1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Richie's New Album

Discussion in 'Techno Room' started by ian, Aug 30, 2003.

1. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I think there was a bit of a conversation about this but I can't find it now.

I'm only one track in, but it is scaring the pants of me :D

Never heard vocals used like this is Plastikman before.

Looking forward to the rest and I'll post a full review shortly.

-ian g.

2. ian

ian TRIBE Member

By the way, it is called "Closer"

-ian g.

3. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

Ooooh, I want to hear this!

4. ian

ian TRIBE Member

album cover

[​IMG]

5. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I am digging this. It is *so* plastikman but darker then before. Some of the tracks are frikin' brilliant. One or two are sorta filler, but may grow on me. Lots of use of what appears to be Richie's vocals run through tons of effects and distortion.

I wish I had the track listing so I could tell you what is on right now, an awsome swingy shuffling track with a fantastic acid line and a break beat and some growling nonsense every now and then. This track is more full then most of Plastikman's stuff.

Not meant for the dancefloor, except in your mind.

-ian g.

6. isoprax

isoprax TRIBE Promoter

I've dug everything he's done except this album (and the two mix cds he's done recently). I listened to it several times trying to give it a chance and I ended up not liking a single track on it.

For me, nothing stood out. It actually irritated me for some reason. The longer I listened to it the more I knew I would never buy it. I even ended up deleting the whole thing.

I'm patient though. I'm sure his next project will be something I may enjoy but as for this one...it just aint my cup of tea.

7. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

I'm on pretty much the same page as isoprax; downloaded it, listened to it five or six times, just to give it a fair shake. I "liked" four or five of the tracks, like the last five, but in hindsight I only liked the as much as I did in contrast to the rest of the tracks on the album which I really disliked a lot. I found myself wondering "why would he release this?" numerous times.

Deleted.

8. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

Yeah, so far I'm with isoprax. I've listened to it three or four times. It's okay, but I found the vox to be a little bit on the cheesy side. It's got a couple of tunes that I'd listen to, but I don't think it hangs together as well as 'Musik' or 'Consumed' (and, yes Oddmyth, it doesn't come anywhere near 'Sheet One' ;)).

I'll give it another couple of listens before canning it completely, but I doubt I'll be rushing out to the store in October to pick it up the first day it's released.

#include <disclaimer.h>

9. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

whoa, freaky... :eek:

10. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

11. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Points taken. Oddly enough, I am prefering this over most of Richie's previous Plastikman stuff, except for perhaps Musik and Sheet1. . .

Overall, I'm not a huge Plastikman fan to be honest, although I have a lot of respect for what he does. I would call myself a mild fan ;) Traditionally, I've been a bigger fan of Rich's DJing.

-ian g.

12. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Yeah I've really only taken to a few Plastikman tracks, mainly because I find that his original stuff is *boring* to me. My mind wanders when I listen to it, and I don't think a good track is supposed to do that for you. hypokondriak, spastik, and helikoptor keep my attention for the length of the track because they're so interesting. Honestly though not many tracks able to do that, maybe a few classical compositions.

13. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

im vice versa on that one...his DJing in the last 3-4 years has been mainly THUMP THUMP THUMP...his production is always stellar and the introduction to final scratch in closer to the edit was brilliant IMO,but it's his plastikman shit that really makes me see who richie really is, there's a lot feeling in his work:)

14. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

i really need to hear this!!!

15. isoprax

isoprax TRIBE Promoter

^^ yeah i used to enjoy his dj'ing...used to. the first night that i started not enjoying him as much as I used to was that top floor of the masonic temple jam. good night because all my friends were there, but musically I found him dragging.

16. terrawrist III

his last tonic gig was a serious downer for me personally and really made me scrutinize his djing from that point on...very hard,basic 4/4 shit,rocked the fuck outta the crowd but it was far from a best effort...he had champaigne glasses in his hand more times than the records!:(

17. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

who else loved his minimal twisted set at turbo?

terrawrist, your box is full. :)

18. terrawrist III

aiiiiiiight, all clear:)

19. sweetdaddy

sweetdaddy TRIBE Member

just got it...will listen to it today and review it later.

i like dark and I like richie's work (new and old) so i'm sure i will enjoi this.

20. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Agreed on Rich's DJing over the past few years. . . he lost me when he started to go jackhammer. That said, I've heard the "old Rich" a few times lately at least at certain points in his sets which is very promising (one example was at Turbo last time, near the end of his set).

-ian g.

21. poker face

poker face TRIBE Member

Also Richie has become really sloppy on the decks.

Sad but true.

22. ladd

ladd TRIBE Member

having listened to the whole album, i have to say i like it, and i think its going to grow on me even more. some tracks really stick out, others dont, but as a whole i'm digging it.

i saw richie at the mutek festival this year, and he was definitly the opposite of what he's been playing in toronto the last couple of years. kind of a bit of everything, but allways kept it deep and trippy, and not allways danceable, mxing all over the place, i think he was on two tables, a labtop, and using final scratch and efx.

i think if he played that way in toronto, people wouldnt except it cause it wasnt all dancefloor friendly, so maybe he's just pleasing the toronto crowds...

23. why not

why not TRIBE Member

is this actually out, or are you all listening to a bootleg?

24. ian

ian TRIBE Member

^^^

Wthout actually answering the question, I think it is safe to say it is not out yet :D

-ian g.

25. sweetdaddy

sweetdaddy TRIBE Member

richie is a good shit.

i like when he dj's "deep & trippy".. i also like when he's all electroish dance machine man.

I like de9, de9ctte & third season.

I like what he did with pete namlook.

I have to say, his least impressive outing was the plastikman release Sheet one. kinda boring. still some good shit on it though.

dude's a great techno artist and dj, and he's definitly far more relaxed in what he's willing to do lately.
    I like the lack of pretentiousness in his last few years of work.
    keeping it fun.