• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Review: Sean Miller, Matt C, Cajjmere Wray @ SONIC

joinT

TRIBE Member
got there just as it was opening, basically didn't stop dancing until it closed around 10:45.. i remember we were outside before 11..
the tunes were retarded off the hook.. from the moment we got in until sean pulled down the volume on some cool vocal sample which i am too baked to remember the name.

my friend lost my cell phone. if you've heard anything would appreciate knowing.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Tangiers

TRIBE Member
Wicked night !!!!! Got there before 2 while Seam Miller was ripping the mixing board with house sexiness.

Didnt like Matt C's set....too imaginary and not enough bump.

Cajmere Wray was awesome. He played the best house music I have ever heard in a long while.

3 MDMA caps. 1 e. 2 lines of coke and a shit loada joints to calm me down.

Too much fun last night.

Love you Ricky,

Hussein you rock.

Josh you missed out.

L8's.

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
aha, I like how the review of the best house music heard in a long while, is immediatly followed by the listed items that probably contributed to that view point. :p

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Highlights of the evening:

Lustra - Everytime (was so in the mood for it)
Gat Decor - Passion - holy shit I was back in '93 in the good way
The Breaks Detour: I loves the breaks anyway but even my breaks-hating friend admitted he couldn't stop dancing
Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch (dunno what remix)

And mostly: meeting Thumpr and Noodle! You two rock.

So many good tunes, so many pointing back to classic tracks and early house... awesome.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Tangiers said:
Didnt like Matt C's set....too imaginary

too imaginary?
so like there no music and he was just standing in the booth pretending to play and everyone had to make believe that there was music and pretend to dance?

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Tangiers said:
Wicked night !!!!! Got there before 2 while Seam Miller was ripping the mixing board with house sexiness.

Didnt like Matt C's set....too imaginary and not enough bump.

Cajmere Wray was awesome. He played the best house music I have ever heard in a long while.

3 MDMA caps. 1 e. 2 lines of coke and a shit loada joints to calm me down.

Too much fun last night.

Love you Ricky,

Hussein you rock.

Josh you missed out.

L8's.

Other 5 star reviews from Captain Tryhard:

Tangiers said:
Well I have finally rested enough to get my thoughts together. To be honest with you after dosing you don't remember much after 24 hours. Anyways here we go......

Got there with my buddy Hussein around 1. Place was filled nicely. $25 cover. Chiclet was on playing some hard ass tunes to get us pumped for the feature. She is really cute for an Asian girl. No slip ups. No misses. Just beats flowing.

Cor Fijneman takes the deckls around 2 and just mixes into a very pumping track and the place just went nuts. The funny thing about watching him was the cameras were focused on his belly. LOL. It seemed every track had the same bass line or something. It didn't matter what track he mixed into it seemed like the same thing again and again. He was shaking hands with people in the crowd and pumping his fist in the air. Very cool.

Mark Norman's turn came on and he played a housier side of trance which was very cool.

Sorry guys.......here's the truth about the night.

1) Way too many Asians
2) Mohammed (the bouncer) is a spitting image of my cousin but my cousin is white.
3) Red Louis Vuittons suck.
4) Missed having Ricky and Josh with me.
5) Just because you are a bald gay bouncer it doesn't mean I am going to suck your dick in the back room because I said 'hello".
6) No I don't need any coke.
7) Smoked way too many joints on the way home.
8) Cecile - you rock for a 44 yr old with kids. (you look 28)
9) Don't mess with the Triad Gang but they sell the best e's.
10) Bobo believe in God and thanks for the water.

Overall 7/10

http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/showthread.php?p=2913359#post2913359

and:

Tangiers said:
The night strted off with a few drinks at a bar in Mississauga but the bud that was with me was being a prick so I took off on em. Left him and his girl at the bar with no ride home. Personally, I do no do that sorta thing to anyone. You come with me ; you leave with me. BUT, if you are acting like a snob and think you have it better than me because you have a girlfriend....there is so much I can take before I SNAP !

Anyways............got to Viva at 1:00- paid $15 (not bad). Place was slightly filled. First time there. Noticed a lot of Asians (ie. Markham) but everyone was there to have a good time. Spent the first hour chatting it up with 'Bo Bo' the bartender. Beautiful asian lady that made me laugh all night. A pill and a redbull and I was ready to go. The space is quite large. The sound is system is pretty good. Couldn't say much for the gangs hanging out in corners. Viva is like Guvernment meets Comfort Zone.

Mark Oliver started off sweet with the some bass thumping tracks and some anthems. 'Bo Bo' wants to be his second wife she says (lol). I was chillin in VIP when the first one hit. Green butterfly. Guess who pops up in my face ? A very good looking guy named "Ricky". WE start chatting it up, laughing and joking around. It's about 2 and Kenneth is about to start.....so Ricky offers me more pleasure a hop skip and jump away. Yet supposedly real. WHY NOT !!??

From the first track to the last, Kennth ripped the sound system open inside out. Hard, fast, explsive beats filled the room. He was going mental behind the decks. He knew every word to the track and his mixing ? what mixing ? he's a magician. Not one skip or improper overlay. His fingers did the walkin and his ear was right on queue. Cant name any of the tracks. Thats where Josh comes in (aka. Whitey). I was dancing everywhere and with anyone. Rick kept me in check after 3 already. Boy they were real and STRONG. For a second I though I was at Amnesia in Ibiza again. The crowd got huge at 3:30 and the soldiers stayed till the end.

I read about Kenneth in magazines and on the web. He is from Detroit. The likes of Armin, Van Dyk and others adore him. Whitey got a free CD from him and his jacket was stolen. Oh well. Damn you are so goodlooking Rick !
Thats my insecurity talking. Progressive, NU NRG, REsonate 4 type of music with an edge of hardness to it. I heard he might be a resident there !!?? Would someone please verify and look out for him.

Left at 6, Rick and Whitey had to go to work. Chilled at Whitey's place. Man he is a nerd at electronica. I just kept naming sets after sets and he had them copied and filed. JOsh you need a new place. $850 is too much. Move to Rexdale and get a 2 bedroom for $700. Rick cant wait for the golf lessons. I made 2 new freinds that would compliment my life right now and they seem very REAL.

It's 4:51am Sunday. I just woke up after falling a asleep last night at 7:00. I had enouigh tokes to settle my feet and throbbing heart and mental bliss.

L8's

http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/showthread.php?p=2890571#post2890571

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Wish I'd gone.. Ahhh...

But re:Tangiers third post.. See above ^^^. Is that Viva Lounge in Etobicoke?? Always drive by it after work (Looks like a fast food joint) and saw a sign recently that said Mark Oliver, Friday nights.. Whaa?? Is this the place? And does it play House?? (my prefernce is dirty/deep house, but I can dance to anything). If so, awesome...a quick cab ride!! :D

Tangiers

TRIBE Member
My posts

When I party I go all the way !!!!!

Just woke up after 20 hours of sleep. Time to do laundry and groceries. I was the guy in the white sunglasses and pink madras shirt.

Viva is in Markham and Friday nights are trance. 407 & woodbine. in front of costco. no house.

Dr or Mr Tryhard ?? Better than the posts I read........

That was quite a bit of dosing that night. Didn't fall a sleep untill 6pm Saturday. I can handle it and I am safe about it. If Shane the Head bouncer kicks me out of Sonic than I know I made a fool of myself and him....which I didn't.

I still have Matt C's mixed tape from 1999. This set was meh. Spent most of his set chilling and chatting with people. The mixed taped has a track that goes "Work that mother fucker".....wicked.

I have been in the scene since Christian Island and love it.

Ciao,

4 Here

Yj.

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
Tangiers said:
I still have Matt C's mixed tape from 1999. This set was meh. Spent most of his set chilling and chatting with people. The mixed taped has a track that goes "Work that mother fucker".....wicked.

I have been in the scene since Christian Island and love it.

I have the 1983 Mini-Pops tape. I always heartily sing along to 'Behind the Green Door'. That set is really great.

I sometimes wait on the island in the middle of the road where the street light is. Usually because i crossed on the flashing orange hand instead of the white man. I absolutely love doing that.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
So I was all up in the front and just GOING OFF while my buddy Ricardo was yelling "YYEEEEEESSSSS" and we both dropped our 4th cap of MDMA and an Ex pill (green infinity) then we both looked at eachother and was like "BOAT RACES" so we went to the washrooms (too small man) and lined up 6 fat ones on each side of the toilet seat, 1-2-3-go and I totally smoked Ricardo.

Matt C's set was too make-believe for me, I like to listen to music, not imagine it, at least if all I'm doing is blow, MDMA, and pills, I only imagine music with shrroms or acid and I had like 15 hits on Thursday so I was like hell no.

RUBBER BABY BUGGY BUMPERS.

tyl,
4jyp.

p.s. I was the guy with the pink Von Dutch and clown shoes.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
good tymes.

however i'm still hearing "the ocean" 30 hours later cause the $$$ound system blew out my drums. yay.

advertising on Tribe my wearing a black polo with big scriptive "Project Raw" across the back beforehand worked! Dialog recognized me by it, good to meet and hang with you dude. too much vocal at the beginning but it got harder with less vocal later on (which is how i dig)

Sonic gets thumbs up, but put something on the walls upstairs, and bring back the old downstairs chillout!! despite all the renos the smoking area still looks like Regent Park, i would suggest putting a beach ball or something out there.

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
Not a great time, but not the worst either.
Had not been out for a while, so decided to get up early and check things out. Caught the last hour or so of Matt C's set and found it uninspiring to say the least.Plodding, go nowhere stuff...Miller picked things up when he took over and the energy picked up a little. Crowd was getting pretty thin by the time I left at 9:30 or so.

Music 6/10 for me

The venue itself: It was great to hear the system stretching it's legs a little bit after only hearing it on the sneak preview night. It sounded crisper and the bass is "chest collapsing" but the highs still seemed a little "off", (however, I'm no expert so...) The lighting is very very cool and I imagine when paired with music I am more into, I will thoroughly enjoy this place many times to come.

droops

TRIBE Member
Party guy 1 - " yeah man, I had , like, 14 beers before we left the house and a few rails. Then we hit the bar on college and I had , like six shots of jager and my friend slipped me his baggie and I went in the can and was about to do a huge key bump and then I fuckin' dropped the baggie in the shitter....FUCK. My buddie was sooooo pissed. We called his guy and he delivered so we got extra, it was all good. Then it was almost last call and I was flyin' so we downed a few more red bulls and vodkas anf before the bar kicked up out we did s couple more schnoots."

Bugged out dude next to pary guy - "Yeah?"

Party guy 1 - "yeah, so then it's like 3:30 and we hook up with my other guy with the pills and I score, like, six pills, a G of K, 2 vials of G, 3 poppers, and another G of charlie...now I'm here. Killer tunes, eh?"

Bugged out dude next to party guy - "What? I can't hear you"

Party Guy 1 - "Killer tunes, eh?"

Bugged out dude - "Got any drugs?"

Party Guy 1 - " What do you need?"

Bugged out guy - "six pills, a G of K, 2 vials of G, 3 poppers, and another G of charlie."

Party Guy 1 - "...anything else?"

Bugged out guy - " yeah....an ambulance"
:O