• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

RIP Jane Jacobs

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
One of the greatest thinkers on urban living and the impact of spawl as died in Toronto today. She was 89.

"There is a quality even meaner than outright ugliness or disorder, and this meaner quality is the dishonest mask of pretended order, achieved by ignoring or suppressing the real order that is struggling to exist and to be served"

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
she deserves a ton of credit for saving Toronto with the successful fight against the Spadina Expressway, that would have been a disaster!

RIP Jane.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

coleridge

TRIBE Member
dicksherwood said:
she deserves a ton of credit for saving Toronto with the successful fight against the Spadina Expressway, that would have been a disaster!

RIP Jane.
From a transportation point of view it wouldn't have been a disaster. It would be a godsend these days. However, I will agree the negative impact aesthetically and environmentaly to this city would far outway any positives.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
Canadian Citizen = Canadian.
No U.S. Citizenship = Not American.
That's cool. I'm gonna tell all of the people I meet that call themselves Polish, or Greek, or whatever, despite being born here and having Canadian citizenship to shut the hell up. Acheron says you are a Canadian and you can only be a Canadian!

acheron

TRIBE Member
See, the way it was when she emigrated to Canada, she requested Canadian citizenship and was told by the US that she couldn't be an American citizen any more as a result - i.e. no dual citizenship. So she made a deliberate choice and lost her American citizenship as a result.

I think the important question here, which might be difficult to find an answer to, is what did JJ consider herself? Canadian, American, American-born Canadian, or simply a citizen of the world?

mingster

TRIBE Member
maybe she considered herself a canadian AND an american. an american-canadian? more than one thing at a time?

rip.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Ironic how I was thinking how useless the Allen is when I was near it today. Would have made my travelling life a lot easier.

427 to the west.

DVP to the east, or city streets.

That Spadina expressway would have been great.

As well as the Scarborough Expressway.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
I think she was wrong on the Spadina Expressway, but I will give Jane Jacobs her due respect. She generally had some great ideas and successes on urban renewal.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
jane jacobs was a badass lady.
days away from her 90th birthday and she was still working on a new book!
rest in peace jane, toronto is a better city because of you.

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
From a transportation point of view it wouldn't have been a disaster. It would be a godsend these days. However, I will agree the negative impact aesthetically and environmentaly to this city would far outway any positives.
I don't mean to desecrate a discussion dedicated to a hero of this city but are you new?

There would be no Forest Hill, no Annex, no Chinatown, no Queen west, it would have made developing outside the city a much larger priority than in city development, we'd have a downtown empty after 5pm because it would be so much easier to get out of the city to the burbs, it would be a godsend for a car dominated urban vision, which was determined in the 70's to be a growing city's worst nightmare...you would be playing Pallazzo every weekend because there would be no downtown entertainment district, Toronto would be Detroit if there was a Spadina expressway.

Thank god for Jane and her crew, they really did save this town and deserve a great deal of credit for all the good things about this city.

Sassy

TRIBE Member
R.I.P. - American/Canadian/whatever - Jane was a great woman because she cared about this city and made a genuine difference, and that in the end is what really counts and what she will or should be remembered for.

dyad

TRIBE Member
RIP to the woman who was able to make sense of sociological concepts for anyone regardless of their background

and also for being strongwilled enough to risk losing favour in her chosen home of toronto by hurting feelings and naming it a city in decline during the nineties.

I have been meaning to pick up Dark Age Ahead.