• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

RIP Martin Streek

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
This is fucked up, I just found out about this from my ex-husband, they were really good friends.

WOW... speechless. :( RIP Martin.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
WOW - was always very nice when I would run into him at the old Ballys location - North Goodlife at Eaton Centre, shocking.

He will be missed :(

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Caz

TRIBE Member
yup,

barry was also fired in May

the station has undergone a restructuring.

they are moving away from being a "new rock" station to being more in the Mix 99 way of doing things.

expect to hear lots lots more 90's rock than ever before, it's becoming more of a classics station.
Source? Link?

I find that last part pretty hard to believe.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Source? Link?

I find that last part pretty hard to believe.
classics in the sense that the playlist is now going to be heavily skewed toward the 90's rather than more towards "new rock"

source is a close friend who is pretty integrated into the whole toronto rock radio scene.

go to the edge site and look at what they've been playing, looooots more 90's stuff

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
yup,

barry was also fired in May

the station has undergone a restructuring.

they are moving away from being a "new rock" station to being more in the Mix 99 way of doing things.

expect to hear lots lots more 90's rock than ever before, it's becoming more of a classics station.
Let's not forget Alan Cross was also fired as programming director too.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
I would bet that management would have DEFINITELY instructed their on-air staff not to talk about his death in great length. Discussing it would obviously open the doors to a ton of angry, upset callers and a slew of emails. Media outlets tend to just make people “disappear” after layoffs, firings etc…like they never existed at all. Talking about his death would put the station in the hotseat in regards to how unfairly he was let go, with no goodbye to his listeners or acknowledgement of the years of service he gave. As cowardly as it is, I bet they just don’t want to deal with the backlash.
RIP.
well, josie dye is talking about it. (i just tuned into the show in the background.)

if anything, i would expect that people would backlash against the station for NOT talking about it, like those retards did this morning.

i don't really fault the station for firing him (although i may think it was a dumb move), as it's just a business decision. one would expect that martin streek would have easily found another gig in this city.

i would fault the station for avoiding the topic like they did this morning, so if that was a conscious management decision, they should go fuck themselves.

as josie dye is talking about nothing else at the moment, i wonder if the station reversed their previous decision after receiving an onslaught of criticism after those dean blundell idiots acted like retards all morning instead of discussing the death.

anyway, there is a good tribute show on the station right now for anyone who has time to listen.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Let's not forget Alan Cross was also fired as programming director too.
oh shit, i didn't know that. i guess you gotta do what you gotta do if you're losing money. you'd think that some other radio station (perhaps one with lower operating costs) could take those guys on and build an instant fan-base.

i have no idea how the radio industry works, but i'd expect there would be a market for something those guys could put together.

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
oh shit, i didn't know that. i guess you gotta do what you gotta do if you're losing money. you'd think that some other radio station (perhaps one with lower operating costs) could take those guys on and build an instant fan-base.

i have no idea how the radio industry works, but i'd expect there would be a market for something those guys could put together.
Alan Cross still works for Corus as his Exploremusic is heard on 102.1fm every night at 7, and it's really good. Great new music for an hour. As well, he's on BITE TV every night with a panel show.

Caz

TRIBE Member
classics in the sense that the playlist is now going to be heavily skewed toward the 90's rather than more towards "new rock"

source is a close friend who is pretty integrated into the whole toronto rock radio scene.

go to the edge site and look at what they've been playing, looooots more 90's stuff

They have always played a mix of 90's alternative and new-ish indie stuff, this is nothing new.

It will be interesting to see the changes if what you are saying turns out to hold any water, but again I find it hard to believe they would alter a format that has virtually cornered the popular market for them.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
one would expect that martin streek would have easily found another gig in this city.
no other station here in Toronto was worthy of Martin, nor would he hop aboard these other lame ass stations here.
and i don't think moving to another city was an option.
Toronto was his home.

Caz

TRIBE Member
Caz it's 100% true, and I for one am applauding it. They are playing A LOT more 90-95 alternative on a regular rotation, it's got me listening again
All said, I did notice a lot of rarely heard 90's favorites back in rotation. Let's just hope they don't start shunning new acts as a way to push this forward.

Boss Hog be damned, the edge introduced me some of my new favorite bands, and I applaud them for that.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Apparently the morning show mentioned it briefly, and then went back to sex with retards or whatever it is they talk about. I just heard that Josie girl create an over saturated moment of silence, proclaiming that it's a "huge loss for the station". Which is pretty messed up on it's own, if his death really is related to them firing him.
Dean, Todd, and Jason all put something on their blogs.

derek

TRIBE Member
I remember sitting at the VOX on Adelaide and Ontario streets many summers ago. I was at a table with Michael Drury, Don Berns, DJ Iain, and Robbie Streek. Along walks this shirtless dood, and it's Martin Streek. I tell ya, I learned so much that day, I barely said a word in 2 hours and just listened to these guys discuss music history.

RIP man, I'll always remember Phoenix saturdays as your party

1groove days by chance (the station was next to vox)? i had a show just after don's and before matt c.

come to think of it that's the last time i ran into martin myself.

Mrs. Pink

TRIBE Member
Martin Streek was a great supporter of my band Twinfold, playing us at his live to air at the kingdom frequently. Sad day in Toronto music history.

squidly

TRIBE Member
Am really sad to hear this as i spent many fun nights at friday night live and later at the pheonix on saturdays emailing "streek@edge.ca" for guestlist and meeting him a few times he seemed like a really nice dude. I haven't been able to listen to the edge for a while now as the station has become nothing more than a constant loop of the same nirvana/stp/theory of a deadman with some arkells thrown in for good measure.

rip martin

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories