• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

removing lead from drinking water

mingster

TRIBE Member
i had our water tested when my son was born and we found higher than acceptable levels of lead coming out of our kitchen tap. since then (and before) i've only served brita-filtered water for drinking.

i was just browsing their website this morning and found that they can no longer claim that the pitchers filter out lead due to the testing agency having changed their standards of testing. but that the tap attachment filter still does filter out lead.

so i'm hoping it is truly a case of the testing agency changing something in their redtape, and that the brita pitcher does a good enough job, cause i've been feeding it to my baby, and using it throughout 2 pregnancies. but to be confident, i think i may need to find a new solution to filter out lead. probably an under the sink system of some sort. we are only going to be in our house for another couple years so it's not worth going through pipe replacement.

does anyone have any recommendations for what they use/installed in their home to filter out lead? i'm looking for a good solution around $300 bucks.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
we all survived with lead pipes and are fine.

We never replaced the 2 ft lead inward water pipe when the city replaced their portion.

We do what all public schools do in the city. Run the water for about 10 minutes in the morning and evening when we get home. The lead is miniscule and you need to flush it out. Once flushed out (grit, leach) you are fine.

Lead in drinking water - Toronto Public Health

What chemicals do Brita-type filters remove from water? | NOW Magazine

http://nsf.org/consumer/

http://www.nsf.org/Certified/consumer/listings_results.asp?KeyWords=&ProgramCode=WATER_FILTER&CompanyName=&ProductName=&SearchType=ADVANCED&prog_add=Y&function_desc=Lead%20Reduction&search_tbl=ols_dwtu&prod_cnt=455&comp_cnt=63&SortType=desc&PreSort=prod_desc&SortHeader=company_name

Last edited:

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
good lord your water bill must be intense.
It actually doesn't increase our bill. Not that we noticed when we started the practice.

But I think that is because we are on a billing structure that does not have limits on use, if that makes sense?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

praktik

TRIBE Member
Toxicity is about dose, having said that if your levels truly are elevated I would certainly report that/pursue deeper investigation.

acheron

TRIBE Member
It actually doesn't increase our bill. Not that we noticed when we started the practice.

But I think that is because we are on a billing structure that does not have limits on use, if that makes sense?
if you're in Toronto, you will eventually be moved to a metered billing structure.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
I looked into it at lunch! I'm on metered now :( Didn't even realize it.

Off to get a filter (lol)

I'm getting a three stage reverse osmosis system for under the sink. Another weekend project.

Thanks for the heads up Acheron

derek

TRIBE Member
have you replace the pipe from you house the main? these were led and the city had, perhaps still has a rebate to replace the lead pipe. i believe it's upto $2000.

or get a filter like agent is doing.

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
I looked into it at lunch! I'm on metered now :( Didn't even realize it.

Off to get a filter (lol)

I'm getting a three stage reverse osmosis system for under the sink. Another weekend project.
Where are you getting it from? I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but I'm in a rental....Im sure there must be a less permanent system?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
I'm not too sure yet. Still researching where to get it. I have another option to. My mother in law has one and they just sold their house. I'm going to see if I can can just take hers and replace the filters. (gots to save some money!)

I'll report back on the install after the weekend.

mingster

TRIBE Member
I'm not too sure yet. Still researching where to get it. I have another option to. My mother in law has one and they just sold their house. I'm going to see if I can can just take hers and replace the filters. (gots to save some money!)

I'll report back on the install after the weekend.
please do let us know.

we can't take on any more major changes to our house right now cause i'm about to have a baby, so i'm looking to install some piece of mind that's not too pricey.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Well I have become a bit of an expert in this field having dealt with the exact issue when my wife became preggers.

If you are in Toronto Mel you can apply to a priority lead pipe replacement program, if you are pregnant and/or meet their other criteria.
lead pipe program

The city will do their portion for free, your side will cost ~$1500 to do, while my experience was frustrating at times the work eventually got done and now we are lead free.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders