• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

RIP Martin Streek

JamesM

TRIBE Member
susan g cole.
writes for Now.
who is this cunt ?
http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/story.cfm?content=170279

Radio DJ Martin Streek always lived on the edge. Yesterday (Monday, July 6) he stepped over – a note affixed to the door of his home suggests he committed suicide.

Streek, who spun for 102.1 The Edge (and its earlier incarnation CFNY) was an unusual for a radio DJ – all music, in itself not that strange, and very little ego, which was what made him stand out. He led with his love for alt-rock, taking the evening slot and hosting his retro 80s nights at the now defunct Whiskey Saigon and his Club 102 nights at the Phoenix.

Co-workers remember how he was always nagging the station's music director to update the programming – Streek hated it when his playlist got stale and insisted that new acts be added. He championed bands like Nine Inch Nails, whom he thought weren't getting enough airplay and did everything in his power to keep 102.1 fresh. He loved his work, took it seriously and demonstrated zero attitude on the job.

Streek was also freakishly ageless, never happy to reveal his birth date (he was actually born in 1952). He pulled it off because he never lost sight of the best new music and took up activities – like longboarding – that middle aged types seldom go for.

He was fired from his beloved radio station in mid-May, a victim of restructuring. He had been trying to clean up over the past years – decades on the club scene had led to some dangerous excess.

But he didn't make it. Toronto's lost a true original.
--------------------------
this cunt should lose her job.
he was the epitome of clean living for many years.
( i know this for a fact, as do many ex co workers of his who spoke to him a mere 3 weeks before his death ).
and he wasn't born anywhere near 1952 ( try 62-63 )...he put that ( 1952 ) in his bio because his fav musician Joe Strummer was born then.

i can't seem to find her email address at Now, can anyone help ?

edit...
never mind, i found it.
susanc@nowtoronto.com

yeah it does come off like someone who tried their hardest to write something endearing but on the final thought couldn't contain their deeply rooted cynical glory. which I guess was something thrown in for sensationalism and hate for their own life.

sad.

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
If you're going to write an article that will be read widely, at least get the facts straight. His listed birthdate at least should have triggered something in this chick's head. Martin indeed was a fun loving and great guy. His character will be greatly missed. Yes, he had issues in the past. I'm sure there are a lot of people who could say the same. Now should be a time to remember the good stuff, not relive the past that he worked so hard to eradicate. He will be sadly missed by a lot of people, myself included.

billy

TRIBE Member
martin's beverage requests for his friday night live show were water, red bull and apple juice. no booze. if he was a man of excess, he did it on his own time.

he would talk to anyone who came up to him. he always had time for a music fan. i don't think those final comments were necessary.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
depression can be an outright bitch when it kicks in.
if his uber close friends only saw the warning signs a bit earlier...
it totally can, but sometimes there is no way to tell it's coming, even if you're an uber close friend. :/

BAd Luck

TRIBE Member
The amount of love and support in this thread for the guy should be a badge of shame
for edge 102.
He really left a mark on this city.

*still rock'n out to old mix tapes.*
+1 my life with thrill kill kult!

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
The amount of love and support in this thread for the guy should be a badge of shame
for edge 102.
He really left a mark on this city.

*still rock'n out to old mix tapes.*
+1 my life with thrill kill kult!
ran into him at that gig, among too many to count. ( x 10 )
the man was IMO the epicenter of all things good, he was always there.
having immortal backstage passage like he did gave him the insider goods, which he eventually shared on the radio or in person if you asked.
he was the one who told me Underworld were coming end of summer...he just wouldn't say when.
he liked seeing people squirm.

mushroom

TRIBE Member
I was so shocked to hear this news. Very sad. My condolences go out to his family and friends.

I used to listen to his shows on CFNY all of the time, he was one of the few decent DJs left at that station and he knew his shit. Wasn't some corporate shill eager to stuff Nickelback and Simple Plan down our throats.

I even remember listening to the awesome live-to-air retro show at Whiskey Saigon, every Sunday night, back in the day. I used to tape the show so I could listen to it through the week.

He will be missed!!

