epitaph' by Necrophagist (Muhammed Suicmez is one of the best guitar players in metal).

1349's 'Hellfire' and Immortal's 'Sons of Northern Darkness' are absolutely devestating black metal, as is Deathspell Omega's 'Kenose' ep (which is like Neurosis-inspired black metal). Plus 1349 are complete maniacs.

Kamelot's "Black Halo" and Blind Guardian's "Night at the Opera" are sweeping, gorgeous and power metal. Both of those records demonstrate a maturity and direction that is sorely lacking in the genre. Wintersun and Ensiferum are really good black-themed power metal, too. Jari Maenpaa is also a fucking amazing guitar player and is in both bands.

Death metal kinda spent itself in the mid 90's, but check out Arsis' 'Celebration of Guilt' for just ripping melodic death metal and Gojira's 'From Mars to Sirius' for some deadly prog-minded dm.

For weird ones? Check out Fantomas, Tyr, Waylander, Rhapsody.

Oh, also doom is good. Check out Cathedral's most recent record and High on Fire 'Blessed Black wings.

A couple people pointed out Mastadon earlier and that's a definite, as is the reference to Finntroll if you just wanna get your drink on.

Also, this is Kait's buddy posting...not Kait.