• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

RIP Phife Dawg - The 5 Foot Assasin

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Such tragic news.

I'm sure like the rest of you ATCQ has a special place in all our hearts.

This is a sad morning.

phife2.jpg

Now here's a funky introduction of how nice I am
Tell your mother, tell your father, send a telegram
I'm like an energizer cause, you see, I last long
My crew is never ever wack because we stand strong
Now if you say my style is wack that's where you're dead wrong
I slayed that body in El Segundo then Push it Along
You'd be a fool to reply that Phife is not the man
Cause you know and I know that you know who I am
A special shot of peace goes out to all my pals, you see
And a middle finger goes for all you punk MC's
Cause I love it when you wack MC's despise me
They get vexed, I roll next, can't none contest me
I'm just a fly MC who's five foot three and very brave
On job remaining, no home training cause I misbehave
I come correct in full effect have all my hoes in check
And before I get the butt the jim must be erect
You see, my aura's positive I don't promote no junk
See, I'm far from a bully and I ain't a punk
Extremity in rhythm, yeah that's what you heard
So just clean out your ears and just check the word

Stop Bill C-10

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
RIP.
So many good memories. Still remember a shitty rainy cold day at lolapalooza and when tribe came on the clouds rolled back, the sun came out and the party started.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
RIP :(

I'll never forget the day Tribe broke up. Right before the Tribe + Beasties at Molson Park. We got Biz Markie instead.

Still one of the best days of my life but it would've been THE BEST if Tribe had played too.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
A Tribe Called Quest was a huge cornerstone for my appreciation of Hip Hop. I remember going to Starsound on Yonge and College and picking up their first album, just on the strength of I Left My Wallet In El Segundo.

It was really sad to see Phife in such bad shape and finding out about his surgery in the ATCQ documentary. You could really see that he was gutted by how the group had fallen apart, and maybe felt a bit left behind.

RIP Phife - thanks for contributing to the soundtrack of my high school years and far beyond.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Sad day for sure. Im with you guys - I Grew up with Tribe Called Quest - It was the soundtrack of highschool. I remember my grade 9 homeroom class was keyboarding and our teacher used to let us take turns playing music in class while we all bashed away mindlessly. my class was full of kids into hip hop so we used to listen to Tribe, Public Enemy, The Beasties, De La Soul and on and on. I haven't thought about that class in years - but I still remember the music. Toward the end of highschool at dances or parties when Scenario would come on, with just those first three notes the whole floor would erupt into a mosh pit of guys jumping up and down and trying to remember the lyrics - hands down the best group rap ever.

Then in university, we had Midnight Marauders and Wu Tang drop at the same time. There was Dr Dre's The Chronic followed by Snoop's Doggy Style, so much great hip hop, we were spoiled. I can barely listen to the new shit these days. Damn all the music of the early 90s was incredible, hip hop, alternative, house and techno. It all still holds up 25 years later. It's crazy to think but it's all classic now. What a time to be alive.

RIP Phife - gone but still first up to bat

[YOUTUBE]/youtu.be/Q6TLWqn82J4[/YOUTUBE]