1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Reputable Audio Engineering school doing evening programs?

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by Sal De Ban, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good sound school that offers the option of evening-only courses. since "Google Word of Mouth" is only beta-testing at the moment :p

2. DaPhatConductor

DaPhatConductor TRIBE Promoter

save your money.

buy yourself some TIME in the studio, maybe even with someone who knows what they're doing...

3. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

What do you want to learn?

4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

very good question. no idea.

5. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

I can recommend a fantastic book that will definitely help you in one area. It's called 'The Art of Mixing'. It's a bit pricey, but much cheaper than going to a school, and it taught me more in a couple of weeks than I learned in my first semester at school many moons ago.

6. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

Have you checked Centennial College? But as others have said you better to invest the money in gear and some books and devote your time into it... Some courses may help but i would not shell out a bunch of $$$ to learn...

7. rulz

rulz TRIBE Member

i'll second this book.

8. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

I think the Harris institute does weekend classes now.

As far as book reccomendations go my personal fave was "Mixing With Your Mind".

9. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

10. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

This is the 21st century! Just take a Photoshop class!

11. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

oh you cheeky devil.

p.s. thanks for the book recommendations. maybe that'll be my route.

12. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Hey Maphi who is the author of this book? I'm having trouble weeding through all the bartending / martini books online, lol

13. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

i've always found that literature does a horrible job at teaching sound design and mixing. "turn the compressor down until you hear it pumping...", this kind of thing always seems silly to me. i think there are some tutorial videos on mixing but i forget the name of the host.

there are also plenty of video tutorial packages geared for specific programs like pro tools or cubase - these are good cause they follow a bit of a course outline. but watching screencasts for too long like lynda.com can be mind numbing after a while.

i recommend taking in a mix of learning sources then - books, videos, and weekend classes like harris that was suggested. see what works for you. also noah pred does some beginner ableton live workshops once in a while. i think they're posted on this forum. it's the Rich Media Institute but their site is down at the moment;
    http://www.richmediainstitute.com

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  14. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

This is it:

chapters.indigo.ca: The Art Of Mixing: A Visual Guide To Recording, Engineering, And Production, Second Edition: David Gibson: Books

I agree with Mr. Tunes that literature generally does a horrible job teaching sound design & mixing, but this book is different. It uses a cool system of diagrams which really helps you visualize a mix and helps you to understand things in a very straightforward way. It doesn't really tell you what settings to use for any given thing, and it doesn't promote any specific gear or anything. It's really hard to describe unless you check it out.

15. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

Here's a shot of the back cover to give you some idea of how this book works:

[​IMG]

16. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

oh one other thing i've found lately is that asking questions help you learn faster. they put a finger on what exactly you can't figure out. i have found that asking questions is so powerful that sometimes i am able to answer it myself before getting an answer.

i once read that if you take a topic and ask a new question about it every day for a month, you will become better at that thing by leaps and bounds. you don't have to ask all of them out loud in a class or in a forum, but just keep asking and you'll keep learning.

17. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

18. Phat Mastering

Phat Mastering New Member

The best thing to do as someone rightly mentioned would be to invest in some monitors and other gear and start getting your hands dirty with practice. Many of these courses are super expensive and do not even prepare you for the working world - plus jobs are extremely scarce at the moment.

There are several blogs and information resources out there that will teach you all you need to know. You never stop learning and will be ten times more employable if you get hands on experience on your own. Even better if you can bug every studio in your area for a trainee job - work for free.

We run a mastering service and often post beginner tips in our blog on mixing & mastering so feel free to check it out.

Good luck!