• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Reporting Welfare Fraud

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
I find myself in the unpleasant situation of having knowledge of fraud perpetuated on the Welfare system. This fraud was long-term and systematic and includes hiding assets to ensure program eligibility, hiding income, and collecting benefits while living out of province. I have specific knowledge as to how this was accomplished: names, dates, amounts, and even bank accounts used.

The amounts involved are non-trivial and the fraud was conducted over the many months...possibly longer. The method in which the fraud was conducted was deliberate and intended to bilk the system - this is no accidental receipt of an extra $100 that wasn't reported, this is undeserved benefits totaling thousands of dollars received over a lengthy period of time.

While the individual who perpetrated this fraud should be investigated I have concerns that parties who knowingly assisted in the fraud (through use of family members' bank accounts) may also be dragged in as secondary targets (specifically for income tax charges) - one person is elderly and while the law is the law I have some problems with them becoming collateral damage. I am led to believe that for the amounts and duration involved serious charges would likely be laid on the fraudster and fines and penalties levied on those who assisted.

Additionally there would be some effort on my behalf as my affidavit would be required and I may have to testify at a later date. I have made contact with investigators anonymously through a lawyer and they have expressed interest in my co-operation; at this point I can walk away or pursue it further. I'm still on the fence and hoping for some sign from this individual that they are willing to accept some responsibility for their actions and deal with it constructively rather than rat them out.

What would Tribe do?

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
I've actually reported this before in what seems to be a VERY similar circumstance, and secretly followed it through the courts.
the charges were dropped.
Canada seems to be very flaky when dealing with this, but that could have been this particular judge.
at any rate, do it up fo sho.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
why are there so many posts on people ratting other people out going down on tribe lately. Was this crimestoppers website?

just do what you gotta do.

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
Three out of four Tribers agree!

Before the thread gets snitchy I should clarify that no identifying information has been disclosed to authorities, only the abstract of the fraud.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
well put it this way. Some people have been really put out in their lives. And then turning in a little old lady on fraud so she can die in prision doesn't have a good ring to it.

bad, yes. illegal? prolly. Any of our damn business? no.

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
Booty Bits said:
what's more important to you? protecting this person's innocent relatives, or seeing this person face justice?
Problem is the relatives wittingly or unwittingly aided the fraud (although in a fairly passive way) so they may not be entirely innocent. They may end up as collateral damage though depending on how aggressive it was prosecuted I suppose. An old person with arthritis and a host of medical conditions getting the rubber glove from CRA....hmmmm, not sure how comfortable I am with that.

2canplay

TRIBE Member
JamesM said:
well put it this way. Some people have been really put out in their lives. And then turning in a little old lady on fraud so she can die in prision doesn't have a good ring to it.

bad, yes. illegal? prolly. Any of our damn business? no.
WORD.

If you want to rat someone out, find the multi-millionaire who cheats on his taxes. F**k. Or, better yet, mind your own business. If there caught their caught.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
2canplay said:
WORD.

If you want to rat someone out, find the multi-millionaire who cheats on his taxes. F**k. Or, better yet, mind your own business. If there caught their caught.
No one said it was a little old lady.

Would you feel differently if you knew someone who legitimately needed the welfare money that this person was "stealing"?

JamesM

TRIBE Member
^ wasn't there just a post also about how a kid sued their parent's for being grounded? Lot's of government dollars hard at work there as well.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
^ no. there was not. and the fact that you can't see how these issues are completely and utterly unrelated means that you probably shouldn't be offering your advice in this thread.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
ha, I'm saying. The people who get welfare and qualify do. They aren't denied because someone else is getting it illegitimately. IF they have money to pursue this rediculous legal fiasco they have money to give for welfare.

joey

TRIBE Member
you dont know the extent of the system..

sure you're posting with an alias, but when it is all said and done after posting on a public message board with this information you too could be brought down...

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Based on the amount of information and knowledge you claim to have into the fraud, one would assume you either

A) Where party to it and may find yourself under the microscope of the system if you're not careful

or

B) Are out to spite someone who held you in a position of trust (employer, friend, ex, whatever)

Either way I'd say it's both good karma and good looking out to dummy up. Far worse shit than this goes on without people talking about it. Makes you sound petty.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
again, it's none of my damn business. My money from my job goes to all sorts of retarded things. Conservative road trips. Prolly their night at the rippers as well. I'd rather it go to someone old who might need it but isn't exactly legal.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
this really isn't about them or the govt, it's about you. the fact is that if these people were your friends there would be no post, and this would not be a consideration. however, any crime against society is against everybody, so i don't blame you for feeling like you do.

if you think you have a relationship with these people, make your feelings known, then stop seeing them. otherwise you will just be keeping what you really feel about them behind the scenes, and it will come out in the worst way, usually with mustard.