1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Rioting in France

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by The Tesseract, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega TRIBE Member

^ well said....and I was just trying to draw it out of you ;)

(I'm still working out my own thoughts on the topic by the way)

2. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

thanks, i needed that. :)

3. jus me

jus me TRIBE Member

I was in paris for Halloween weekend and I got wind of the incidents this past weekend in an e-mail. Needless to say I'm not I wasn't keeping up with news while I was travelling.

While I was there I didn't see anything.

But from my observations from being here and travelling in central Europe, I have to agree with Mingster's opinion on the segregated minority tip. It's not just the Middle Eastern people, also the Africans...It mostly has to do with difficulties intergrating with the country's society.

4. xsre

xsre TRIBE Member

I want to move to Toulouse

5. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

Why has it taken them so long to around to curfews?

They should have had curfews the second day.

6. Ms. Fit

Ms. Fit TRIBE Member

wow you have no clue. either that or you're a frog that votes le pen.

this is 30 years of disillusionment, frustration and anger exploding, and i could see it coming a mile away, especially spending the amount of time in france that i did.

there are two sides to every story of course, but the French did not do anything to prevent this from happening...if anything, they egged it on with their "testing" at night club doors, their culture of putting photos on resumes, their lax immigration laws, their band-aid solution of builidng crappy cheap apartments in the suburbs in the 1970s to house guestworkers who received no support in settling or returning to North Africa....

France was racist in everyway they could be without crossing the lines that the nazis did, and in my opinion, it wasn't out of hatred, for another ethnicity - it was out of the kind of apathy that only comes from a country that has no sense of where it's going culturally, and its place in this world. Basically, the country it's going through an identity crisis (hell, they even voted "no" to the E.U. Constitution-haha suckas) and are clinging to their noble past...so much so that they shun anyone who's not them (this means EVERYONE: sub-saharan africans, asians, maghrebians, jews and eastern europeans (but the last two blend in better so get less crap).

France can burn...they made their bed, they can lie in it.

That being said, my 15 months in France was the best time of my life (and I would move back there in a heartbeat if i could) :cool:

7. The Tesseract

The Tesseract TRIBE Member

what the fuck are you talking about? they've got wine, bread and cigarettes... that's enough culture right there!

on a related note...

French Military vict... errr Defeats

Gallic Wars
    - Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian.

- Hundred Years War
    - Mostly lost, saved at last by female schizophrenic who inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare; "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman." Sainted.

- Italian Wars
    - Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians.

- Wars of Religion
    - France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots

- Thirty Years War
    - France is technically not a participant, but manages to get invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her.

- War of Revolution
    - Tied. Frenchmen take to wearing red flowerpots as chapeaux.

- The Dutch War
    - Tied

- War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French and Indian War
    - Lost, but claimed as a tie. Three ties in a row induces deluded Frogophiles the world over to label the period as the height of French military power.

- War of the Spanish Succession
    - Lost. The War also gave the French their first taste of a Marlborough, which they have loved every since.

- American Revolution
    - In a move that will become quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far more action. This is later known as "de Gaulle Syndrome", and leads to the Second Rule of French Warfare; "France only wins when America does most of the fighting."

- French Revolution
    - Won, primarily due the fact that the opponent was also French.

- The Napoleonic Wars
    - Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First Rule!) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British footwear designer.

- The Franco-Prussian War
    - Lost. Germany first plays the role of drunk Frat boy to France's ugly girl home alone on a Saturday night.

- World War I
    - Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States. Thousands of French women find out what it's like to not only sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline.

- World War II
    - Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain just as they finish learning the Horst Wessel Song.

- War in Indochina
    - Lost. French forces plead sickness; take to bed with the Dien Bien Flu

- Algerian Rebellion
    - Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of Muslim Warfare; "We can always beat the French." This rule is identical to the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese and Esquimaux.

- War on Terrorism
    - France, keeping in mind its recent history, surrenders to Germans and Muslims just to be safe. Attempts to surrender to Vietnamese ambassador fail after he takes refuge in a McDonald's.

this needs to be added:

Riots of the Disillusioned -
    - Lost. Loss marks the continued bitch slapping by smaller ethnic groups that the French have been known to take lickings from. The riots are caused by rampant racism and second class citizenry of islamic youths, looking for work.
    They found it... torching cars is quite a bit of work, isn't it?
    It's okay though... most of them were Renault's and Peugeot's

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  8. Vincent Vega

Had you actually read my follow up, I was merely trying to engage mingster in a further discussion of her initial point. But thanks for your cogent critique......(us clueless frogs try to throw in the odd French word every now and then, you know....)....I'll take your comments most sincerely to heart.

