• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Roaming Fees and Long Distance

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Suppose I have to make calls to someone in the U.S. Suppose this person always uses a cell phone and I use either a cell phone or my home VoIP line (my VoIP line is unlimited long distance anywhere in Canada and the U.S.). How do roaming charges work with the cell phone under the following scenarios:

my VoIP -> U.S. cell
my cell -> U.S. cell
U.S. cell -> my cell

I could look it up, but I feel like asking Tribe. :) Thanks!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

starr

TRIBE Member
I think it's different with every provider.

So pick either response:
a) Who's your provider?
b) Look it up!

vinder

TRIBE Member
are you in the US as well? if you are and are using your mobile, this is a pretty good estimate:

roaming usually = 50 cents/min
calling local within the roaming area = 50 cents/min roaming + 10-15 cents/min
calling LD from the roaming area = 50 cents/min roaming + 25-35 cents/min LD

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I'm with Rogers and the other person is with ... hmmm. I think Sprint, but not too sure. I'd be calling from Canada and to different areas in the U.S.

It sounds like if I estimated about $0.65/minute, I'd be in the ballpark.

Just curious how the costs worked...the person here would be paying to receive long distance calls in addition to the fees I'm paying? I wonder what sort of alternatives there are...

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
I had a 40 minute conversation with a very pretty but very stupid girl about this very topic. I was fascinated because she was hot... are you hot? If so, lets talk!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Poot

TRIBE Member
Um, so - here's a stupid question (I honestly have no idea how this works, and haven't travelled with my cellphone in years...):

I was in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago. I had my phone on, but only took one phone call (kept it under a minute or two.)

Er, do roaming charges apply to just carrying your phone around? i.e. not making or taking calls?

Do roaming charges even apply in Canada?

Am I about to get a really nasty surprise on my next bill?

videotronic

TRIBE Member
you should just get billed for long distance and maybe airtime, depending on your cellphone plan and provider...

if your conversation was less than a minute it probably wont be more than 40 or 50 cents or something along those lines..if it is you need to find a new cell phone company asap

Snapper

TRIBE Member
Poot said:
Um, so - here's a stupid question (I honestly have no idea how this works, and haven't travelled with my cellphone in years...):

I was in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago. I had my phone on, but only took one phone call (kept it under a minute or two.)

Er, do roaming charges apply to just carrying your phone around? i.e. not making or taking calls?

Do roaming charges even apply in Canada?

Am I about to get a really nasty surprise on my next bill?

You should only be billed based on the amount of time you spend talking on the phone. Your one call should bill you for at most 2 mins of airtime along with 2 mins of canadian long distance which is usually $0.25/min.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
For your info, skype currently has free calling to any landline/cellphone in the USA and Canada.

(if your call is made from Canada or USA)

I wager $0.00 is reasonable.

-jM
A&D