• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Road Tolls Finally Coming to The Six

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I think tolling them is a great idea as long as the money actually goes toward the stated purpose, and not toward pay increases for City council or more banked sickdays for staff. And corruption seems to take root pretty quickly when a bottomless trough of money suddenly appears..

Also, I can just imagine the increase in traffic that will happen along non DVP and Gardiner roads... Kingston Road for example is going to be bumper to bumper all the time.

praktik

TRIBE Member
What if city council deserved a pay raise though?

Most people get a few % every year, why shouldn't our municipal government?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an idea: pay more people to cycle with some of that money by improving bike paths.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Where is Rob Ford when you need him?

Maybe John should raise the tolls on the TCC to start paying for the 2 Billion owed for the hippy transportation.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Liability

TRIBE Member
About time. Hopefully this is not just positioning and something that will come to fruition. I also hope they take a look at some of the more innovative solutions I have seen. Norway, for example, has a tiered system consisting of rings around the city. Which still gives you the option to park outside and transit in.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Definitely an idea whose time has come. The gravy train is over for single occupancy vehicles coming into Toronto/downtown core from the Markham/Mississauga 905.

Put that money back into road and transit infrastructure. Best use and example of a user fee, IMO.

praktik

TRIBE Member
im just wondering who's gonna look out for the hard working taxpayer, trying to put food on the table

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Don't forget
Definitely an idea whose time has come. The gravy train is over for single occupancy vehicles coming into Toronto/downtown core from the Markham/Mississauga 905.

Put that money back into road and transit infrastructure. Best use and example of a user fee, IMO.
Are you assuming this is a one way toll? because guess what, Torontonian's are not going to be happy when they realize they too will have to pay to drive out of the city

praktik

TRIBE Member
^^ of course they won't be happy. Cause we've been conditioned into a quasi-infantile state when it comes to political discourse: raise revenue BAD tax cut GOOD

But still give me all my services and boy ain't gridlock a bitch?? I wish they'd do something about it just don't tax me anything for it - something for nothing or go fuck yourself

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Don't forget

Are you assuming this is a one way toll? because guess what, Torontonian's are not going to be happy when they realize they too will have to pay to drive out of the city
I will GLADLY pay to get out and come into the city, just like i use the 407 when i want, for the convenience.

There is still ways people can get out of the city that dont involve those highways.

And have they stated if they are 24 Hr Tolls vs Timed to coincide with peak traffic times? Who knows? i dont care ! DO IT REGARDLESS

FUCK YES is all i can say. It will make people think smarter about how they are going to get somewhere, it will encourage people to take transit, trains, and is a much needed revenue stream for the city IF;

- It is ONLY used for transit and traffic infrasturcture
- ZERO General Revnue acquisition or ' borrowing ' can happen
- Bout time the commuting populace be responsible for the havoc and wear and tear they cause.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
i'm wondering why the toll is so low. metrolinx wanted almost $30 for that train, so $2 for highway usage? pls

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Generally I don't have a problem with this, Tory has stated the revenue will be put into a special fund that will only be used for transit/transport... BUT I also remember the Province said that about gas taxes.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
why is it that Toronto, which sends more Liberals to Queens Park and Ottawa than any other part of the country, continues to get screwed by Liberal governments in terms of infrastructure monies? where is all that money going?

wickedken

TRIBE Member
This could also be good on another front: road tolls can be used to influence vehicle usage to address congestion and also to reduce emissions.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
That's a good question that is entertained all the time when they vote themselves a raise.
The current salary is $108,032 (the mayor's is around $181,000). Do you feel this is too high? What do you feel it should be? The 2016 raise is a cost of living (according to the Consumer Price Index) increase. Do you think they shouldn't get this? Their pay is around the 37th percentile when you look at city councillors' pay in Canadian municipalities.