• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Robarts / U of G Libray Help.

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
i read the U of T help page - but this is so confusing....

is there some way to access the the journal catalog without having to go to the library? some secret url that i've forgotten? the website says that i need to set up a proxy server account - and i have no idea what this is, and i don't remember ever having to do this when i was actually in school

and, for the U of G library, can you still just walk in there and do research, or have they increased the security? (do i need a library card?).

i know these are stupid questions....but i'm lost...

Casey

TRIBE Member
you don't need to use U of T's proxy server anymore. Search for whatever journal you like, and click on the link. Before it brings you to the journal in question, it will ask you for your id and password. I think (you may need to look this up, I could be wrong) your ID is your student number, and your password is your library number.

Casey

TRIBE Member
Okay, I checked, and they ask you for your library barcode number and the last four digits of your student id.

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
stupid questions #3, 4 and 5.

Originally posted by Casey
you don't need to use U of T's proxy server anymore. Search for whatever journal you like, and click on the link.
there are thousands of journals, no? how am i supposed to know which journal i want?

isn't there a way to search for articles within the journals? and the link you gave me, is this just for e-journals? what about the journals that are actually in the library - is there someway to do an online search of those?

my pin number doesn't seem to be working, so i can't even log into these journals. maybe alumni cards don't have that feature?

thanks for you help! i feel like i'm back in first year again.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

regal beagle

TRIBE Member
U of G (guelph?)

as far as i know you can just walk in and do research. though with the double cohort i tend to avoid the library at all costs. fo team electronic journals!! haha...i hope it doesnt bias my thesis too much.

tho, i am not sure if you need a library card to actually use the computers in the library. i use the one we have in the office. or do it from home.

i can scout it out tomorrow for you if you want. gimme a reason to get outside and get some fresh air.

Casey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by leigh
stupid questions #3, 4 and 5.

there are thousands of journals, no? how am i supposed to know which journal i want?

isn't there a way to search for articles within the journals? and the link you gave me, is this just for e-journals? what about the journals that are actually in the library - is there someway to do an online search of those?

my pin number doesn't seem to be working, so i can't even log into these journals. maybe alumni cards don't have that feature?

thanks for you help! i feel like i'm back in first year again.
Search by subject!

Pick a subject that is relative to your research topic(i.e., Anthropolgy), and it will bring you to a list of various indexes (such as the Social Sciences Index) that you can use to search for individual articles (this will give you the names of both online articles and bound copies that you can find in the library). If you cannot acces the online version of the article directly through the index, you'll have to go back to the U of T library page, search the journal name under e-resources, and then search for the article title within the journal. If the article is too old to be online (often, online articles date back to about 1996), search the U of T catalogue for the periodical number.

Also, once you determine the names of specific journals that are relevant to your topic, it will be easier to just do a search through the actual journal on their respective websites.

I'm not sure about your pin difficulties, but go here for help.