1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

ride share to montreal

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by rounder, Apr 19, 2010.

1. rounder

rounder TRIBE Member

lots and lots of ads on craigslist for ride shares to montreal and back

anyone ever gone this route and if so care to give a review of the service you used?

thanks

2. recoil

recoil TRIBE Member

yeah I have. I moved out to MTL in 2007, so I've used em a bunch of times to travel between Montreal and Toronto. I never used them in the past, but I highly recommend em now.. they've come in really handy when I urgently needed to get back and forth, so I don't mind relating which ones are good and bad

They're much much better, cheaper and faster than the bus or train. I used Greyhound as a last resort to get back to Toronto recently, and it was a fucking nightmare... cost 70 bucks for a 9 1/2 hour overnight milk run with a lot of sketchy riff raff

and - I got my luggage thoroughly searched *twice* - once in Montreal by a bunch of mean-looking rent-a-cops, and then again in Ottawa when we switched buses. the second time they even used a metal detector wand and asked to look inside my cigarette pack :confused:

point being, never again. fuck Greyhound! If I'd booked a ridehsare instead, it would have only taken 5 hours in a comfy car ride for half that price.

the ones you should steer clear of, are these big van services that make daily trips. I dont know the name of their service, cuz they try to keep it on the down-low.. but if the person who answers the phone has a strong Indian accent, it's probably them. they'll do in a pinch, but they like to squeeze as many as 12 people in the van per trip. and they aren't shy about making everyone wait in the van for an hour, until one or two more people finally show. *very* unprofessional. avoid.

but aside from those douchebags, I've had nothing but good experiences using rideshares. The key is just getting normal friendly people who just want to carpool to have some company, get some help with the gas money, etc

the last time I used one in January, it turned out the guy was a pilot for the United Nations living in Quebec.. he picked me up at Union Station in this big-ass luxury SUV, and I was his only passenger.. the guy was mad cool - he had lots of crazy stories about flying in Afghanistan. It was a super comfortable ride, we were able to smoke in the car (major bonus right there!), and he was really interested in electronic music, so he got me to play my DJ sets on the system =), and then dropped me off right by my place.

and for only 40 bucks! that sure as hell beats sitting on a crowded bus next to some stranger

so ya. if you don't have a car, I'd say rideshares are the most convenient way to get to and from MTL. and you usually meet pretty chill people as well

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  3. krosum

krosum TRIBE Member

Via Rail has 60% of until the end of the week (25th). So it will cost around $50 to get to Montreal. No hassle, drink cart, wireless internet, off the highways with no traffic. I think I made it in 4.5 hrs once.

Something to think about.