1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Rioting in France

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by The Tesseract, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Lovely N Amazin

Lovely N Amazin TRIBE Member

Quelle supidity!!!!

2. deep

deep TRIBE Member

you guys gotta admit it was a pretty funny statement though

3. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

get it rei

4. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

I think there's a difference between identifying root causes of a conflict and identifying the causes of individual actions within that conflict.

You create segmentation (be it a ghetto, gulag or cultural discrimination), you create a conflict.

5. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

I guess there is no point in declaring martial law then.

6. dicksherwood

dicksherwood TRIBE Member

hahahaha, I forwarded this image to my friend from Paris who is now living in Toronto, here's her response:

Je les adores mes frères et soeurs francaise!

7. zorak

zorak TRIBE Member

i don't have to admit anything to you effing dingbats!

8. jeffpayne

jeffpayne TRIBE Member

crap! I was in France a couple of months ago! I hope I'm alright!

9. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

my dad still calls me a dingbat

10. deep

deep TRIBE Member

that was pretty funny too

Personally, I'm not sure I find any of what's happening surprising. Take a culture whose idea of itself tends to be very rooted in tradition and history, and their integration won't be as high as countries made up entirely of people who were immigrants at some point or another. Not to say countries like Canada couldn't have something like this happen, where marginalized people just let loose years worth of frustration. But I think there's a difference between people who at one point were colonized and put under the rule of another country, and those who came as willing immigrants to a place they wanted to be.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  11. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

deep - What do you make of les Quebecois? Are they not an example of a 'colonzied' group?

In Canada we have "latent" or "removed" racism. Its only subtly noticeable in Southern Ontario, but we have all encountered it. I live on Vancouver Island now and by in large, people are typically tolerant in the major urban centres. Most of the 'racial' violence occurs within ethnic groups and is very rarely a case of white-Canadians vs non-white Canadians. Everything changes when you leave the big cities and head into towns the size of Georgetown or Aurora. Many of these communities are in close proximity to First Nations reserves, which of course, are typically run down and whose residents are unemployed & marginalized. Racial tension, or whatever you want to call it, in such towns is a real concern for the chronically understaffed RCMP. Many people, both white & non-white, fear what could happen if violence flared due to some sort of well-publicized controversy. A lot of people are frustrated with the policy of appeasement brokered by the federal government to the leaders of the reserves for it has created, not solved, several problems, namely the increasing segregation of small town populations. What's happening in France could very well happen in Canada. We, like the French prior to Autumn 2005, just aren't paying attention.

12. The Tesseract

The Tesseract TRIBE Member

exactly.

"we've got a situation!"
    "call in the military"
    "there's mass rioting"
    "shit! call in the police instead!"

13. annec

annec TRIBE Member

...not if you have kids and breastfeed. :(

14. annec

annec TRIBE Member

mangez le gateau...

15. deep

deep TRIBE Member

I don't think it's the same, unless you want to elaborate differently. The French in Quebec did at some point come from France. Quebecois are not a group of people who were doing their own thing in North America, colonialized by France, then made to answer to them. The same cannot be said for Morroccans or other african countries france colonized at the height of imperialism.

Although I suppose a case could be made that people in Quebec are not seen as "real" frenchmen to those in France.

If you meant in the sense that Quebecers have to answer to the rest of Anglophone canada, I suppose that may be the case, but an entire province that can maintain it's own government, language, laws, culture, separatist movement, etc. seems a bit less marginalized than people who are shuffled off to ghettos and still treated as subjects to an empire rather than people on equal footing.

16. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

Quebec skipped the rioting and went straight to the FLmahfugginQ, dawg.

17. Ms. Fit

Ms. Fit TRIBE Member

yup, in a nutshell!

same thing about the guestworkers happened in germany...i wonder why there are no racial riots there (like turkish immigrants 'fighting back'...my guess is that big german nazi-wannabes are a lot scarier than the frenchies.

18. The Tesseract

omg!

i found the reason for the rioting in france!

click here!

19. scruffy1

scruffy1 TRIBE Member

for a second i was worried that was a tubgirl link...

20. The Tesseract

i'm insulted.
    i've never posted disgusting images/links.

21. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member