1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Rioting in France

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by The Tesseract, Nov 8, 2005.

1. The Tesseract

The Tesseract TRIBE Member

Okay, i understand that it's "disillusioned arab youth" that are causing the riots...
    but has any specific reason come out as to why they started rioting a few days ago?

2. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

try the politics forum

3. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

it started 12 days ago when 2 youths, who thought they were being chased by cops, hid in a power station and died after being electrocuted.

4. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

5. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

but but but... what did the cars do to anyone?

6. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

where anything newsworthy, political or not, goes so that the general forum may remain innane.

7. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

DOWN WITH THE POLITICS FORUM!!

8. Muad'ib

Muad'ib Well-Known TRIBEr

down with pants!

9. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

up with boobies!

10. Littlest Hobo

Littlest Hobo TRIBE Member

Down with homework, up with miniskirts!

11. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

AMEN!

12. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

you think you're so special, don'tcha... with your precious.. ug... OPINIONS!

13. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

[i agree with the politics forum being destroyed]

nobody ever wanted it, it's only purpose was to keep all the WAR threads from clogging up the general forum

14. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

15. Taylor

Taylor TRIBE Member

What about Toronto's ghetto's ?

I am just waiting for Jane & Finch, Choc Farm, Flemington, Lawrence Heights, Rexdale, Regent Park and Malvern to go up in flames.

Not to mention Eglington & Markham.

Fuck, I went by Jane & Finch on the TTC 3 years ago, and it was motherfucking heavy-duty man. Mind you, it is no Detroit or North Philladelphia. :eek:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  16. dicksherwood

dicksherwood TRIBE Member

Re: What about Toronto's ghetto's ?

what about all those poor Toronto guys who can't get laid cuz girls be so cold? Talk about pent up anger

17. Taylor

Taylor TRIBE Member

If we ever meet, why don't you say this shit.

18. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

oh lordy

19. Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega TRIBE Member

Re: What about Toronto's ghetto's ?

Did you just cut and paste your post from a couple of days ago???

20. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

i don't get it at all... we're upset so we're going to destroy the neiborhood we live in... makes sense to me

21. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

"restoring the peace" isn't going to solve the problem either.

it's not that i like seeing a city being destroyed by riots and fire, but i guess i'm hoping it will begin to bring some attention to this plight. however, it's likely that police forces will attempt to get the situation under control, punish the perpetrators and forget about the cause.

22. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

let them eat cake!

23. Kung Po Beef

Kung Po Beef TRIBE Member

I actually feel for the police in situations like this. They don't make the laws, they enforce them....while getting pelted with shit...like bullets.

24. Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega TRIBE Member

Which plight is that exactly?

And.....to your closing: the police's job IS to get the situation under control and possbly punish the perpetrators. It is not their job to bring attention to any plight or address any cause.

(I'm sorry but I get a tad cynical when I see almost two weeks of violence and destruction seemingly for its own sake being accepted as part of a greater "plight." I understand the anger in the immediate aftermath, although even that was based on speculation. After a couple of days of that, however, one has to begin questioning the motives. Is it still noble at this point....or is it merely wanton violence for the hell of it?)

25. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

the incident with the death of those two young men seems to have sparked just one match in a big bonfire of anger among young muslim men in paris/france.

i'm not all that well read on the topic, but my understanding is that the country's religious and political practices and policies have made it very difficult for this minority group to integrate into society. causing high levels of apathy, unemployment, poverty, segregation and now anarchy. and that is the greater plight i'm referring to.

you're right about the police. but i fear that once the situation is "under control", the greater issue will not be addressed. there is alot of anger there. and it's manifesting itself in these riots. maybe someone should look into that.