• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Remote Collar Dog Training Program

orchid

TRIBE Member
I know this type of training can be controversial - some people call it torture. I definitely believe in it, if done properly. A regular collar can also cause harm to a dog if used improperly.

We have a hunting dog, a German Shorthaired Pointer, who is just over 1 years old. We have had the most difficult time with training him. We have tried every kind of training and collar to get him to walk without pulling our arm off, and to be more focussed. It can be a very tough breed to work with, and not an easy breed to have in the city. We've met probably a couple dozen GSP owners on the street and in the parks who all experience the same things we did. That said, they are wonderful dogs - we don't regret for a second getting one. We've always worked very hard to give him the running and trail/forest experiences that he loves and thrives on, on a daily basis. He wasn't always reliable in those situations. He also had a lot of trouble staying calm -if someone showed any excitement toward him, he would get super excited and be guaranteed to jump. Other issues like unreliable recall, especially when distracted.

We just brought him back on Saturday from 3 weeks at a remote collar training program. This trainer is EXCELLENT. The program offers a lifetime guarantee and support. If at any time in his life he needs a tune up, or we need help, we can bring him back to her for more work. Since having him home she has responded to numerous emails and called us as well to discuss issues. We are in the process of transitioning the skills he learned to a city environment with 1000x more distractions, plus all his memories of how he was before, and what he got away with. She told us he would try to revert, and indeed he is trying, but we are just being patient, and giving him only very short walks so he can be successful, then allowing him to soak that up. Turns out, productive walks where he constantly makes choices and uses his mind is just as tiring as running him out mindlessly for 2 hours. He seems much less scattered, calm, and happy. He now walks at heel, which is a friggin miracle, something we had given up on completely.

This is the place. Can't recommend this woman enough. If you have a problem dog, or a challenging breed, bring your dog here. Ask me any questions you have. It was the best money we ever could have spent.

Boarding School for Dogs - The Ontario Dog Trainer

Stop Bill C-10

djfear

TRIBE Member
My gf used to rehabilitate pitbulls back in Cali, and she's trained & fostered at least 15-20 greyhounds in the last 3 years (I've had about 7 of them myself).

One thing I've learned is that you really need to be the alpha and if there is anyone in your family that gives the dog too much affection during the training phase then that can go against the training and make it very difficult. You have to really be on top of it and over time the dog will be calmer and will listen to you.

Glad you took the time to train your dog!

derek

TRIBE Member
^^^

out of all the dogs i've had staffies (commonly classed a 'pit bull' as well), are the easiest to train and have one of the best temperaments. most misunderstood breed (or rather group of breeds)

they are energetic and powerful, so not for everyone.

the cocker spaniel we owned could be a bastard though.