• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

RIP Kenny Quinn aka pr0nstar on TRIBE.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
met him a bunch of times over the years but mostly know him on the board and what can I say that hasn't already been said a stand up guy!! sending positive vibes out his way!!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I'm gonna be at Kenny's bedside again tonight so if you have something to say to him here of FB, I can try to read it to him. He is appreciative of all the concern and well wishes. Kenny was and is still a stubborn guy. Even though he can only blink and kind of use his hands, he's still shooting me looks like "fuck this shit." He mostly wants to be alone but no one is letting him. He might have given up but we haven't. Yeah, he might die at any second but that won't stop any of us from being hopeful. And he has communicated that despite being negative, he knows everyone cares. I think he has every right to feel like shit. I don't know. It's fucked. I spoke to him before he collapsed and I said I'd be there with him even if he is just sleeping. And that he'd have people around as it's the only way we can show him support since we're not doctors or nurses. Having said that, I have a request.

So my request is kinda odd... Do any of you have anything interesting I can read to him that's not too sentimental? Like a story about him and you? Or maybe a joke you think he'd like? Any tribe gossip? I haven't been here in months so I'm out of it. Something juicy? An interesting occurrence?

Not asking for last words type stuff but maybe bring some normaltity back to his sterile hospital room. I'm not going to treat him like some victim. No sorrys, no mottos, no "you'll beat this" because he won't. He knows I know he won't. I just want him to be comfortable and have some stimulation before he passes our again. So I'm throwing it out there: anything you think would take his mind off of lying in a bed for even a few seconds...

I was gonna read him the paper. Maybe Maxim. He hates Rob Ford. Anything of late that's been funny? I have been out of it. Anyway, PM me if you want or post it here. But absolutely keep the kind words coming. His mom has been reading stuff to him.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
And if you go and see him, just a warning that the scene is grim and as Balzz said, it's not pretty. My suggestion is to ask yes and no questions. And maybe come with some stories to tell him. And yes, ramble.. Go for it. Other than being on drugs, he is totally conscious of what you're saying. He can reply with a blink or a thumbs up.

But please do go if you can. His mom and dad need it right now. They're really amazing and they're at his side around the clock. Wonderful people. It's really them that need the support at this time. They're overwhelmed by the flood of people and repeat visitors.

He's at Toronto General. I'll be there from 5ish and onwards today if you have a few minutes to pop by and don't want to be there alone.

Let's hope he'll be able to speak again at some point.

Last edited:

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Good call! He's been watching some stuff on an ipad and just drifting off. That's great.
And there's new Homestar stuff right? He'll appreciate that.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I reached out to the Archer show people and Factory Entertainment and told them about Kenny's situation and asked them if they could do anything.

They launched a whole line of Archer products at the recent Comic-Con in San Diego July 24-27, and they have put together an Archer care package for Kenny (thanks Barry at Factory Entertainment!) and mailed it to me once they all got back from the convention.

The package hasn't arrived yet, Canada Post being what it is, but I suspect it will get here next week, at which time I will bring it to the hospital for Kenny.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I saw Kenny today. He is able to communicate a bit and is aware of what is going on, although he really must hate not being able to talk, but he can communicate a bit with hand signals. I got to meet his parents and also his sister. I told her there was no family resemblance and looked at Kenny and said "she's way cuter than you!" he gave me the thumbs up.

Props to Lisa (Lady Bass) who was there as well, and I also got to talk to MoFo a bit who was arriving just as I was leaving.

Pop by for a visit if you can, even if its just to say hello to Kenny and whoever else is there visiting.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Great job, Alex and Sunny. I wish I could see him, but I guess it's not bad to stick with the memories I have.

If you pass on a message for me, just tell him I hate him.

:)

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Hi I've known Pronstar online for years. I wish i knew that he had cancer. I'm living with cancer myself, and I understand how rare and weird it is to be sick when young people are not supposed to be sick! I don't have brain cancer, but something called multiple myeloma (a rare blood cancer that is still not cureable) I'm connected with a group called Young Adult Cancer Canada that has helped myself and my husband a lot accepting my diagnosis and building support network. If anyone else is living with cancer as a young person and they want to connect send me a message on tribe.

Mofo, Kenny helped me a lot when I first set up my aquarium. You can let him know that about 10 years and 7 apartment / house moves later, I still have the tank up and running :) (thanks to my friends who kept helping me move the darn thing lol)

Currently I have a few schools of different tetras, including some red spot tetras and white skirted tetras, some bushy nose plecos (the algae eaters) that are bout 5 years old and have successfully spawned and raised babies in my tank, and also have a few different loaches.

Funny story about the white skirts. The first date I went on with my husband, I didn't expect it to go anywhere, I had pretty much given up on online dating but decided to try it one more time. But I said I would only meet him for brunch, since I didn't want to waste a whole night lol. brunch went ok, he asked me what I was doing after and I said going to the aquarium store. He ended up tagging along, "so the fish would have a ride home". I asked him if he wanted to pick some fish out and he picked out the white skirts. So that was in 2009, and now 2014 still have a few of these guys swimming around! I think they will likely outlive me. only half joking here.

a weird thing, at chemo and my clinic appointments (hematology) wen I talk to other patients we always end by saying good luck to each other, kind of weird but I guess only something someone who is living with cancer can get that there is still a lot of luck for who is the "lucky one" and beats it. We all wish it upon each other. So good luck to Pronstar and his family. take care. Lucky1 aka Alyssa.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Just a suggestion. When talking with someone who is living with, going through treatment, in remission, whatever, try and avoid the battle language. My cancer friends and I don't really feel "brave" or that we are winning a "war" or at all "courageous". for the most part, depending what part of the "journey" we are in we feel depressed, tired, sick, hopeful, and perhaps alone. Myself especially the whole pink ribbon, making something positive of cancer, rubs me the wrong way. Cancer sucks, lets just acknowledge that and treat someone with cancer like a normal person

Ok, enough rambling from me...

Poot

TRIBE Member
Kenny has been very much on my mind. This is a really shitty hand to be dealt, and I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this is for his family. For my time on Tribe, I always knew Kenny as a stubborn but credible and very genuine person. Sending positive energy, thoughts and strength through this challenging and unfair time to Kenny and those who love him.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Just a suggestion. When talking with someone who is living with, going through treatment, in remission, whatever, try and avoid the battle language. My cancer friends and I don't really feel "brave" or that we are winning a "war" or at all "courageous". for the most part, depending what part of the "journey" we are in we feel depressed, tired, sick, hopeful, and perhaps alone. Myself especially the whole pink ribbon, making something positive of cancer, rubs me the wrong way. Cancer sucks, lets just acknowledge that and treat someone with cancer like a normal person

Ok, enough rambling from me...
I hear what you are saying amd having gone thru the shit twice... The way I look at it is that we are all living organisms some live longer than others some dont but no one wants to die alone...

Galactic Phantom

TRIBE Member
Kenny was a lot more energetic in the evening than earlier this afternoon. I left him the most recent copy of J-14 that was signed by all the members of One Direction, he had enough energy to give me the dirtiest look (I told him he could kick my ass when he got out)

I seriously think Kenny likes Niall the best out of all the members of 1D.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I've never really known Kenny except as pr0nstar (who was always good fun). When ChrisD posted his full name, it rang a bell. I looked it up and saw his pic. Yep, I've seen a number of his funny posts on a mutual friend's facebook page.

Sending him and his family my best wishes and all the positive energy I can muster. xoxo

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Well, this is a reminder to everyone that we are all mortal. Our time here is precious, and limited.

Think about the wondrous improbability that we are born at all. It's mind blowing.

All of us will meet our end. Thank you Kenny for reminding me that being alive and healthy is awesome.

Kindest regards,

Jeff

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
In case any of Kenny's friends are looking to visit him, he moved to St. Mike's. You can PM me for his new room info or if you're friends with me on Facebook, message me there.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Hi I've known Pronstar online for years. I wish i knew that he had cancer. I'm living with cancer myself, and I understand how rare and weird it is to be sick when young people are not supposed to be sick! I don't have brain cancer, but something called multiple myeloma (a rare blood cancer that is still not cureable) I'm connected with a group called Young Adult Cancer Canada that has helped myself and my husband a lot accepting my diagnosis and building support network. If anyone else is living with cancer as a young person and they want to connect send me a message on tribe.

Mofo, Kenny helped me a lot when I first set up my aquarium. You can let him know that about 10 years and 7 apartment / house moves later, I still have the tank up and running :) (thanks to my friends who kept helping me move the darn thing lol)

Currently I have a few schools of different tetras, including some red spot tetras and white skirted tetras, some bushy nose plecos (the algae eaters) that are bout 5 years old and have successfully spawned and raised babies in my tank, and also have a few different loaches.

Funny story about the white skirts. The first date I went on with my husband, I didn't expect it to go anywhere, I had pretty much given up on online dating but decided to try it one more time. But I said I would only meet him for brunch, since I didn't want to waste a whole night lol. brunch went ok, he asked me what I was doing after and I said going to the aquarium store. He ended up tagging along, "so the fish would have a ride home". I asked him if he wanted to pick some fish out and he picked out the white skirts. So that was in 2009, and now 2014 still have a few of these guys swimming around! I think they will likely outlive me. only half joking here.

a weird thing, at chemo and my clinic appointments (hematology) wen I talk to other patients we always end by saying good luck to each other, kind of weird but I guess only something someone who is living with cancer can get that there is still a lot of luck for who is the "lucky one" and beats it. We all wish it upon each other. So good luck to Pronstar and his family. take care. Lucky1 aka Alyssa.
wow. thanks for sharing. sobering read. great to see your support system is behind you all the way, that must make things somewhat easier. good luck to you as well if that's the right thing to say?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories