• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Restaurant recommendations in Ottawa/things to do on a Thursday

sam

TRIBE Member
Hey,

Quuestion for anyone in Ottawa or anyone who goes there a lot:

I'm being sent on business next Thursday and was looking for a good place to have dinner. Somewhere with atmosphere and good food.

And also, if anyone knows of any good lounges/bars/clubs to hit on a Thursday night, please send the info my way as well :)

Any help would be appreciated as it's been like 10 years since I've been there...

Cheers,

S+

Persephone

TRIBE Member
I love, love, love the Black Thorn Cafe in the market. They are pricey for dinner, but the atmosphere is just awesome. The menu is also limited, but it has lots of staples (ie steak, lamb, pastas).

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
check out kinki sushi in the market. wicked asian fusion. hmmm

as for thursdays... MTL & co is alright on thursday... Helsinki is decent place to.. i think thursday.. although i think thursday is a gay night?

Persephone

TRIBE Member
whatever you do, don't eat at MTL...I ate there two weeks ago. Worst food EVAR. You can eat better at East Side Mario's.

Taro

TRIBE Member
black thorn is nice, but pricey..

it's been so long since I've gone out in ottawa - it was before Helsinki existed (and was still called 'the well')!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

sam

TRIBE Member
Keep em coming folks....great suggestions so far.

Ev, I checked out the menu at Kinki Sushi and it looks amazing...all depends if I'm in the sushi mood that night I guess!!

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
sam said:
Keep em coming folks....great suggestions so far.

Ev, I checked out the menu at Kinki Sushi and it looks amazing...all depends if I'm in the sushi mood that night I guess!!

they've got a lot of stuff there that isnt' sushi.. ... I hate sushi... i ate teryaki ribs and they were SICK!

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
Another vote here for Kinki Sushi.. really good sushi, great ambiance.. and usually some really nice music playing (no, not psytrance). It's a bit pricey though, unless you get in on the 2 for 1 happy hour (post lunch-pre dinner) specials.

Also good is a Mexican place, who's name escapes me, but is located right in the marketplace.. they have a big Mayan calendar on the sign. Reaaaaally good natchos and homemade salsa. Also very good burritos in that unsweetened cocoa sauce..yum.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
i went to an italian place last time i was there.. can't remember that name.. but I can find out.. the food was pretty good... portions were huge and the prices were decent.. i can find out.. my buddy is a cook there.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
the restaurant in the arc hotel receives great reviews and ive never had a bad eating experience there. their burgers are out of this fucking world...they have all sorts of fancier stuff too, but the burgs are insane..massive slab of sirloin drowing in asiago cheese on some weird semi-crusty bun. my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

if you want something a little more meat n potatos theres a fun place called cornerstones down in the market..basically any kind of meat you can cook they have, usually cooked in some sort of jack daniels sauce ;)

big daddy's crab shack on elgin is probably my favourite place to eat in ottawa...theres one on king w. here in TO as well...every single thing on the menu is insanely good. seafood and cajun-ey pastas and whatnot. if i could only choose one restaurant to eat out in for the rest of my life it would most definitely be big daddy's

for mexican theres mexicali rosa's (several locations including a few downtown) and pancho villa, which is on elgin st..

there are other places in the market too..empire grill, 18 york st....

Last edited:

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
videotronic said:
the restaurant in the arc hotel receives great reviews and ive never had a bad eating experience there. their burgers are out of this fucking world...they have all sorts of fancier stuff too, but the burgs are insane..massive slab of sirloin drowing in asiago cheese on some weird semi-crusty bun. my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

agreed on those burgers! but they're fuck on expensive considering it's a burger! last time i stayed there was just in november.. i think the burgers were like $18? but they were good!

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
ev said:
agreed on those burgers! but they're fuck on expensive considering it's a burger! last time i stayed there was just in november.. i think the burgers were like $18? but they were good!
for burgers in ottawa, go to 'the works'. there are a few, none *right* downtown, but a couple in decent locations (beechwood village or westboro areas). the burgers are *AWESOME* and the prices are pretty damned good too. they have about 100 different burgers on their menu too, so there's something for everyone.

joey

TRIBE Member
if you go to MexiCali Rosas in Kanata ask for Frank and tell him joey sent you for a free margarita

sam

TRIBE Member
Wicked suggestions so far everyone...looks like Kinki Sushi, Black Thorn, and Arc will be at the top of my list as far as places for dinner. Not too concerned with prices as my company is supposed to be picking up my meals :cool:

Just gotta settle on a place to chill for some drinks and good music for afterwards!!

I like being prepared before I go anywhere....

Persephone

TRIBE Member
well, Kinki & the Black Thorn are both in the market. If you were there you'd be ideally situated to find a lounge/bar for the night.

If you're in the mood for Italian, I ate at Mezzanotte a few weeks ago and also really enjoyed myself. Since price doesn't matter, you might want to consider that place too.