• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Rob Hood's 'Minimal Nation'...

erk

TRIBE Member
Just found out a song I like is on Robert Hood's 'Minimal Nation' double pack. I seem to be doing a lot of looking for the older stuff as of late.
Anywho, turns out this is super rare or something. Saw some used copies going for $160-$193 on the net. Yikes! Don't want it that badly. Not in repress? Dave says, "No." Oh well.
Anyone else got any fun Rob hood or old record stories?
 

ian

TRIBE Member
Step 1: Purchase Final Scratch
Step 2: Download ISO-Praxie's-all-Rob-Hood-all-the-time set from a few weeks back.
Step 3: Cut out the bits you like and make small MP3 files.
Step 4: Enjoy your own DJ-able Rob Hood collection

Sure it's more expensive then actually buying the Rob Hood vinyl, but I'm crazy like that!

Ian - thinking about buying final scratch - Guthrie
 

Technocratic Girl

TRIBE Member
(disclaimer- pointless info. below)
recall:
NYC, Sonic Boom. Summer 1999. 16 yrs old, minimal knowledge of records...
Sees someone (from TRIP) from Toronto in the record store!
(small world)
Buys Robert Hood record for a friend & it was like $8.
That is all - - (everything was so much more exciting when I was 16)


Ian- Final scratch seems super cool... !
 

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by ian
Step 1: Purchase Final Scratch
Step 2: Download ISO-Praxie's-all-Rob-Hood-all-the-time set from a few weeks back.
Step 3: Cut out the bits you like and make small MP3 files.
Step 4: Enjoy your own DJ-able Rob Hood collection

Sure it's more expensive then actually buying the Rob Hood vinyl, but I'm crazy like that!

Ian - thinking about buying final scratch - Guthrie

step 5: wack.

step 6: Mr Guthrie - low fidelity sounding bunk stolen mp3 that makes producers unlike yourself who has never produced a thing or had a record label express interest, play something good turned bad over a good loud system ... ala steve bug.

step 7: your a dj , a highly regarded and highly respected promoter (yes me) its people with this attitude that is killing an industry YOU partake in.

step 8: i and for many who dont speak up on this issue don't wanna go see people playing with their little FS.

p.s : fine if your into playing your own material or your friends latest or unreleased material..go buy a cdj and use it, but if your good buddies with kool and the gang monsiers of techno and file swap amongst your selfish record destroying selves..... :rolleyes:

all you FS users , no need to give me your representation of it. you wont change me or my mind. I still love you.

acetate or greaseplates i say :)


ez.

sd/
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Technocratic Girl

TRIBE Member
doesn't final scrath use/rely on record production?
Don't you have to record records onto final scratch to use the thing?
I don't think yet, you can get records/tracks of the same quality directly from online in mp3 format...
Well - I guess you could...
But- correct me if I am wrong. There was a DJ who asked me if I would record records into final scratch so she could use them there - that's why I mentioned this. Apparently it's a long and tedious job to do.

Also - if we draw the line here and say it is killing old ways of producing music and thus the record industry - Many people say the same thing about electronic music. The fear was that music made with computers would wipe out music made with guitars or something- but that wasn't true.

So, where do you draw the line? Not everyone can afford final scratch (at least now) so I think the two industries will exist in parallel for a while, and maybe always. Maybe there's something intrinsic in the quality of records that will allow them to survive! They have survived this long...
Mixing records IS different than playing on final scratch!

my 00.02
 

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by erk
Just found out a song I like is on Robert Hood's 'Minimal Nation' double pack. I seem to be doing a lot of looking for the older stuff as of late.
Anywho, turns out this is super rare or something. Saw some used copies going for $160-$193 on the net. Yikes! Don't want it that badly. Not in repress? Dave says, "No." Oh well.
Anyone else got any fun Rob hood or old record stories?

....... and just to answer you Erik, yah i've been after Minimal Nation on Axis or Mplant (Mplant's repress features two new tracks to replace two from the original Axis version. The Pace is missed but i already own it...) for about 6 years now...

i bugged Hood up in Kitchener for the Speed party (start of the night) for his copy and sequencial cash..

dare i say, i would lower myself to downloading a track of it or its entirety just to play on FS to make myself look like im a man of tracks....

thats BS.

my FS of BS rant is done:)
 

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Technocratic Girl
doesn't final scrath use/rely on record production?
Don't you have to record records onto final scratch to use the thing?
I don't think yet, you can get records/tracks of the same quality directly from online in mp3 format...
Well - I guess you could...
But- correct me if I am wrong. There was a DJ who asked me if I would record records into final scratch so she could use them there - that's why I mentioned this. Apparently it's a long and tedious job to do.

Also - if we draw the line here and say it is killing old ways of producing music and thus the record industry - Many people say the same thing about electronic music. The fear was that music made with computers would wipe out music made with guitars or something- but that wasn't true.

