1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Renting movies online

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by swenard, Aug 31, 2003.

1. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Has anyone ever rented movies online?

I just found this web site www.dvdflix.ca and you can rent movies for $19.95/month.

It sounds pretty good to me. They send you 3 dvd's, you send them back when you're done with them. Then the cycle starts all over again.

Does anyone know of any other places that do this, that are good?

2. sauce

sauce TRIBE Member

3. rejenerate

rejenerate TRIBE Member

I checked it out but I don't think I would use it...sometimes I like to go to the video store and browse because I don't know what I want, or ask a clerk what s/he recommends.

Plus the selection seems only a little bit better than a Blockbuster...I prefer the choices at places like Suspect and Queen video.

~jen

4. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

I actually prefer going to the movie store as well. But, I signed up for this service too. That way I will get a little surprise in the mail every few days with 5 "classics" of my choosing(I signed up for the premium service). But, I will continue to go to the movie store for new releases. I have actually requested over 450 movies from this place!!!! and I'm only half way through the list.

My DVD burner is going to be busy the next couple of months!!!!

5. Isn't the pirating of DVD's hard to do? I've been told that you can't really copy a DVD the same way you copy a CD.

6. soulmantra

soulmantra TRIBE Member

[thread hijack] i have been wondering about this for awhile too. can anybody give us some info on dvd copying and/or burning? how easy is it? i'm assuming the easiest way would be to rent/borrow a film and then through it on the hard drive... then copy it to a dvd?

i don't know... just guessing. [/thread hijack]

7. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Ew. Those DVDs are covered in some else's spunk, you know.

8. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

i'm by no means an expert, but i think the hardeset part is copying the menu/special features/different sound options etc..

a friend of mine has been buring DVD's for the last couple of months, and while he can burn the film fine, and get the surround sound, he has trouble copying the rest.

he said it has something to do with the software used to copy menu etc., not working with his burner??

Sweeney, does it work fine for you?

9. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Works fine for me, what software is your buddy using?

10. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

The main problem with copying DVDs is the fact that there is usually more than 4.7 GB of content on a DVD released by a production company. Why? Because most DVDs are dual layered. But home DVD burners only burn single layer discs. It would be too expensive to have one that could burn both layers. Keep in mind, I mean layers, not sides ... there is a difference.

Anyways, there are two programs that I use, depending on what I need to do.

One is DVD-X-Copy and will display all of the sets of audio and data tracks on the disc. Then you select which ones you want to include on your DVD. If you want to copy everything, including menus and bonus features, then you will select everything. If you just want the movie with the English 5.1 soundtrack, only select those portions of the disc.

However, while DVD-X-Copy has the advantage of copying the audio and video tracks, EXACTLY as they were on the original, it means that often , even if you omit the special features, you cannot copy everything onto one disc (since many DVDs are 9GB in size).

So what happens if it doesn't all fit? Well DVD-X-Copy will fill up the first disc, then ask you to insert another disc to finish copying the movie. So if you don't mind flipping discs (or better yet, if you have a DVD changer) in the middle of the movie, then this method will render yo ua perfect copy of the original movie. BTW, when it splits the movie, it does so at the end of a chapter, not randomly somewhere in the middle of a scene.

But say you want to copy the whole movie, and you want it all on one disc. What do you do? Well, you use DVD-X-Copy X-Press. This is a extremely basic and simple piece of software that basically reads the movie from the original disc, strips out all of the extras (if you want to), and then re-compresses the movie into the maximum size that will fit onto a disc.

Yes, you lose quality in both audio and video, and it is noticeable a bit on an HDTV, but if you were to play it on a computer screen with surround sound, you most likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I think both pieces of software are about $150 - $200 CDN.

And one last thing ... each software inserts a small 5 second track at the very beginning of the movie that you copy that says "DVD BACKUP", and displays a warning that the disc you are playing is a backup, and you must own the original. After showing that title screen, the movie plays as the original normally would.

Personally, I have yet to actually copy a DVD and keep it. If I really like the movie, I will just buy it. But what I do use it for is when I rent from Blockbuster, because they have a rent 2, get 1 free policy. But of course, I can't (or don't want to) watch all 3 movies in the span of 2 nights, and then drop them off late at night to avoid late fees. So I will usually watch one of the movies, then copy the other two onto DVD-RW discs. Then I can watch them later in the week whenever I want. I use DVD-RW discs so that when I am done watching it, I can just delete it and use the disc to copy another movie the following week.

Cheers ... Ian :)