• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Return Of The King Out On DVD May 25th

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
Return Of The King due on DVD May 25th

DAVID GERMAIN
ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The march to Middle-earth will be shorter this time for the home-video release of the final chapter in The Lord of the Rings.

The Return of the King comes to DVD and VHS on May 25, New Line Cinema announced Monday. That's about three months quicker than the first two parts of the fantasy trilogy, both of which hit video in late summer.

The announcement comes a week after The Return of the King bulldozed its way through the Academy Awards, earning a record-tying 11 Oscars, including best picture and director for Peter Jackson, and sweeping every category in which it was nominated.

The awards bring added prestige, but for a franchise whose theatrical receipts are pushing $3 billion US, the Oscar attention was scarcely needed to boost sales.

"That is significant and valuable and adds to the imprimatur and pedigree of the trilogy, but the films have already achieved such high levels of acknowledgment and acceptance," said Stephen Einhorn, president of New Line Home Entertainment. "I do not think it materially affects the demand for the films."

New Line had held off until August for home-video releases of The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers in the last two years to feed into anticipation for the theatrical release of the next film in J.R.R. Tolkien's epic.

With the trilogy concluded, New Line decided to roll the conclusion out earlier on home video.

That's good news for fans anxious to finally stage marathon viewings at home of all three films in Jackson's monumental adaptation of Tolkien's tale, which follows the quest of a band of hobbits, humans, elves and other mythical allies to destroy a ring of ultimate evil and defeat a wicked tyrant.

New Line also plans an extended version of The Return of the King on home video around the Christmas holidays, similar to the longer cuts of the first two films. The three extended versions will push the saga's running time to more than 11 hours.

The initial DVD release of The Return of the King will include the three-hour, 20-minute theatrical version plus a range of behind-the-scenes material and trailers and TV spots for the trilogy.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
I have to wait until Xmas for the fucking extended version??? Fucking bastards.

Just release them now!!!
Does it say that? I wont buy this one i'll be waiting for the extended version but i figure if they move this one up the extended vers would come sooner too.

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Hi i'm God
Does it say that? I wont buy this one i'll be waiting for the extended version but i figure if they move this one up the extended vers would come sooner too.

New Line also plans an extended version of The Return of the King on home video around the Christmas holidays, similar to the longer cuts of the first two films. The three extended versions will push the saga's running time to more than 11 hours.

sad but true.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Eccentric (LRG)

TRIBE Member
Hrmm I too want the extended versions... Boo urns to waiting.

Though my dad will buy ROTK asap. SO I'll be fine until then.

I saw it for the 3rd time on friday :D Such a geek. I <3 Pippin.

re: mammoth set.

I HOPE SO !

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Nesta
is it safe to assume they'll release a mammoth box set with all three extended versions?

Of course.. but that will come sometime next year prolly.

It's all about marketting

Originally posted by Nesta
is it safe to assume they'll release a mammoth box set with all three extended versions?

Yep. They'll probably do what Alien did and release it in a huge multi disc set.

(Just a note - the Alien Quadrilogy is a massive 9 discs in length and is 5 and a half feet wide when fully unfolded).

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
Yep. They'll probably do what Alien did and release it in a huge multi disc set.

(Just a note - the Alien Quadrilogy is a massive 9 discs in length and is 5 and a half feet wide when fully unfolded).

From another site

Peter Jackson:

"I'm sure most of you have heard me blabbing off in the past few weeks but we've just finished the extended cut of the DVD. I finished the edit before I came over here - these poor bastards at Weta have got another 350 effects shots to do! They're well on the way. Elijah's seen the extended cut. New Line have announced some box set that's supposed to be coming out which I didn't know anything about. When I've done King Kong I'd like to do a proper box set and we've got a whole bunch of material - not of the movie but we've got a whole lot of bloopers out there! When King Kong's out the way I'd like to do a really high definition version with the best possible picture quality."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now there's good news if ever we heard it! Rings in high-def? Count us in! The extended DVD is obviously for Return of the King (due in November), while the box set he's talking about would feature the entire Rings trilogy (New Line already has one planned for 2004, but it sounds as if Jackson didn't know about that, and would rather do a more comprehensive HD set at a later time). There were other interesting DVD-related quotes from Jackson and company made at the event as well, including inside word on a funny Easter egg that's planned for the extended DVD. There even a little talk of an eventual film version of The Hobbit

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Lil'Timmy

The awards bring added prestige, but for a franchise whose theatrical receipts are pushing $3 billion US, the Oscar attention was scarcely needed to boost sales.
milking.JPG

HMHA

TRIBE Member
*grown* extended version? god help us all...

this movie was excruciatingly long to begin with... the length is what killed this movie for me..

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by HMHA

this movie was excruciatingly long to begin with... the length is what killed this movie for me..

yeah but when you're watching at home you can stop it for a piss break whenever you want ;p

HMHA

TRIBE Member
i suppose one could just end the movie after the dead army kicks ass... that might make it more bearable.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Maybe if they took out all the fight scenes too and just showed sam and frodo go to morodor that might help to. Cause really thats the whole point of the story right?! Destroy the ring.

We didnt even need 3 movies they coulda done it in 1.

Also maybe once the ring falls in the lava sam leans over to frodo and whispers something in his ear and the credits can roll. Thats how a good movie would be made. Right?

After spending 9hrs+ watching these if they ended it any shorter then they did I woulda been pissed. Seriously it's not an Epic Trilogy if you just want it to end with NO closure. Just be glad they didnt leave in the hazing of the Shire or whatever.

gollum

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by HMHA

A yet another product of the MTV generation. Too long? It was only just over 3 hours.

Not long enough is what I say.

I sat through the entire trilogy in the theatre... 12 freaking hours!!!

Now that was long. but oh so worth it.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hi i'm God

After spending 9hrs+ watching these if they ended it any shorter then they did I woulda been pissed. Seriously it's not an Epic Trilogy if you just want it to end with NO closure. Just be glad they didnt leave in the hazing of the Shire or whatever.

I completely agree. Lots of people think the third movie when on too long but really enjoyed seeing Minas Tirith and The Shire at peace in the end. That's what they were fighting for, after all.

Without the happy and peaceful ending the trilogy would have felt hollow.