1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Remix Contests

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by Sal De Ban, May 14, 2010.

1. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Just curious about this - how many of you actually submit entries for online remix contests? Which ones have you entered? I could count out both hands the number of remix contests that i said "oh i'm definitely going to do this one" and then lose interest. Either that, or there are a bunch of hoops to jump through and it is not worth it.

Thinkin' out loud, I'd be hesitant to use some of my most (what I think are) innovative and creative ideas because they are getting lumped in with possibly thousands of entries. Your/my hard work would get lost in the mix - and you have no idea who has a hold of this stuff. I'll bet most people pick their 'behind the scenes' favourites and share 'em amongst their friends. Any thruth to this kind of speculation?

2. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I've noticed the beatport ones never take the best remixes. The Yellow contest that happened a little while ago was just stupid. Great material to remix (Oh Yeah!) and some awesome submissions and they picked absolute crap for the winners with no variation in sound.

I'm pretty lazy by nature and it takes forever to finish a track so I always have good intentions but never end up making the deadlines.

You'll find a lot of people who don't win end up posting their mixes on soundcloud or whatever for free consumption which I think is totally valid.

Don't do it to win. Do it as an exercise. The first thing that will happen if you ever get an original track out that sells well is people will ask you to do remixes so it's good to have practice working with other peoples material.

I hope to one day finish my Oh Yeah remix.

3. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

you'll never win if you keep calling them Yellow.

4. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

if i finish an entry, i will no doubt enter it into the contest. but i am noticing that so many people don't really care about the contest aspect of it because the process has been dilluted as you guys mention. most of us don't believe that anyone is even listening to the entries.

i wrote a blog post recently about how i don't like how commonplace it is to run a remix contest.

Rethinking the RemixContest

i will say that the tipping point for me about thinking how dumb these things are has to be potty mouth music. i had to apply to enter the jack it like a zombie contest, and was not accepted. fair enough, a bit of rejection - but not the end of the world.

the kicker was they ended up taking all my info in the application and used it to add me to their two mailing lists. it's like "not only will we use this contest to promote our shit, but we'll grab your info before you can even enter".

if you are a label or an artist - don't break people's trust like that. trying to gain a little bit of promotion in the short term can break your long term commitment from fans.

5. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Hah! I'm an idiot. To be fair that post was written pre-caffeine.

6. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

i've entered a few over the past few years, maybe 3-5 in total

i agree that the best (or what i consider far better) entries were ignored, and the ones that won were pretty boring

i never expected to win, i usually just entered for fun ... the submission deadline really gives you a reason to work hard and complete the track, instead of leaving it half-finished for months / years.