• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Richie Hawtin: DE9 2005

zoo

TRIBE Member
for anyone that cares: DE9 "Transition" is travelling the MP3 community right now; appeared on OINK a few minutes ago.

zoo

TRIBE Member
skipped through it; minimal * 100

i'll give it a proper listen later, right now i just woke up and don't feel like going back to sleep :)

keld

TRIBE Member
"there certainly wouldnt be no fuckin ass richie hawtin". who said that truth? some detroit dj in this documentary on the creation of techno music.

beta tester

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by keld
"there certainly wouldnt be no fuckin ass richie hawtin". who said that truth? some detroit dj in this documentary on the creation of techno music.
I think that was Eddie Fowlkes, aka "The Whiniest DJ In Techno". He's always complaining about something (mostly the the "Belleville Three" should have been a four, and that he never gets the recognition he deserves).

derek

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by eLeKTRon
I sooo wish I had seen Hawtin in the middle of that cornfield outside of Leamington on the night of August 19, 1993.

I heard that people saw God at 6:00 am.
was a good party. <tear>

i connected with braham

zoo

TRIBE Member
two listens last night

i like it, it's warm and small, and that's it really

a very technically well executed understated mix

one thing i'm sort of dissapointed by is the fans of hawtin ... this mix isn't anything ground breaking, and i've heard similar (or even better) by many relatively unknown djs

and throwing that villalobos track in?

it's a great track and sure was overshadowed by easy lee, but c'mon, it's so obvious it hurts!

anyway, i did enjoy the cd overall, but this one isn't going to get alot of airplay as it's just not any more special than any given number of mixes constantly being put out by so many other locals / unknowns.

blipblurpbleep

TRIBE Member
no, but i bet it'll blow you away!

5.1 has never been done before, ever!

though the 5.1 mix is 20 min longer....

as for the mix...i liked it, but i'm definitely not impressed. anyone could have done this, and at times i thought there were too many loops layered that didn't necessarily fit that well together. maybe it's just because i'm just familiar with a lot of the material he used.
however, there were some sections that i really enjoyed.

and, for some reason, i want to check out the dvd in hopes that there's something outstanding that the mp3 mix is missing.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
From what I read though, isnt there 3 versions of it?

MP3 mix
CD mix
DVD mix

?

anywho, listented to the CD lastnight. At first, I just jumped though songs while it was downloading and was a bit worried that it was going to be 'boring', but then it finished downloading, and listented to it from start to finish - and all in all, I rather liked it. I think I enjoyed Closer to the Edit more. This CD is more listening/trippy techno then 'get up and shake yo ass' techno.

For what it is, its quite good IMO. I like.

vodka_soda

TRIBE Member
buy this now

I picked this up at hmv (!) in montreal yesterday. I was hooked on first listen on the way home and left stunned by the culmination in track 21. I'm giving the 5.1 a first listen right now off the dvd. this version lists the artists and text of the tracks he's using. on screen the text fades in and out in real time and it's an awesome feature. the layering and elements he selects are so intricate, sometimes from 7 tracks at once. lots of good unreleased music, my favourite artists' newer/newest releases and threads from many classic tracks (or tracks that deserved to be.) the bonus elements make it a very worthwhile purchase.

PS Hawtin's set in Montreal on Saturday night was hands down the best set I've heard from him since 1995 both technically and with track selection. There was so much movement in the set (and dare I say emotion?) it was apparently completely different from the guv set I skipped. the floor was captivated until the end of the night with dancing bodies that respected your personal space. I went to hear Marc Houle, but got floored by Hawtin.

Anyway, I think this release is brilliant, and I validate my own opinion :p

eLeKTRon

TRIBE Member
Re: buy this now

Originally posted by vodka_soda
PS Hawtin's set in Montreal on Saturday night was hands down the best set I've heard from him since 1995 both technically and with track selection. There was so much movement in the set (and dare I say emotion?) it was apparently completely different from the guv set I skipped. the floor was captivated until the end of the night with dancing bodies that respected your personal space. I went to hear Marc Houle, but got floored by Hawtin.
What you heard about his set at the Guv is simply not true. It was brilliant. Hawtin's amazing sense of rhythm shone through brightly to my delight because it is that sense of rhythm that makes Hawtin particularly special. The set had great dynamic range and depth and was executed with perfection. It was complex for sure, but had what I would call "organic funk" embedded into every bar. It was very danceable from start to finish as evidenced by the substantial number (but certainly not all) of the people dancing up a storm.

