• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

RIP The Guvernment complex

Primavera

TRIBE Member
kind of surprised there is no mention of this here

final event was last night, Deadmau5 and Mark Oliver played. Charles K chose the final track.

Sounded pretty memorable for the stuff I was reading on TRC (which I assume few Tribers have heard of)

Primavera

TRIBE Member
I think a topic of Toronto's most iconic club in the last decade shutting down forever discussing this deserves to not be in the Nobody Cares thread.

I know it's being discussed plenty on twitter/insta, etc.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Last decade??!!

While I think about it, does anyone know where Mark Oliver's reign as Resident rank globally speaking? The Man bin at the helm at a major destination spot for the entire time, and over what, about twenty something years?

Man, his son can sing!

Really hope my footage turns out okay...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Brandon

TRIBE Member
I know I've got a ticket stub from RPM around here somewhere...*shuffles through massive Rubbermaid flyer bin*

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Also, to add regarding the order of things. Charlie selected and played the last track (Bocelli), then with Mark doing the Encore.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
Last decade??!!
I know it's been around 18 years, and "warehouse" / "rpm" before that. But in the last decade specifically with stuff like System/Circa shut down and Docks/Sound Academy more of a concert venue than club, Guv has really been top dog in the hierarchy of clubs in the city.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
Obviously yes top dog of big corporate bottle-service quasi douchey club environment for sure.

I went to a big club in Tokyo called Womb a few weeks ago which obliterated the Guv in my eyes.

I thought for years the Guv had an amazing soundsystem and after going to Womb it just is kind of crap in comparison.

Hopefully whatever they do or invest in Sound Academy during the renovations is a major improvement of what they have now.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Obviously yes top dog of big corporate bottle-service quasi douchey club environment for sure.

I went to a big club in Tokyo called Womb a few weeks ago which obliterated the Guv in my eyes.

I thought for years the Guv had an amazing soundsystem and after going to Womb it just is kind of crap in comparison.

Hopefully whatever they do or invest in Sound Academy during the renovations is a major improvement of what they have now.
The guv SS is junk? really tell me more. The Irony in your statement is that Steve Dash did the Womb sound system.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
lol i don't know if thats the fatality you think it is...

how its installed, how the room is treated & set up, how often and by whom the system is maintained, how the system is played...all thats going to affect the experience more than just whose name is on the business card of the company who installed it.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
was on point this morning, fellas. I can tell you for a fact. I bin in that room since '94.

when it was operating in fine fashion, you were hard pressed to complain. and i've heard her on her worst nights (da rude sandstorm at ungainly levels; #barf). perfect? no, never. but Peak? Lovely.

that said, looks like raw footage may equal ~ 6gigs. No ideas whether the audio came through ok or not...

Primavera

TRIBE Member
The guv SS is junk? really tell me more. The Irony in your statement is that Steve Dash did the Womb sound system.
Okay, maybe junk is an overstatement. The last few times I went to Guv mainroom in last 3-4 years I found the low-end just destroyed all the mids and highs in the sound. Last went there this past October and that fully was the case again. I was going for drum 'n bass events mainly which of course have tons of bass but I found the sound mix overall just really muddled and distorted. Loud no doubt, but just way way too much low end. This is over the course of different events, different dj's, different promoters, surely different sound engineers. Also at the Guv occasionally the speakers towards the back would cut out unexpectedly, this happened at least half the events I ever went to in the mainroom. Speakers cutting in and out.

When I went to Womb in Tokyo a few weeks ago, also for a d&b event, the sound mix was perfectly balanced. Loud and crisp and the low end was powerful but and not distorted whatsoever. Mids and Highs were crystal clear. It was the best sound I've ever heard in a club.

Last edited:

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Regret not going to the closing party as I hear they are actually tearing down the building in a matter of days for the new real estate developments.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
Listen I'm not an audiophile.

For years I remember The Docks being advertised as having this amazing "Alpha-Dynacord" system, and everytime I went there the sound sucked. (still does for Sound Academy)

And the Hoxton is advertised as having this great sound system. Last went there a year ago and the sound was beyond mediocre. Good sound only at the very front of that club. Middle of the room and back it's laugably quiet.

The last time I heard truly GREAT sound in Toronto was at System Soundbar and I think one of the rooms at Circa, Footwork was decent too.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Listen I'm not an audiophile.

For years I remember The Docks being advertised as having this amazing "Alpha-Dynacord" system, and everytime I went there the sound sucked. (still does for Sound Academy)

And the Hoxton is advertised as having this great sound system. Last went there a year ago and the sound was beyond mediocre. Good sound only at the very front of that club. Middle of the room and back it's laugably quiet.

The last time I heard truly GREAT sound in Toronto was at System Soundbar and I think one of the rooms at Circa, Footwork was decent too.
you should stop posting immediately.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories