• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Republican Mutiny?

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Republicans seeking showdown with Bush over ports deal

PAUL KORING

WASHINGTON -- Mutinous Republicans, citing security concerns and seeking to sink a deal giving an Arab company control of some of the biggest U.S. ports, manoeuvred yesterday to force a showdown with President George W. Bush.

In what may emerge as the most serious congressional challenge to Mr. Bush over his self-styled role as gunslinger in the war against terrorism, Republicans in both the House of Representatives and the Senate are openly defying the President over the port takeover.

"We are going to send a very clear signal that we want to have American interests secured by leaders in America," said Jerry Lewis, a Republican who chairs the vital House appropriations committee.

A House committee supported 62-2 yesterday Mr. Lewis's poison-pill amendment to a $91-billion funding bill for running the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. If passed, and a vote is expected next week, the bill would effectively kill the deal that would see Dubai-based DP World managing six major U.S. ports.

Mr. Bush, who hasn't vetoed any legislation during his five years in the White House, has threatened to refuse to sign any bill torpedoing the DP ports deal. But a veto could throttle the money flow needed to keep fighting the war.

Having failed to win congressional backing for Social Security overhaul, the centrepiece of his domestic agenda, and being forced to withdraw the dead-ended nomination of his own lawyer, Harriet Miers, to the Supreme Court, Mr. Bush now faces open Republican revolt on a national-security issue.

That has Democrats crowing.

"For 5½ years, anything that President Bush has wanted, this Republican-dominated Congress has rolled over for him," Harry Reid, the Democrats' Senate leader, said yesterday.

Deborah Pryce, a Republican from Ohio, a key swing state, has accused Homeland Security czar Michael Chertoff of allowing the "nation's security [to] be sacrificed at the altar of free trade."

What Mr. Chertoff actually said was that rigorous security checks had cleared DP Ports and that the defence and security of U.S. harbours remained in the hands of the U.S. Coast Guard, not the company unloading containers. The United States must "balance the paramount urgency of security against the fact that we still want to have a robust global trading system," he said, only to add to the controversy.

Unspoken, but evidently underlying some of the opposition -- running at 80 per cent in some polls -- is the feeling that Arab nations or Muslims can't be entrusted with vital U.S. infrastructure.

"The kinds of questions I will ultimately want answered is, what did Dubai do when an innocent country, Denmark, had its embassies burned?" Christopher Shays, a Connecticut Republican, said yesterday.

"How did they try to temper the radical thoughts within their own societies? What did they do to speak out? What did they do to prevent it? What are they doing now to condemn it? Or are they just basically trying to placate us and pay political leaders in this country lots of money to make their arguments and then put gasoline on the radicals who want to incite anger against Denmark?"

Right-wing opponents of the deal acidly note that U.S. citizens can't even own a McDonalds, let alone a major company, in the United Arab Emirates.

State-owned DP World has emerged as a major global player, running container ports in Europe and Asia as well as the Persian Gulf. Its latest and most controversial deal, buying the port-operating unit from Britain's P&O, gave it control of facilities in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Miami and New Orleans.

In an effort to defuse opposition, the company has formally requested a full-blown 45-day review, something the security committee that first looked at the deal deemed unnecessary.

But the political calculus may be simpler than the security issues.

"There's nothing that the American people understand more than the Dubai Ports situation," Mr. Reid said. "Think about this: a foreign government owning our ports. The American people don't like it."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060309.PORTS09/TPStory/TPInternational/

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

why not

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
"There's nothing that the American people understand more than the Dubai Ports situation," Mr. Reid said. "Think about this: a foreign government owning our ports. The American people don't like it."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060309.PORTS09/TPStory/TPInternational/

the funny thing is, this is one of the only issues i don't think bush is wrong about.
it was already owned by foreigners, to deny it to another foreign company just because it's owned by arabs would just be racist, and exactly the kind of thing bush should be avoiding.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I agree that's it's probably not worth the attention it's getting, but considering THIS is the thing to make people smell the coffee at least a little bit, I hope they run with it.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
it's sad because this is one of the few things i agree with bush on. Blocking the ports deal is nothing but bullshit.

edit: shit someone already said it.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Yeah really I didn't think it made a difference if a company based in country B is swapped with country C.

That said my lord I want to see the republican party break with the christian right and form 2 seperate parties. I'm sick of having my capitalism corrupted by religious morons who want to enforce morality and ethics. I just want fewer programs to help the poor, lower taxes and to make fun of religion.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

why not

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Yeah really I didn't think it made a difference if a company based in country B is swapped with country C.

That said my lord I want to see the republican party break with the christian right and form 2 seperate parties. I'm sick of having my capitalism corrupted by religious morons who want to enforce morality and ethics. I just want fewer programs to help the poor, lower taxes and to make fun of religion.

what i'd like to see in canada would be for the right to split again (along the lines you're describing) and for the NDP and Liberals to make a common party.

to my eyes, i see way more differences between moral conservatives and economic conservatives than i do between the Liberals and the NDP.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
I agree that's it's probably not worth the attention it's getting, but considering THIS is the thing to make people smell the coffee at least a little bit, I hope they run with it.

Agreed.

The issue itself was a pretty benign one (except for the White House trying to sneak the deal through...). This just happenned to be the catalyst for larger scale revolt & debate which is a good thing to finally see happenning.

I just read on CNN that DP World is going to sell it's US operations that it just bought from P&O to an as yet un-named US firm.

So, who will get the untendered deal: Halliburton or Bechtel? :p

randyval

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
i find it sad that thier own propaganda worked all too well, it seems it has come back to bite GW.
this is not a good thing because it reinforces fears and steriotyps against "muslims" not "terrorists".
i think this move was ment to "show" the world that america was NOT at war with muslims, but it turns out a lot of people have different ideas.
ironic

Last edited:

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Tapping domestic phone calls, lying about the reasons for going to war with Iraq, mishandling the New Orleans Hurricane response... somehow all this shit takes a backseat to a completely legal agreement where a foreign company will be running some ports in the U.S.??

Love it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
Tapping domestic phone calls, lying about the reasons for going to war with Iraq, mishandling the New Orleans Hurricane response... somehow all this shit takes a backseat to a completely legal agreement where a foreign company will be running some ports in the U.S.??

Love it.

Hey in the end Clinton bombed a country that wasn't involved in any form of conflict without a decloration of war. And for what to level an asprin plant! To avoid media attention caused by a blow job he bombed a tiny country and escalated a minor conflict into a civil war and then he lied about the blow job.

We ignored Clinton (remember he attacked Iraq, Sudan, Somalia, Kosovo) for ages and then in the end the big deal was a blow job.

rarely do you get them for the big things, its the little things (think Nixon) that bring administrations to there knees.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
^^^ wasn't Lewinsky the one on her knees?

The propaganda machine is attacking it's master. Awesome ++

technics1200