I think a lot of the crowd didn't "get" it. Many called it "boring". Perhaps they are just not listening hard enough or maybe they can't comprehend complex rhythmic structures. I also think the crowd is used to getting a shit-pounding from hard DJs and when something else gets served up, it gets a 'wtf' response. Its too bad really but whatever.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker
Sarah, your link is totally bustificated. :(
hmm, I wonder if alex has something that filters the mega upload part of the link that comes before the .com part ;)

like g oa t see ?

in any case there is a whole thread in the techno links section of the livesets.com forums

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: buy this now

I think a lot of the crowd didn't "get" it. Many called it "boring". Perhaps they are just not listening hard enough or maybe they can't comprehend complex rhythmic structures. I also think the crowd is used to getting a shit-pounding from hard DJs and when something else gets served up, it gets a 'wtf' response. Its too bad really but whatever.
I was listening hard enough...because there was nothing else to do.
I just didn't think it was suited to the night or the venue. I thought the first half was almost downtempo, all things considered.

I didn't mind the set - the second half was great - but the first half was just not suited to the venue.

vodka_soda

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: buy this now

What you heard about his set at the Guv is simply not true. It was brilliant. Hawtin's amazing sense of rhythm shone through brightly to my delight because it is that sense of rhythm that makes Hawtin particularly special.
Now I wish I went. I think you hit it with what you wrote. He's gotten so refined with conveying what he's able to do, how he hears, his precision in sculpting sound, etc. I guess I should clarify that I've heard him more frequently than any other dj in lots of different environments that made certain sets among my favourites in the last 10 years (and made me dislike other sets, too, unfortunately, ie Kabin this summer destroying the glow I had about him coming off of Detroit only days before.) Unimpeded and with the right setup, and the right crowd, etc, it definitely enhances the overall experience for both artist and audience. Musically the Montreal set was as close to perfection as I've heard from him.

I just watched/listened to the bonus set from Timewarp included on the DVD and it's pretty representative of Montreal, and for years it was my minimum expectation of him. Now I feel fortunate to have been able to have caught a set that lived up to it after so long.

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
hmm, I wonder if alex has something that filters the mega upload part of the link that comes before the .com part ;)

like g oa t see ?

in any case there is a whole thread in the techno links section of the livesets.com forums
a ha! i see your game. i thought it was one of those links that i'd click, and you'd send it ;)

cheers big ears! :D

grit

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: buy this now

Originally posted by Skipper
II just didn't think it was suited to the night or the venue. I thought the first half was almost downtempo, all things considered.

well hopefully ritchie has enough musical integrity to not necessarrily play exactly what the guv crowd wanted. cause that would've been a not- very good night of music.
how about educating them a little bit? those are the dj's I respect most. - the guys that play what they love basically every time.
would you have been happier if he played hard, progressive stuff like 'most' of the crowd was probably craving?
respect to him for keepin it rythmically advanced and deep.
FUCK THE MASSES.

eLeKTRon

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vodka_soda
I just watched/listened to the bonus set from Timewarp included on the DVD and it's pretty representative of Montreal, and for years it was my minimum expectation of him. Now I feel fortunate to have been able to have caught a set that lived up to it after so long.
Good on ya for catching a stellar Hawtin moment. Truly he is a gifted musician.

On saturday, I toyed with the idea of just jumping in my car and driving down to MTL, but the rational side of my brain said "no". Now I'm kicking myself for not doing it. :(

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: buy this now

Originally posted by grit
well hopefully ritchie has enough musical integrity to not necessarrily play exactly what the guv crowd wanted. cause that would've been a not- very good night of music.
how about educating them a little bit? those are the dj's I respect most. - the guys that play what they love basically every time.
would you have been happier if he played hard, progressive stuff like 'most' of the crowd was probably craving?
respect to him for keepin it rythmically advanced and deep.
FUCK THE MASSES.
The guv crowd took WAY longer getting "started" on this particular night than any night I've ever been there. People were standing in the middle of the dancefloor, chatting, at 2am! I overheard people commenting like "when is he going to pick it up" and so on.

Even a world class DJ like Richie still needs to find a happy medium between what is suited to the night and the crowd and his own style. Richie has every single variation of techno on that laptop that all represent him equally. Pick one that works.

Carl was the star of that night because he is clearly a PEOPLE'S DJ. Richie, nowadays, seems to be there for himself mostly.