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
this is a sad story, all the way down to how he posted a note on his facebook.

i read the Alan Cross piece, and i noticed that he said that Hunter S. Thompson was his literary hero, who happened to have also taken his own life.

my condolences to all of you who were fans or knew him personally.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
She's SOL if you ask me. If you are a journalist, you are supposed to use proper language, punctuation, and words to convey proper meaning to the reader. Seems that she is unable to do just that. She should be writing about "community happenings" instead.

mushroom

TRIBE Member
Glad she update her post, that was pretty bad showcase of lazy and sloppy journalism.

But at least she owned up to and she said the focus can now shift back to remembering Martin. I'm going to crank some Depeche Mode and NIN tonight!

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
a bit more insight to Martin's last month with us, written by Fred Patterson.
http://www.canadianthinker.com/2009/07/martin_streek_-_rip.html

Marty! Why the fuck didn't you say something?

It was just over a month ago that a few of us spent a Saturday with Martin Streek. We gathered at a cottage on Stoney Lake to celebrate the upcoming marriage of another old Edge guy, Neil Morrison.

It was great to see Marty because I go way back with this guy. I remember when he first started to roam the halls of CFNY back in the mid 80's. Actually, I had first become good friends with Marty's brother Rob who never worked in radio, but it was Rob's association with a bunch of CFNY guys that opened the door for Marty.

Marty did all kinds of things for the Spirit of Radio and at the time I remember thinking what a great addition he was to the radio station; young, enthusiastic and always a fun, good natured presence.

Give Marty credit, he stuck with it and his ambition to rise from a radio grunt guy to an on-air personality came true through a lot of hard work and commitment.

Through my association with CFNY / The Edge, Marty was one of the constants. When I left in 2003, there were only a handful left from the previous era and Martin was one of my favourites. I loved being around the guy because he always had a story, and if he didn't, somebody else had a story that involved Marty.

When I saw him a few weeks ago, Martin seemed to be in good spirits. He was disappointed with leaving the Edge but he told me about several sticks he had in the fire and he was looking forward to heading out to the west coast for a vacation.

Obviously I didn't detect anything out of sorts beyond talking to a guy who had just left his job, I really felt he had turned a page and was looking at the next few years as a welcome change and challenge.

Needless to say there was some pain, doubt and darkness there that he didn't speak about, and I'm sure that's the frustrating part for people who knew and loved Marty.

I've said it on this blog many times before, I considered many of the people who worked at CFNY in the 80's to be family and Martin was one of them. There was an atmosphere at the station back then that I'm sure could never be duplicated in today's environment.

We were a good radio station parked out in Brampton delivering a unique product with a lot of stumbling blocks that other stations didn't have to deal with - a revolving door of ownership and bizarre CRTC commitments are just a couple of them.

But it brought us all together in a unique way and it's something I haven't been able to shake. Those people I worked with at CFNY in the 80's are literally part of me, they're part of who I am and what I became and Martin Streek is on that list.

When I first started at CFNY I was the young guy but then as I became older it was people like Marty who helped me stay young and on the air at a New Rock station well into my 40's.

And that's why, like so many other people today, I feel like shit. I don't want Martin Streek to be dead, especially when he doesn't have to be dead.

Over the past several hours things have been running through my mind. Like what if he had fed off my age like I fed off his youth? What if he had told me about what was going on in his head and asked for advice based on the fact that I too had been removed from the business I loved?

We could have had that talk just a few short weeks ago on Stoney Lake.

No doubt there was a lot more to Martin's horrific decision than just job loss, but if that was the clincher, then maybe someone could have talked him through it.

Marty! Why the fuck didn't you say something?

Last edited:

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
man that last post by ndrworld really tugged at those strings inside of me. as are all the other things i'm reading this week about the guy.

just reading about the guilt that one of his friends could have about this. suicide is such a horrible thing to do to everyone that loves you. maybe someone who knows more about this can enlighten me, but it sounds like a suicidal person will do anything but talk about this with their friends and family, they have it set in their head that it's the best way out of a struggle with life.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
http://www.eyeweekly.com/blog/post/65382--martin-streek-remembered

EYE WEEKLY's Liisa Ladouceur pays tribute to the former 102.1 The Edge radio host — who took his own life on Monday — and speaks to long-time colleagues George Stroumboulopoulos, Alan Cross, Brother Bill and Dave Bookman about the influence he had on generation of alternative-rock fans in Toronto and beyond.

