• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

RIP Martin Streek

billy

TRIBE Member
he was a regular face for us at work, mostly via his friday night show and many of our concerts. toronto has lost a pioneer.

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
I remember sitting at the VOX on Adelaide and Ontario streets many summers ago. I was at a table with Michael Drury, Don Berns, DJ Iain, and Robbie Streek. Along walks this shirtless dood, and it's Martin Streek. I tell ya, I learned so much that day, I barely said a word in 2 hours and just listened to these guys discuss music history.

RIP man, I'll always remember Phoenix saturdays as your party

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Snuffalupagus

TRIBE Member
I'll miss ya Martin. We used to chat on occasion back in the early nineties when I was all about CFNY.
Thanks for the memories.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
has there been any discussion of this on FM 102.1 today? i tuned in to the dean blundell show on my way to work this morning, and those retards talked about nothing but lesbians the entire time.

i assume the station would not instruct their hosts to not discuss the topic, but who knows? perhaps they think the suicide makes them look bad as they fired him recently?

sorry if anyone thinks this query is insensitive. it's not my intent to be so.

craig anderson

TRIBE Member
haven't listened to the station in god knows how long...but thought i'd try to today, and ya....not a fucking thing with Blundell's show.

Josie..or whatever her name is that came on after, mentioned and actually started breaking down a bit.

Last edited:

Caz

TRIBE Member
has there been any discussion of this on FM 102.1 today? i tuned in to the dean blundell show on my way to work this morning, and those retards talked about nothing but lesbians the entire time.

i assume the station would not instruct their hosts to not discuss the topic, but who knows? perhaps they think the suicide makes them look bad as they fired him recently?

Apparently the morning show mentioned it briefly, and then went back to sex with retards or whatever it is they talk about. I just heard that Josie girl create an over saturated moment of silence, proclaiming that it's a "huge loss for the station". Which is pretty messed up on it's own, if his death really is related to them firing him.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
perhaps they think the suicide makes them look bad as they fired him recently?
it definitely does. sure, there's a remote possibility it was entirely unconnected, and the truth of these things is that there's usually a number of pressures behind any single act of self-immolation.... but regardless of everything the optics for CFNY are terrible.

not that CFNY doesn't already look terrible to anyone who actually likes music and humour above a 5 year old level.

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
rip. very sad news, especially as he survived cancer only to take his own life. i can't believe cfny fired him. he'd been with the station for decades.

She

TRIBE Member

I would bet that management would have DEFINITELY instructed their on-air staff not to talk about his death in great length. Discussing it would obviously open the doors to a ton of angry, upset callers and a slew of emails. Media outlets tend to just make people “disappear” after layoffs, firings etc…like they never existed at all. Talking about his death would put the station in the hotseat in regards to how unfairly he was let go, with no goodbye to his listeners or acknowledgement of the years of service he gave. As cowardly as it is, I bet they just don’t want to deal with the backlash.
RIP.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Josie although cute is also annoying as fuck, like blundell. The only good things about that station where Streek, Cross and Barry Taylor who's also fired.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
i still like dave bookman, and alan cross and his ongoing history of new music. they must be the only staff members from the early 90's left.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
No I'm not actually. I heard second hand his bio page wasn't on their site anymore and haven't checked myself.

/misinformation

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
yup,

barry was also fired in May

the station has undergone a restructuring.

they are moving away from being a "new rock" station to being more in the Mix 99 way of doing things.

expect to hear lots lots more 90's rock than ever before, it's becoming more of a classics station.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
i met Martin close to 19 years ago, and still knew him to this day as an epic force behind the microphone while either at 102.1 or the club night he was hosting.
such a nice guy.

that write up by Kneale Mann is spot on.
fuck...he was so excited about seeing Tool and Underworld in the coming months.

Rest in peace Martin.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit