• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

RIP George Michael

The Truth

TRIBE Member
2016 takes another pop star..
------------------------------------------------------

Singer George Michael has died aged 53, his publicist has said.

The star, who launched his career with Wham! in the 1980s and later continued his success as a solo performer, is said to have "passed away peacefully at home".

Thames Valley Police said South Central Ambulance Service attended a property in Goring in Oxfordshire at 13:42 GMT.

Police say they were treating the death as unexplained but there were no suspicious circumstances.

In a statement, the star's publicist said: "It is with great sadness that we can confirm our beloved son, brother and friend George passed away peacefully at home over the Christmas period.

"The family would ask that their privacy be respected at this difficult and emotional time. There will be no further comment at this stage."

Treatment for pneumonia
Michael, who was born Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou in north London, sold more than 100m albums throughout a career spanning almost four decades.

He first found fame with his schoolfriend Andrew Ridgeley in duo Wham! before going on to release solo albums, including the multi-million selling Faith and follow-up Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1.

It outsold Faith in the UK but led to Michael losing a court case with record label Sony over his frustration over how the album has been marketed.

He scored seven number one singles in the UK with songs including Careless Whisper and Faith, and won three Brit Awards and two Grammys.

But as his career faded, Michael faced headlines for the wrong reasons.

In October 2006 he pleaded guilty to driving while unfit through drugs and was banned from driving and in 2008 he was cautioned for possession of class A drugs, including crack cocaine.

In September 2010 Michael received an eight-week prison sentence following an incident the previous July in which he crashed his Range Rover into a shop in north London.

Earlier this month it was announced that producer and songwriter Naughty Boy was working with Michael on a new album.

A documentary film entitled Freedom was also due for release next March.

In 2011, Michael postponed a series of concerts after being taken to hospital for treatment for pneumonia.

After treatment in a Vienna hospital, he made a tearful appearance outside his London home and said it had been "touch and go" whether he lived.

Doctors were said to have performed a tracheotomy to keep his airways open and he was unconscious for some of his spell in hospital.

After years of refusing to be drawn on speculation about his sexuality, Michael disclosed he was gay in 1998 after being was arrested in a public toilet in Beverly Hills, California, for engaging in a lewd act.

Ex-Wham! singer George Michael dies - BBC News

I posted this on my facebook page:

We managed to see him live last time he came to Toronto (his first stop since his last visit in 1991) in 2008 I think? I was sincerely hoping to see him again, as it was one of my favourite all time concerts I've ever been to.

A fantastically talented musician - he played a lot of the instruments on each of his albums, could cross genres effortlessly from dance/electronic, slow ballads, country flavoured pop songs, some amazingly innovative covers (his auto tune take of New Order's True Faith is haunting - his cover of Stevie Wonder's They Won't Go When I Go and You and I were beautiful) and had an incredible voice and stage presence.

RIP to one of the greats - you were always my favourite vocalist and every album you put out were always highly anticipated. You will be missed.
He also deserved a lot of respect for his very generous work with AIDS related charities, including 3 original songs from the jettisoned Listen Without Prejudice Vol 2 album that he never completed due to a contract dispute with Sony in 1991.

The man's vocal range was remarkable, his understanding of music and ability to make a wide variety of songs straddling a number of different genres constantly surprised me. His duets that he did with Mary J. Blige, Whitney Houston, Elton John, Ray Charles, Tony Bennett and others were always something special. I hope that his rumored demos with Daft Punk and the work he was doing recently with Naughty Boy (who recently worked with Drake) will get released, as well as the documentary that was recently completed about his life.

RIP - like I said, he will be truly missed. I'm going to be listening to a lot of his work for the next few days.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Yeah. a true Icon. Actually got *out-ed" by les infantiles whom actually do that sort of shit. Whatevs. Went on to be a true icon. Will be missed..

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
These pop stars should've done the rock and metal bands diet.. lots of drugs and alcohol , they're living into theirs 70's and 80's.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Given his struggle with drugs, especially over the last decade, I wouldn't be surprised if his death was caused by fentanyl misadventure. I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be surprised if that's what the autopsy says.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
RIP, he was a true icon of the gay community and surely empowered many to come out. Like all humans he was not without his flaws but like a select few he owned them. Although I haven't listened to him in years, many of his songs leave a lasting memory.

it is really amazing how many infuential people have crossed over this year, I hope they while they are gone, they are not forgotten

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders