• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

The Truth

TRIBE Member
pretty shocking...more news to come
----------------
Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday afternoon in his New York City apartment, a law-enforcement official said.

The New York Police Department is investigating, and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to determine exact cause of death. The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46 years old, was found dead at his apartment at 35 Bethune St. in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan.

Mr. Hoffman won the Academy Award for Best Actor for the 2005 film, "Capote."

Award-winning Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead in Manhattan Apartment, Law-Enforcement Official Said - WSJ.com

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
A great talent. Honestly didn't know much about his private life so I'm shocked about how he went.

RIP

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
He'd been chasing the Dragon for a very long time. RIP to one of my fav actors of recent years.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
my friends facebook post

Too late people. You can not 'fill up' on or 'see more' Hoffman. He's gone.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I think my favorite performance of his was Magnolia. Everyone was amazing in that movie really. Best Tom Cruise performance as well.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Thought he was phenomenal in Doubt, Mahowny and Charlie Wilson's War. And we quite often around work quote some of his lines from Lebowski and Almost Famous.

irony for me is he won for a performance (and film) that I thought was OK, but the lesser of Toby Jones's in the 'other' Capote movie.

A real bummer.

There goes my #1 choice to play Rob Ford in the biopic...
No shit, he was my idea for a lock on a biopic on Ford if there was ever one to come about (and I think it's safe to say there will be one at some point).

Saddened to hear of his passing, moreso that he was dealing with addiction issues and a father as well. Has a very strong body of work, and was looking forward to much more in his career.

It didn't feel like he had hit his peak yet as far as his career went.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rentboy

TRIBE Member
No shit, he was my idea for a lock on a biopic on Ford if there was ever one to come about (and I think it's safe to say there will be one at some point).

Saddened to hear of his passing, moreso that he was dealing with addiction issues and a father as well. Has a very strong body of work, and was looking forward to much more in his career.

Yeah, it seemed like he was really hitting his stride over the last few years. Doubt, The Master (he was robbed of an Oscar in my book), A Late Quartet, and The Ides of March to name but a few.

He'll be missed.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
I always wanted the trailer park boys to do a parody episode of this, called "Before the devil knows you're an idiot".

Alas, saddened to hear this news. He was amazing in every movie - from Owning Mahowny, to Boogie Nights, etc.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Huge loss.

Not entirely surprising as I had read that he went to rehab for heroin last year. Hearing PSH did heroin was the most surprising thing of all, he just did not seem the type at all. But apparently he was clean for over 20 years before relapsing.

If you look at his filmography he played a key role in so so so many fantastic films. The list is kind of astounding at how prolific he has been in the last 15 years.

Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Big Lebowski, Million Impossible 3, Ides of March, Happiness, The Savages, Almost Famous, Talented Mr Ripley, Hunger Games: Catching Fire, The Master, Capote, Pirate Radio, Synecdoche New York, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Owning Mahoney, Punch Drunk Love, 25th Hour, Red Dragon, etc etc.

Personally I think his best roles were: The Master, Owning Mahoney, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Capote and Almost Famous.

The guy was in everything, and he turned small roles into memorable characters so often.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Can't forget Scent of a Woman.

RIP. Loved him as an actor. Didn't know much about his personal life, though. Surprised to hear he had an addiction. Bummer.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter

Ditto!

He's already been as good as you get, and I've always put him up there with guys like Daniel Day-Lewis. Someone who's got a lifetime of top notch performances.