• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

RIP Martin Streek

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Martin Streek was a great supporter of my band Twinfold, playing us at his live to air at the kingdom frequently. Sad day in Toronto music history.
No F'ing way! We might have had this conversation, but my old shitty band opened for twinfold about 9 / 10 years ago at the reverb. good times had.

Mrs. Pink

TRIBE Member
dude i don't even remember. but i rembmer trying to name our band on stage that day. that was fun and took up 5 minutes of our set. Brilliance. :D
i recall and band that we played with that was tossing names out to the crowd attempting to name their band during the show. It was an independant music festival thing at the Reverb that we headlined.....probably you guys.

and the singers name was cory?

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
i recall and band that we played with that was tossing names out to the crowd attempting to name their band during the show. It was an independant music festival thing at the Reverb that we headlined.....probably you guys.

and the singers name was cory?
yes Cory!!! He was absolutely crazy, from what I remember. He wrote all the songs, and they were mostly directed to his ex-girfriend. yeeeeesh! lol

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
p.s. if some people have a struggle with the concept of retiring after devoting yourself to an organization for 20 plus years, I can not imagine how hard it would be on a person who was fired after 20 plus years of outstanding service. *my 2 cents*
depression can be an outright bitch when it kicks in.
if his uber close friends only saw the warning signs a bit earlier...

BAd Luck

TRIBE Member
Bye Marty. :(
You probably had no idea how many people in the GTA knew your voice as it defined an
era of music in our lives.
I will have a toast in your honour.
I saved many of your radio shows from the early 90's on cassette and will rock out.

zoo

TRIBE Member
RIP Martin Streek. I've got a whole bunch of tapes at my parents house, and I'm willing to bet real money that his voice is immortalized on more than one of them, live-to-air. Even though I had never met him, I listened, and enjoyed his presence on the radio for many years, and am sad to hear this news.

billy

TRIBE Member
has there been any discussion of this on FM 102.1 today? i tuned in to the dean blundell show on my way to work this morning, and those retards talked about nothing but lesbians the entire time.
haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but i hear ya. i was listening at the same time.

we have 102.1 playing on the patio and from the nooner onwards it was about love and memories.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
last few times i spoke to Martin, he was expressing his excitement that not only Tool, but Underworld were coming here.
damn you Martin.

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
I'd imagine some concert listings arent enough to keep you smiling if you're that down on shit. I wonder what his issues were. many bi-polars are never diagnosed. can be hell.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
I'd imagine some concert listings arent enough to keep you smiling if you're that down on shit. I wonder what his issues were. many bi-polars are never diagnosed. can be hell.
i've spoken to a couple of his workers and more importantly, ex co workers.
after his firing, he went to Cali to chill.
his Facebook updates seemed very cool.
then he came home.
then, it happened.

sounds like from the time he got fired, he had it in his head to do exactly what he wanted to do. and no one picked up on it until it was too late.

the man lived an incredible life, saw shows us mere mortals would kill to be at, and ran things his way for as long as he could.
he simply had enough.

that's my take on it.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
susan g cole.
writes for Now.
who is this cunt ?
http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/story.cfm?content=170279

Radio DJ Martin Streek always lived on the edge. Yesterday (Monday, July 6) he stepped over – a note affixed to the door of his home suggests he committed suicide.

Streek, who spun for 102.1 The Edge (and its earlier incarnation CFNY) was an unusual for a radio DJ – all music, in itself not that strange, and very little ego, which was what made him stand out. He led with his love for alt-rock, taking the evening slot and hosting his retro 80s nights at the now defunct Whiskey Saigon and his Club 102 nights at the Phoenix.

Co-workers remember how he was always nagging the station's music director to update the programming – Streek hated it when his playlist got stale and insisted that new acts be added. He championed bands like Nine Inch Nails, whom he thought weren't getting enough airplay and did everything in his power to keep 102.1 fresh. He loved his work, took it seriously and demonstrated zero attitude on the job.

Streek was also freakishly ageless, never happy to reveal his birth date (he was actually born in 1952). He pulled it off because he never lost sight of the best new music and took up activities – like longboarding – that middle aged types seldom go for.

He was fired from his beloved radio station in mid-May, a victim of restructuring. He had been trying to clean up over the past years – decades on the club scene had led to some dangerous excess.

But he didn't make it. Toronto's lost a true original.
--------------------------
this cunt should lose her job.
he was the epitome of clean living for many years.
( i know this for a fact, as do many ex co workers of his who spoke to him a mere 3 weeks before his death ).
and he wasn't born anywhere near 1952 ( try 62-63 )...he put that ( 1952 ) in his bio because his fav musician Joe Strummer was born then.

i can't seem to find her email address at Now, can anyone help ?

edit...
never mind, i found it.
susanc@nowtoronto.com