He was the true spirit of radio. Martin Streek, the longest-running voice of 102.1 the Edge, was found dead on Monday. He took his own life at the age of 45. He’ll be remembered in headlines as a popular on-air personality, host of the Thursday 30 Countdown and live-to-air club nights from the Phoenix. He should also be remembered as an outspoken champion of music the likes of which is rarely heard on commercial radio anymore. Perhaps because Martin started at the station way back in the early ’80s, when it was still called CFNY and was still known for breaking the rules. But until he was dismissed from the station in a staff purge this past May, you could always count on him to represent the alternative nation. He was real — as real as the station logo he had tattooed on his ass.

Martin started out volunteering, as an assistant to DJ Live Earl Jive. After the only job interview he would ever have, he was hired by CFNY’s original program director David Marsden to work the CFNY Video Roadshow, a travelling dance party that brought new wave and punk to high schools in coolness-deprived small-town hamlets like mine: it was at one of those Roadshows where I first met Martin Streek.

I’ve spent the 22 years since admiring his energy and enthusiasm, dancing to his tunes and laughing at those cornball “Martycisms” that would become his trademark when he hit the CFNY airwaves in 1992. (“Beastie Brothers,” anyone?) For 20 years, as DJs came and went and corporate format shifts threatened to kill off everything cool about the place, Martin held down the fort, saying what he really thought about Nickelback and taking all opportunities to push his favourites (Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, Pop Will Eat Itself, Faith No More — even Kyuss, a band the station would never play).

When he counted down his anticipation for Tool gigs to the exact second you could actually see his goosebumps. He supported local indies, too. I’ll never forget him jumping on stage with Nice Cat at The Boat (pictured) to rock some Lord of the Rings passages over one of their new tracks. Just because.

If his sudden departure from the Edge just a few weeks ago came as kick in the gut, news of his suicide — spread quickly Monday night through blogs, Twitter and Facebook — felt like multiple stabs to the heart. That haunting final FB status update (“I guess that’s it…thanks everyone”), the constant stream of RIPs. Then, an outpouring of online postings by thousands of listeners that proved how much he mattered, perhaps more than he knew.

When contacted for comment, several of Martin’s former colleagues still shocked by his death had much to say about the good he did in his life. Dave Bookman called him “The King of Clubs” and praised his recent charity efforts. Neil Morrison (a.k.a. Brother Bill) remembered how “in 30 seconds Martin could turn people’s opinions about the station right around. They’d go from yelling ‘I hate you guys, you’ve sold out!’ to 'Martin, you’re such a cool guy.'" Alan Cross called Martin’s contributions to the station’s playlist “invaluable” and says, “People literally grew up listening to him. How many generations have danced to his beat?” George Stroumboulopoulos put it thusly: “I always looked at Martin like one of the Knights that guard the Holy Grail — he understood what music can represent, that the right song can give you everything. He was one of very few guys who would stand guard to protect that.”

Music gave so much to Martin, and he spread it back to us a thousandfold — with a passion and charm not soon forgotten. He is survived by his mother, Grace, his two brothers, Robbie and Doug (known to most as Lance), and a city of alternative-rock fans who will forever keep his memory locked and cranked.

Memorial services for Martin Streek are pending — we will update this article once information becomes available. On Thursday, July 9, David Marsden will dedicate his radio show to Streek’s memory. Listen at 94.9 FM or globalmarsden.com. Email letters@eyeweekly.com.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
couldn't ask for a better 5 hours of music.

Phoenix is having a saturday special night to say goodbye to him.

Private invite only funeral is satuday.

still awaiting info on public memorial.

rhyss

TRIBE Member
if radio was more like that, I would listen more.

David Marsden's Thurs and Fri show looks pretty good though. I might tune in more often....