1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

retarted sms charges on your mobile bills

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by mystique0217, Oct 17, 2005.

1. mystique0217

mystique0217 TRIBE Member

how many of you have received countless and useless messages from the sms.ac site although you cancelled your account looong time ago??

I was charged over $15 for the stupid messages I received from the site: that is fu*king 60 useless text messages.

I called FIDO to disable my sms function, but they tell me that they do not have such an option. They suggested that I contact the sms.ac to get the money refunded, but the shitty part is, they do not clearly state their customer service info (no telephone number). There was an email address that appeared to be for the customer service, but even when you write to the addy, you get an auto reply suggesting to go to their HELP page where we could get all the answers that we need :rolleyes:

I just wanna know how I can stop these stupid messages or disable sms function on my mobile, so that I do not have to waste my time checking them??

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Kumi

2. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

umm... if you don't check them, do you still get charged for them?

if not then don't check them.

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

from what I've been reading on the the net, sms.ac is a scam. There are whole websites set up to complain about it but no one can come up with any solution other than to cancel the service outright and start again with a new carrier, etc. Absolutely do not respond to any messages they send you.

Get as far away from sms.ac as you can.

4. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

once they're sent, you get charged. it doesn't matter if you read them or not since they are already on your phone.

is there no way to have that number blocked for sms (similar to blocking a phone number from dialing in?)

5. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

I thought with most phone companies its free to receive txt msg's, but sending will cost you from .10-.15 cents. Taht way its legal for someone to send you spam txt's, like Fido :eek:

6. technowelt

technowelt TRIBE Member

i believe there are charges on top of it, sort of like a 900 number..

its pretty funny to see those commercials on CFMT for the joke-a-day SMS service,. The fine print on the commercials says that they charge you like $1 a message, which is more than what I pay per month for my phone :eek:

7. mystique0217

mystique0217 TRIBE Member

yes, that is the question that I would like to know.

I have no idea if I will ever get the refund, although my fido tells me I would.

I am thinking of changing my god-damn phone number if I continue to be charged stupid amount every month like this...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

8. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

To all you people who have signed yourselves, and friends (like me!) up to this sms.ac bullshit:

you are getting what you deserve.

If it says "free" or "bigger" and it's from the internet: CLOSE WINDOW WITH MAXIMUM HASTE and for god's sake do NOT put in your email address or mine, and especially not your own freakin cell number!!

-jM
    A&D

9. RedInMtl

RedInMtl TRIBE Member

I gotta say i agree with Jeffsus....just what exactly did you think would happen when you put your email address and all your buddies email addresses as well as your cell # into their databases??
    Any email from sms.ac....that Hifive business...birthday tracker...whatever....do yourself and all your friends a favor and insta-delete

10. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

I got some like that, but thankfully since I cancelled the thing they stopped. Thanks to my cousin for that one.

11. The Tesseract

The Tesseract TRIBE Member

My friends keep sending me that sms.ac email
    I keep moving it into trash.

12. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

The only ones I get are from fido..

13. Noize

Noize TRIBE Member

question...
    do the same charges apply when someone "send a message to mobile device" through MSN?
    Is that considered SMS?

14. SJN

SJN TRIBE Member

no

15. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

16. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

It is not considered SMS - ie, yes, you are probably paying for it.

Somewhere, somehow, someone always pays for it. So if it was free to send from MSN, then you probably pay for it. This is certainly the case with Bell and Telus, and usually Rogers, though I remember Rogers' unlimited package for $10 may include MSN aswell.... but what do I know, I live in Japan now where everything costs about 10x as much.

-jM
    A&D

17. Cydome

Cydome TRIBE Member

I don't think your friends are actually sending them. I used to get a bunch too and I asked the ppl who sent them to me what it was all about and they didn't even have a clue that these messages were being sent with their names on them...

18. SJN

SJN TRIBE Member

Bell's 10$ unlimited package covers MSN text messages, as well as messages sent via email. I have this package, and I have never paid anything else for any text message (in fact, I never even paid for the SMS.ac messages when I used to receive those annoying "xoxcandixox wants to be your friend. do you say yes?" messages). I've never paid anything other than the 10$.

19. CO2

CO2 TRIBE Member

I fell into that damn sms.ac trap and quickly realized what a scam it was. There is however, and option to turn off these messages to you (they charge 25cents each), which is exactly what ive done and havent gotten any of those text messages since!

20. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

I got these and cancelled it 3 times!!!...on the the "this means war" stage...it really is pissing me off now

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK WHO STRUCK OUT THE MOST BATTERS IN ONE INNING OF BASEBALL!!!:mad: