• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Republican GOP

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I think it's a state thing too.

The census gerrymandering race profiling related case came in with Roberts siding with the Liberals, which was good to see.

I think it's a state thing too.

The census gerrymandering race profiling related case came in with Roberts siding with the Liberals, which was good to see.
I'm a bit cynical when the system is stacked with a governing party that fights it's own courts when they rule against them, hence why I sit a bit more on the federal intervention level. I honestly believe in the state's rights too, but the fact that the governing parties are demonstrating anti-democratic methods of consolidating power, is why I feel the intervention is necessary. Problem is, the precedent it sets in the future.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Supreme Court as 2020 issue

The battle for political advantage in state capitols will become more intense after a 5-4 Supreme Court decision declaring that federal judges have no role in settling disputes over partisan gerrymandering, AP reports.

• Why it matters: The momentous ruling could empower the parties controlling state legislatures and governorships to become even more aggressive in drawing districts after the 2020 census.
Be smart, from WashPost: The gerrymandering decision is "a dramatic example of how a new justice [Brett Kavanaugh] can create monumental change."

• On the final day of the term, the court also voted 5-4 to freeze "the Trump administration’s plan to include a citizenship question on the 2020 Census form, ... saying the government had provided a 'contrived' reason."
  • President Trump tweeted: "I have asked the lawyers if they can delay the Census, no matter how long," until the Supreme Court makes a final ruling.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I'm a bit cynical when the system is stacked with a governing party that fights it's own courts when they rule against them, hence why I sit a bit more on the federal intervention level. I honestly believe in the state's rights too, but the fact that the governing parties are demonstrating anti-democratic methods of consolidating power, is why I feel the intervention is necessary. Problem is, the precedent it sets in the future.

This is what you get with a system built as designed. States get to decide where these lines go. Whoever holds power at the local level gets to draw them.

This is what you get with a system built as designed. States get to decide where these lines go. Whoever holds power at the local level gets to draw them.
Tough to argue with that from my end. Like I said, though, the precedent that it would set if they advocated for federal intervention, where would it stop? And it would get abused af immediately.

The decision still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

spaboy

TRIBE Member
Is that why the charges were dropped or was it because of some special cabal connections that only friends of Trump know about
That's a separate issue. But absolving the mom of her stupid decision to push your narrative is dishonest. This has to do with stupidity not abortion law