• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Rip Kirby Puckett

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
Kirby Puckett was my favourite athlete, not just baseball player. He's the reason I am so passionate about baseball, and sports in general. He was a role model for life, not just for athletic ability. I personaly don't believe athlete should be role models, I feel he was more of one because of hie always happy go lucky attitude and years of time and great effort put forth to help those less fortunate than himself. In an era where athletes seemingly compete to be the biggest jerks, he went out of his way to be the good guy. As well as being elected to the baseball HOF, he was also elected to The Charitable Pro Athletes HOF, and won mlb's Roberto Clemente award (awarded for community service).

Kirby gave me a gift that not every person who considers themselves a fan of any one person has the joy to watch. I was able to follow his career from start to finish, which ended in the Hall Of Fame. Not everyone gets that opertunity, and I am greatful for the fun, joy, and memories,( not to mention 2 world series) that I got to share with him.

Rest In Peace KIrby.
With Love from your greatest fan -Joel
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Big League Chu

TRIBE Member
Kirby Puckett was no role model. Perhaps one of the biggest sports jerks in history. Although it was all discovered well into his retirement. His life was a very very sad story.
 

DataLadybug

TRIBE Member
RIP :(

Perhaps a tacky memory, but when I was growing up and buying potato chips at the corner store, I think I got about 500 Kirby Puckett stickers. I'm sure we still have some kicking around the house.
 

Muffdiver

TRIBE Member
Big League Chu said:
Kirby Puckett was no role model. Perhaps one of the biggest sports jerks in history. Although it was all discovered well into his retirement. His life was a very very sad story.
I didn't want to say it seeing as the guy passed away and all.....but unfortunetly, you're right, kirby Puckett was hardly a hero.

He was a great ball player, fun to watch and everything, but he was about the farthest thing from a role model as there is. A lot of the things that have come out the last couple years since he retired are very sad indeed.

R.I.P Kirby, I will always remember those stubby little legs flying around the bases.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
D1Willow said:
Kirby Puckett was my favourite athlete, not just baseball player. He's the reason I am so passionate about baseball, and sports in general. He was a role model for life, not just for athletic ability. I personaly don't believe athlete should be role models, I feel he was more of one because of hie always happy go lucky attitude and years of time and great effort put forth to help those less fortunate than himself. In an era where athletes seemingly compete to be the biggest jerks, he went out of his way to be the good guy. As well as being elected to the baseball HOF, he was also elected to The Charitable Pro Athletes HOF, and won mlb's Roberto Clemente award (awarded for community service).

Kirby gave me a gift that not every person who considers themselves a fan of any one person has the joy to watch. I was able to follow his career from start to finish, which ended in the Hall Of Fame. Not everyone gets that opertunity, and I am greatful for the fun, joy, and memories,( not to mention 2 world series) that I got to share with him.

Rest In Peace KIrby.
With Love from your greatest fan -Joel

wow. how about the multi year mistress, the wife abuse, sexual assault charges....

Great Ball Player, hardly a great role model.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
OutcastTO said:
wow. how about the multi year mistress, the wife abuse, sexual assault charges....

Great Ball Player, hardly a great role model.
For fuck's sakes!! (to Big League Chu and Muffdiver as well)

Much of this stuff happened after Puckett left the game as is well-documented. The "sexual assault charges" are a grand total of ONE charge of groping a woman in a club. The charges were dropped. As for the abuse allegation, it was made by his wife after an argument and no charges were even laid. The man was suddenly forced from the game overnight at a premature age and experienced some issues related to that. Cut him some slack.

As for his performance on the field, Puckett was always a class act and a complete professional. He is idolized and revered in Minnesota, where he played his entire career in an era of free agent mercenary superstars following the big money, and remembered with love and fondness by all his former teammates. His substantial charity work and community involvement were well-documented and he was known as one of the most fan friendly ball players of his time. Having met him myself I can gladly attest to that.

A role model.

RIP Kirby.
 
Last edited:

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
RIP
34

Kirby Puckett was my all-time favourite baseball player even more so than the great George Bell.I remember the '87 and '91 World Series championships so vividly,those were some great teams with great players like Kent Hrbek,Greg Gangne,Dan Gladden,Chuck Knoblauch et al.

I still remember to this day the '91 AL championship against the Blue Jays,I was at thye dentist and they had the game on the office radio and during a filling they defeated the Blue Jays and won the series.I jumped out of the chair estatic and the Dr. was really confused and said "son,they Blue Jays just lost..." i responded "yeah,I know".At that time I was a huge Jays fan,as I always have been,but I was a much bigger Puckett fan and I found it easy to root him and the Twins on especially in the early nineties when they Jays were tops.

In my eyes he was a great role model,he was a team player with alot of heart that gave his all to a small market team when he could've easily left for somewhere where his star would shine brighter and he could pull down alot more money.He didn't he stuck by his team til the end and i think that reflects on his character regardless of what journalists and sources said happened off the field.

At the end of the day,we all have skeletons in our closets so I dont think anyone is in the position to judge another person based on speculations and accusations.I think it would be hard to be a proffesional athlete of his calibre people are always angling,looking for a story something to try and make a name off someonelses fame.Im not saying he was right or wrong,or what happened was false,I don't know but at the end of they day the way he approached the game of baseball is commendable and kids should look up to him as a ballplayer.Guys like Kirby Puckett,Tony Gwynn,Joe Carter etc. etc. were class acts that we just don't see playing anymore and it's a shame.

At the end of the day Kirby Puckett the baseball player is somebody the next generation of baseball players should learn about.

You will be missed...

 

Big League Chu

TRIBE Member
holding a pistol in his wifes mouth, hated doing charity work like going to hospitals to see kids and sign autographs, cheating on his wife with not so attractive ladies because they suffered from low self esteem so it would seem like he was the best thing to happen to them and therefore they would not tell go public.... list goes on and on and on

He is not idolized in Minnisota, to my understanding fans have turned on him there.
 

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
OK, kid gloves off.
Lady in resturant was made up. She admited to it publicly after officals started digging and after pressing her, she fessed up. Kirby, in his grace, went against his lawyers and did not counter sue. Domestic violence sucks, but his children, who were there at the time, don't remember alot of the JILTED EX-wifes aligations. Funny. Not so attractive ladies? Don't know, I never met them, what did they look like Chu? Since you were there I have to assume they passed on you and ent for Kirby. Hated going to visit sick kids? After going out and ACTUALLY DOING it for 12 years, it could get depressing, seeing poor kids that wouldn't make it. Bet you my season tickets they aproved. And on and on, wait WTF are you talking about? When was the last time you were in Minnesota? I try to visit and unless something happened last night after he diied, (I'm guessing his legend prob grew not shrunk) he is still the most popular figure in the state.
I always followed these stories, being the fan of the player I was, and as such heard the whole story and got all the facts, not just the headlines and fill the rest in myself.
Kirby was 1st and foremost a great ball player, when he played nobody heard a bad thing about him, as at that time it was impossible. He was to busy winning humanitarian awards and world series rings.
Enjoy your field of dreams #34
Peace and Love -Joel
 

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Big League Chu said:
holding a pistol in his wifes mouth, hated doing charity work like going to hospitals to see kids and sign autographs, cheating on his wife with not so attractive ladies because they suffered from low self esteem so it would seem like he was the best thing to happen to them and therefore they would not tell go public.... list goes on and on and on

He is not idolized in Minnisota, to my understanding fans have turned on him there.
Seriously, are you trolling with this shit, trying to be funny?

If not, how about providing some sources....
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top