• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Lojack

TRIBE Member
CBC will be streaming it. They've done an excellent job in the past. For those in EST/EDT, Rio is an hour ahead. I expect to a lot of office workers will be streaming it to their desks and eating up company bandwidth. If you want an excuse to upgrade, that's a good one.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
The aftermath of this is going to be ridiculous. Can't help but wonder if they're going to go through what Greece went through economically with all the infrastructure they're pouring into it, and with questionable means of paying for it.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
The aftermath of this is going to be ridiculous. Can't help but wonder if they're going to go through what Greece went through economically with all the infrastructure they're pouring into it, and with questionable means of paying for it.
Did you also forget they just held the fifa world cup? Ha!
Double whammy. It's not surprising half their politicians are now under investigation or out right being charged

Can't wait til we host the expo. The scam am games were such a treat!

Lojack

TRIBE Member
So I work in ISP networks (I say telecom to avoid people asking me to fix their computers). Anyway, there are these things called Internet Exchanges (hit Wikipedia) that ISP's/content providers/enterprise use to connect to each other at and reduce bandwidth costs & have lower latency's. Once the Rio games and World Cup were announced, the number of locations in Brazil that had IX'es skyrocketed...

What's the point you ask? In IX'es, big specialized chassis switches are used, most often because the price-per-port is cheap (think $500/per 10G port). The (now biggest) Brazilian IX, IX.br, started buying big specialized *routers* for their expansion.. specifically Cisco ASR9000 series, where the price per 10G port is more like $5000, ten times the price. They bought lots of them.

Read into that what you will.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
So the Olympics start this weekend. These are going to be the worst olympics of all time. I love the Olympics but I'm not feeling these Olympic games at all. I feel like its going to be a 2 week slow motion train wreck.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
I'm still looking forward to the Olympics. I wonder how much of the behind-the-scenes shit-show will be evident to those just watching the events on NBC/CBC?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
My lady is from Sao Paulo, her mom was here visiting, and is heading back today.

Most Brazilians, regardless of their economic status in Brazil think that the World Cup and now the 2016 Summer Olympics has truly showed how poorly state and federal funding has been mismanaged, abused, and we are seeing the fallout, but its actually much worse there right now than is reported or we are really aware of.

In a word, its a goddamn ' CLUSTERFUCK ', the state is so far in debt to the civil workers, police, and infrastructure, athletes and civilians have far more to worry about than just the local criminal element.

85000 - 100 000 strong police force that is now basically extorting money from anyone they can, athletes, criminals, civilians that fuck up, can be abducted, forced to hand over cash, or go to a bank machine and take it out, valuables etc. They can do this and have been with impunity, and trying to get anything back is useless, and if you try, you are threatened and made to feel even more unsafe than before.

They are doing away with bus lines and infrastructure that has made it harder for civilians to get to work due to not wanting ' poor ' people on those transit lines being utilized by the visitors more affluent citizens, causing these people to travel into more unsafe areas, and doubling commute times or even doing away with the ability to easily get to work at all.

The criminal population that resides largely in favelas is something you have to be constantly aware of as they travel to the ' nicer ' parts of the city to find their prey. Its to the point where even using a phone in public is ill advised as you are targeted if you look like you even have a bit of money or anything on you.

And all of that that is crazy to us, has not become the norm so much as it just keeps escalating with no real end in site.

Most Brazilians hate the government , are fearful of the police forces in Rio more than usual, and are still trying to financially come out of where the world cup left them, let alone with the Olympics.

I wanted to see Rio the next time i was there, i think i am going to wait a year or two before we go to Rio, and stick to the less fucked areas in Brazil.

I dont understand how FIFA and the Olympic commitee's dont see what is wrong with the countries they are awarding the games and cup to.

just fucking ridiculous.

Last edited:

silver1

TRIBE Member
I think from a viewers perspective, we won't "notice" much shit watching the actual events.

Social media on the other hand I'm sure is gonna post a shit ton of craziness.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
My lady is from Sao Paulo, her mom was here visiting, and is heading back today.

Most Brazilians, regardless of their economic status in Brazil think that the World Cup and now the 2016 Summer Olympics has truly showed how poorly state and federal funding has been mismanaged, abused, and we are seeing the fallout, but its actually much worse there right now than is reported or we are really aware of.

In a word, its a goddamn ' CLUSTERFUCK ', the state is so far in debt to the civil workers, police, and infrastructure, athletes and civilians have far more to worry about than just the local criminal element.

85000 - 100 000 strong police force that is now basically extorting money from anyone they can, athletes, criminals, civilians that fuck up, can be abducted, forced to hand over cash, or go to a bank machine and take it out, valuables etc. They can do this and have been with impunity, and trying to get anything back is useless, and if you try, you are threatened and made to feel even more unsafe than before.

They are doing away with bus lines and infrastructure that has made it harder for civilians to get to work due to not wanting ' poor ' people on those transit lines being utilized by the visitors more affluent citizens, causing these people to travel into more unsafe areas, and doubling commute times or even doing away with the ability to easily get to work at all.

The criminal population that resides largely in favelas is something you have to be constantly aware of as they travel to the ' nicer ' parts of the city to find their prey. Its to the point where even using a phone in public is ill advised as you are targeted if you look like you even have a bit of money or anything on you.

And all of that that is crazy to us, has not become the norm so much as it just keeps escalating with no real end in site.

Most Brazilians hate the government , are fearful of the police forces in Rio more than usual, and are still trying to financially come out of where the world cup left them, let alone with the Olympics.

I wanted to see Rio the next time i was there, i think i am going to wait a year or two before we go to Rio, and stick to the less fucked areas in Brazil.

I dont understand how FIFA and the Olympic commitee's dont see what is wrong with the countries they are awarding the games and cup to.

just fucking ridiculous.
dont be so naive
they know exactly what damage they leave in their wake they just dont care
watch the john oliver bit on fifa before the rio tourney.
half the upper echelon of fifa just got busted, same thing needs to happen to the ioc

just look at the pan ams, 304 mil over budget yet the top ppl got paid in full for just sticking around. all these massive events are all the same, a pig out at the trough

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
dont be so naive
they know exactly what damage they leave in their wake they just dont care
watch the john oliver bit on fifa before the rio tourney.
half the upper echelon of fifa just got busted, same thing needs to happen to the ioc

just look at the pan ams, 304 mil over budget yet the top ppl got paid in full for just sticking around. all these massive events are all the same, a pig out at the trough
sorry, i should have stated that better.

I dont see how it has taken this long for awareness to spread and for a desire for FIFA and the IOC to be held accountable for their actions?

Two organizations that make ridiculous amounts of money, leave countries in debt, with infrastructure that will in most cases not be used again, completely fuck over the more unfortunate demographics. Lately it seems more often than not, desirable host countries are stating flat out, no we dont want you here, so its being awarded to the largest cunts on the planet.

Fuck em bof

praktik

TRIBE Member
IS the world cup always a loser?

Get the feeling some countries make use of the football stadia pretty well, though I hear football-crazy Brazil has somehow found a way to NOT use a bunch of the ones they built for the cup.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Oympics need to find a permanent home. It's just not working moving them to a new host every 4 years. And at least with Summer there is no value added to the actual events in being in a different place everytime.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
IS the world cup always a loser?

Get the feeling some countries make use of the football stadia pretty well, though I hear football-crazy Brazil has somehow found a way to NOT use a bunch of the ones they built for the cup.
fifa and the ioc never lose

ALL host countries always lose

there is a 4 billion dollar stadium used for the brazil fifa event that now houses disused buses

watch the video of john oliver about fifa
the next two hosts are qatar and russia, both stellar in human rights and such.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Doesn't Fifa take all the TV money as well as ticket revenue? Not sure if that is right but I think I heard that. And then what does the host even get from that?

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
outdoor Water event participants have been told to try not putting your head under water.

also, Rio officials deny evicting and displacing thousands of people. haha

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders