• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

risks of receiving a box of goodies from asia

Understated

TRIBE Member
my friend wants to send me a box full of stuff she bought from hong kong so she can bypass taxes and stuff on her way home. belts, pants, bags... probably some imitation stuff. she has a few boxes and she's splitting them up among her friends.

what are ther risks to me if customs stops the package from getting to me? if they look inside it and see imitation stuff, could i get in shit even tho i didn't send it?

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
no, no risk to you but any counterfeit items would be confiscated by Canada Customs.

the odds of them being able to determine if any of it is, however, is low.

Understated

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:
no, no risk to you but any counterfeit items would be confiscated by Canada Customs.

the odds of them being able to determine if any of it is, however, is low.
wouldn't i get fined or something?

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
no, as you have no control over what others send you. if it were a couple kilos of heroin then the RCMP would sting to see if you picked it up, but we're talking about clothing knockoffs.

not to worry. the worst case is you wouldn't get some or all of it, but customs would have to both open the parcel and determine counterfeit for that to happen.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
if you're talking one or two knockoffs or pirated dvd's or soemthing.. you will not have a problem even if customs opens the box.. if you're talking 200 copies pirated dvd's... that's a little different

Understated

TRIBE Member
it's a 20 kg box full of some belts, pants, bags, and whatever else clothing accessories my friend decides to put into it... no dvd's or pirated software or anything...

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
The declared value of a 'gift' sent from outside the country has to be under $60 Canadian for it to be duty-free.

I would guess that the fine folks at Canada customs would be smart enough to figure out that the contents of a 20kg box are probably worth more than that.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
good point...

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/postal/ind_duty_free-e.html

Postal Program -- Duty-free and tax-exempt importations
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) can examine any item that comes into Canada by mail.

You may have to pay duty, the goods and services tax (GST) or harmonized sales tax (HST), and provincial sales tax (PST) on items mailed to you. This depends on:

the item's value in Canadian dollars
whether or not it is a gift.

Value in Canadian dollars

If someone mails you an item worth $20 CAN or less, you don't have to pay duty or tax on the item (see D8-2-2 for details).

If the item is worth more than $20 CAN, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on the item's full value (see D8-2-2 for details).

Some items do not qualify for the $20 CAN exemption:

tobacco
books
periodicals
magazines
alcoholic beverages
goods ordered through a Canadian post office box or intermediary

Items that qualify as a "gift"

For an item to qualify as a "gift", another person must send it to you personally and must include a card or other notice indicating that it's a gift.

If you receive an imported gift by mail and it's worth $60 CAN or less, you don't have to pay duty or tax.
If the gift is worth more than $60, you must pay duty and tax on the amount over $60 CAN.
For example, if a relative sends you a gift worth $200 CAN, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on $140 CAN.
Please note:

The $60 CAN gift exemption does not apply to:
goods such as tobacco, alcoholic beverages, or advertising material
items sent by a business, company, or association.
As well, the $60 CAN exemption that's available on gifts cannot be combined with the $20 CAN exemption that's available on all items.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
when my friend was teaching in japan he sent a big box of japanese candy/chocolate and other shit.

besides the usual pocky and pretzel stuff, there was this bag of squid jerky... just baby squid tenticles dried up with seasoning.

the second i opened the bag, i wanted to puke... but like the champ i am, i attempted to eat it.....
and then promptly puked.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JAR

TRIBE Member
option 1)
you're lucky. your friend wrote the value of the goods under $60 and they don't bother checking the contents. nothing will happen. You get the stuff, don't pay any duty or tax. This actually happens. I've sent several boxes of goods from China to Toronto and this was the outcome.

option 2)
customs and revenue canada checks the pacakge and assesses the value of goods and charges you the appropriate taxes/duties. This has happened to me only once...ended up paying like $50 for 15 pairs of jeans.

option 3)
the goods are not authentic (knock-offs), or perhaps incorrectly labelled - eg. no country of origin label. Canada customs seizes the goods. You lose. This happened to me once.