• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Rhythm and sound

rentboy

TRIBE Member
good times.

pure dub bizness had me bobbin and duckin n divin.

bit disappointed that they didn't really take a more techno-ish route (they were dropping some Basic Channel type when i walked in).

still, it was quality...heavy basslines...dub reggae toasting the speakers.

thanks to Airbag for the pre-party get together...shame most of my entourage bounced early.

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
i really wanted to check this out, but was having a pretty busy weekend...too bad it was on a sunday night...

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
I hear ya - i planned on going - but only made it to one event last night and that was enough for a sunday night.

Upset that i did not go last night - oh well

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ladd

TRIBE Member
umm, i was a bit dissapointed with last night. the music was great, what i expected to hear from them, however i thought it was going to be live...
either i wasn't paying enough attention to the promoting, or it wasn't stated at all.

blipblurpbleep

TRIBE Member
yeah, i was very dissappointed.

20 bucks was a little much for that. the records kicked ass mind you, but i wouldn't have went had i known it was a dj set.

grit

TRIBE Member
...so close to going and calling in sick today. - sounds like a good thing I didn't.

don't get me wrong, roots reggae is probably my favorite style of music these days, but on a sunday night, in a big club, when everyone wants abstract techno, and dance?? >>> NO.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
well I got taken out to this and i dont like techno but fortunately there wasnt any!! :p
was liking the reggae ok but it was way too slow and boring for my taste.

twitch

TRIBE Member
I was supposed to go.. but in the end had work to do.

Nick (Satori) where's your review?

I think alot of people went there expecting to hear something specific. Ya gotta be a little open minded, no?

afterglow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dirty Girl
well I got taken out to this and i dont like techno but fortunately there wasnt any!! :p
was liking the reggae ok but it was way too slow and boring for my taste.
You were there?

I had no idea!

satori

TRIBE Member
I had a good time, i was hoping for some techno too but enjoyed what they threw down. This may be the first and last time we will ever see these folks step foot in North America, so i will wait untill 2006 when i'm in germany for the world cup to check them out again. I'm sure they will kick it techno styles for the masses. Music wise they played some really cool dub tunes, straight from the secret vaults. Some of the tunes had interesting lyrics "smoke the weed dont smoke the seed" hahaha classic... the horn added a nice touch in transition from track to track because dub is next to impossible to mix... Hani did an excellent job opeining!!!

Props to those involved in bringing rythym and sound here, i know it was quite the feat!!!

Last edited:

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
I believe the billing was "Rhythm and Sound"

not Maurizio

I loved the dub, but I can see why others (my friends and everyone above) were disappointed.

Instead of playing their genre defining techno, they mixnblended (with efx between every drop) what they have been releasing for the past few years -- DUB and Roots Reggae!!! (boy, couldn't see that one coming)

Beeeeautiful dub. Heavy stepper tracks. Some of their own cuts. Some live toastin
(I think he may have been local - Rootical Vibes??)

..but no M4.5, M5, M6, M7 records ;) sorry gang :p

Hani warmed it up like Kris, with some deep minimal techno (loved it just as much as the headliners!)

Didn't stay for Lazors set. Mark and Moritz were steel steady rankin. ;) We left at 2:00 because I'm a worker drone programmed for 07:00am.

Wish it was a less PC club...(bouncers? wtf?!?)

Destro

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
BASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SO beautiful to see the place finally get moving to the dubby sounds...just before 12 I could hear a zillion and one conversations over the music which I thought was going to ruin the night( never been to mod club so I assumed right away the place would be rammed with pretentious hipster wankers)...I thought $15+ would have gotten me a little more than the duo just putting on records...I could have done that at home except it DID sound great!!!...love hearing those tracks in a live setting!

left early to get up early but all in all it was an OK night.

thanks to the crew for the company and the laughs

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Destro Sanchez
Instead of playing their genre defining techno, they mixnblended (with efx between every drop) what they have been releasing for the past few years -- DUB and Roots Reggae!!! (boy, couldn't see that one coming)
lol

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
the big piss off: hearing that this was one of only 3 north american dates!...the other 2 were in the NY and featured a few of the wacky dub artists performing live!...once again we get the shaft:(

all this does is make me wish I went to the scion/tiki gig

Time

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by terrawrist III
all this does is make me wish I went to the scion/tiki gig
you guys would've loved when Mettle brought the Basic Channel crew into Weave back in the late 90's. that's when they were still playing their techno stuff. don't remember what year exactly though. or catching the live performance at DEMF in 2000!! i missed the Mettle gig because i had to work super early the next day - i should've just bit the bullett and gone straight to work - doh!
...but i did catch the DEMF performance - plus scion/tikiman in Toronto, and another Detroit performance so, i've had my fill... for now! :)

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Time
you guys would've loved when Mettle brought the Basic Channel crew into Weave back in the late 90's. that's when they were still playing their techno stuff. don't remember what year exactly though.
98?

'Twas a good night.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
twas but it wasn't the Basic Channel guys, it was the Chain Reaction crew IIRC.

I loved that night, they played without monitors, and the whole club was shaking with bass.

Caught Mark playing dubs with Tikiman at DEMF, the way dub should be heard; under the blazing sun with some cold beers and good friends. Saw Scion w/ Tiki show too, but nothing will top the DEMF showing for me.

Anyone been following the Bullwackies catalog? Damn they've put out some awesome stuff. My fav thus far is the Junior Delahey LP. His voice is almost as sweet as Gregory Isaacs, and lyrically almost as emotive.

musork

TRIBE Member
just going to drop my 2 pennies worth...
like destro said and oddmtyh said guys (and gals)
this was not a basic channel or chain reaction tour
this was in support of the wackies catalogue they have been reissuing over the last few years...
I mean even thier own productions are more and more strait up dub.. the tour poster expilitly said some thing about it being a wackies tour.. ie that would have told me no techno no dub house nothing like that just deep lush sweet dub reggea...the way the wackies guys do it...
as for scion at the weave or even the show with tikiman that I did these were not basic channel shows but rather chain reaction show cases... scion who played at both shows never did any thing on basic channel... rene or pete are not involved with basic channel/m/main street and so on chain reaction was loosly associated with rene's label chain reaction because they all shared space at hardwax and work together and with out basic channel there would have been no chain reaction but dont mix up the labels both very different artists and approches to music...
:)
any how Im sorry I missed R and S but in a different city didnt really help me to facilitate being there... but thats all changing for me in less then 4 days.. so the trouble maker is back in town... :)
and if I have it my way there will be some wonky splonky water events to go to soon for thoughs in the know you know what Im talkinga bout for the rest who dont well youll find out soon enough...
:) but then again i could be full of it Ill just keep you all guessing... thoughs who know, know...
whats in store... ;)

hahnsa

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by musork

and if I have it my way there will be some wonky splonky water events to go to soon for thoughs in the know you know what Im talkinga bout for the rest who dont well youll find out soon enough...
BRING IT ON!

Bean

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by gsnuff
98?

'Twas a good night.
ok revoke my technoclub membership.

how terrible is it that i remember my outfit, the weather (windy, cold .. .. november / october? . . . running from the car to we'ave), but not the music itself. . . go figure!

*sigh*

peace,

sabina

edit: i'm curious about what shows you'll be putting on, once you're back in town, neil. :)

matty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oddmyth
Caught Mark playing dubs with Tikiman at DEMF, the way dub should be heard; under the blazing sun with some cold beers and good friends.
That was a good day.