So, where do you draw the line? Not everyone can afford final scratch (at least now) so I think the two industries will exist in parallel for a while, and maybe always. Maybe there's something intrinsic in the quality of records that will allow them to survive! They have survived this long...
Mixing records IS different than playing on final scratch!

my 00.02

all you need Amanda is internet connection and the following...


bearshare
soulseek
kazaa
mp3.com
winamp
napster

and numourous of other or illegal file swaping programs ... this may cost a buck but isnt rocket science.

not to mention your unreleased material may be getting played when you dont even know it or had/have recollection or even passed it to a record label...

read on for this recent toronto mp3 BS.

http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=60831


sd/
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
well, on the bright side, they weren't pressed very well :D

it's a _very_quiet_ record in comparison to recent pressings.
 

Technocratic Girl

TRIBE Member
hehe - well
I know all about
bearshare
soulseek
kazaa
mp3.com
winamp
napster

but - isn't that quality often crappy? As you mentioned (for club settings) --

And then if you don't need records for final scratch - why was someone asking me to record them into that system? I guess it takes perhaps almost as much time to search for each track all over again in mp3s ?
 

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
Dug the track called Pace on the axis pressing is different than the single...just to let ya know

and the axis pressing is on ebay right now for whomever wants to spend too much money
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter

thanks for the link Trevie, i was aware didnt realise the two tracks with the same name were different. SUE me i dont live on soulseek or just to say i dont own either vinyl.(the minimal nation releases)

wished i did but i dont, kudos to you owning the one i want.. so how would it make you feel buddy if i downloaded your set , converted partial of said track and played it out.... mind you this is not YOUR track, but just think of Rob can we? :p


edit: lol @ ohno!
 
Last edited:

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
Rob says it's cool..he just called and I ran it by him. "money sucks anyway" - his words not mine ;)
 

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by isoprax
Rob says it's cool..he just called and I ran it by him. "money sucks anyway" - his words not mine ;)
bullshit... Rob and i got it somewhere here as quoting " Fs is the same as SONY , remixing a UR track without ACKNOWLOGEMENT.- Knights of the Jaguar. " BS.

my end? : BS.


pardon my sp mistakes, i will find the exact quote!
 

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
I have the original Minimal Nation and from when it came out. Played it many a times. The price for it is stupid and only goes to show how many of you whack dj's will pay because you still think its just about the tracks. ITS HOW GOOD YOU ARE AND HOW WELL YOU MIX!!!

Sure a few good tracks help but its not the main factor. Me for one am sick and tired of the vinyl vs my dick arguments because half you punks can't layer and mix anyways. So whats the point you are only playing the hits and all your arguments are pointless.



There are a few who are excluded from my statements.
Jeff Mills knows
SD aka Tekkid, you know what the vinyl is for.
Fred Paulo knows
Derek his bro knows
Vveerrgg Vergel knows
Tom Kuo aka Task Knows.
a few other do but 98% of you can learn and try and figure it out still.
 
Last edited:

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Humanjava
I have the original Minimal Nation and from when it came out. Played it many a times. The price for it is stupid and only goes to show how many of you whack dj's will pay because you still think its just about the tracks. ITS HOW GOOD YOU ARE AND HOW WELL YOU MIX!!!

Sure a few good tracks help but its not the main factor. Me for one am sick and tired of the vinyl vs my dick arguments because half you punks can't layer and mix anyways. So whats the point you are only playing the hits and all your arguments are pointless.
inform us who this is directed to.... please.


personally im sick of people sucking off tracks they cant find on vinyl... but hey im a vinyl collector only. The only punks who have said anything or stated an arguement in this thread is ME. So please fill me in on something i dont see.......

last i recalled i can mix ,layer and fucking program.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by tEkKiD
last i recalled i can mix ,layer and fucking program.
did you read his entire post, or did your shortly-fused temper cause to you to hit quote after the second paragraph?

;)
 

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Thats what I am getting at you are one of the ppl who can mix. I am not going to name call as we know who are the whack ass djs are.

I know you dont steal the tracks either and izz what I am getting at.

Clear now?
 

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by zoo
did you read his entire post, or did your shortly-fused temper cause to you to hit quote after the second paragraph?

;)

maybe i quoted him before he edited something... happy ? huh?


accepted Shamus but if anyone can do it is Curt... this is no ass kiss convention , you of all people know whats up....


the topic is lead hand.
 

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
of course Curt is one of our soldiers and is defn on the frontline of this battle. The list goes on and actually is exhaustive as you know but I just wanted to put a quick point out on it.

But hey if some one wants to give me a few hundred for my well used version I can let them go. I can better use that money to get some artist like myself released and push a new label forward instead of playing a track. I have lots of good music that can F*%K ppl up, and I will layer it and create some magic to blow some headzz up and get girls naked..


:D
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top