Perhaps to further inflame you, you can answer me this:

Why is it that immigrant communities in Canada in the early part of this century (like say Italian or Portuguese immigrants) who came here with little to no education, had no prospects, were treated as 3rd class citizens at best, and couldn't speak the language........didn't resort to this sort of outburst to better document their plight? They certainly were alienated, I'm sure they were angry, yet no riots. What gives Ms. Fit?

9. alma

alma TRIBE Member

this just in .... weather forcast dans l'hex:

[​IMG]

10. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

there were race riots in canadian history.
    look up the christie pits riot. but to sum it up for ya: low income immigrant communities kicking the shit out of each other for hours on end in christie pits park.

11. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I think you're trolling a bit here, homeslice.

As Liz has pointed out, there are documented cases of racial unrest here in Canada, Christie Pits is a good example as is the unrest that occured in tandem with the LA riots in the early 90's. Nothing even close to what we're seeing in France now though, but that has a lot to do with the sense of ethnic nationalism that France has cultivated for over a thousand years, and quite frankly a bunch of black muslims banished to the suburbs don't really fit into that schema. Here in Canadia we've tried to construct our national indentity as one heavily grouned in mulitculturalism. While in practice it may not be beautifully funcitoning mosaic that we'd like, it has shown some great moments of success.

12. alma

alma TRIBE Member

neet freek!

i've come to manyt a happy ending over the material in that room

13. Ms. Fit

Ms. Fit TRIBE Member

you're not inflaming me...whatever that means!

i guess the reason they didnt resort to riots is cuz italians and portoguese are pretty much white. for the most part. i mean, as soon as the visible minorities started coming over, a lot of the heat was taken off of them.

i like to compare this sort of situation to the interment (can't spell) camps they had here in canada during WWII...they had camps for the germans immigrants as well as the japanese, but it's kinda hard to pick on the german-canadians when they blend in with the white anglo majority, no? good example: my cousin's boyfriend is of german heritage but his last name sounds french because his grandparents changed it when the war came out. And just like that, no camp and no discrimination for them!

In conclusion: being a white immigrant in a white country and a non-white immigrant (or minority) in a white country are two very very different experiences.

good nite.

14. Ms. Fit

Ms. Fit TRIBE Member

OMG!

I'm forwarding this to my french ex-boyfriend. Yes, I am evil.

OH, and Spinsah, please do not confuse blacks and muslims. I know everyone is used to black people being at the brunt of social unrest in the western world, but "black muslims living in the suburbs" is incorrect. The majority of muslims there, are, well. Arabic. They are not black at all! the "black muslim" population over there is pretty small.

15. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Ahem,

Not to interrupt your flag waving ceremony but you mispelt a key word.

Carry on...:p

As for the riots I wish we as Canadians had more balls and stood up for ourselves instead of constantly taking it in Da bum.

16. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

It was an intentional misspelling.

Now, onto this:

[​IMG]

17. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

Quelle suprise!! All the over-educated university kids are laying sole blame on the French's failure to hug and kiss everyone equally.

18. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Instead of burning cars, they should of just gone to school at the Sorbonne. Problem le solved!

19. Vincent Vega

You didn't just say that!!!!!!

(and stop blowing my cover Spence;) )

20. Muad'ib

Muad'ib Well-Known TRIBEr

i have only myself to blame for the rioting in france.

21. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

what the shit?

i'm a retarded!

;)

22. zorak

zorak TRIBE Member

just out of curiousity, what do you think the problem is?

23. deep

deep TRIBE Member

lol

24. lok

lok TRIBE Member

<3

25. zorak

zorak TRIBE Member

meh
    i don't think you have to be an over-educated university student to recognize that this rioting may be linked with france's recruitment of temporary foreign workers to meet the needs of the industrial boom after WWI and again in the 1960s. shit ain't booming anymore and these people are marginalized like woah.