• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Relocating within Canada

zoo

TRIBE Member
Does anyone have any experience with shipping cars across Canada? Or moving an apartment full of stuff?

I'm just looking for tips and company referrals. I've contacted a few places but have no way to compare quality of services, and many companies I've found on Google don't do Canada to Canada.

Thanks!

Baters

TRIBE Member
zoo said:
Does anyone have any experience with shipping cars across Canada? Or moving an apartment full of stuff?

I'm just looking for tips and company referrals. I've contacted a few places but have no way to compare quality of services, and many companies I've found on Google don't do Canada to Canada.

Thanks!

the only company that i have encountered that does province-to-province moves is u-haul. not saying there arent others that will but they were the only ones who would allow it when we have had to move stuff in the past

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
We used U-haul (when we moved from Montreal to Toronto).
Unfortunately, my experience was less than craptacular, so I guess I can't really really recommend them.

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
sell it all and start fresh. well, keep some stuff and ship it via ups.

what worked for us will work for everyone of course!

Persephone

TRIBE Member
Make sure to keep all your receipts. You can claim the cost of your move on your income tax form.

I've used Uhaul for short distance moves - they are the only truck rental company that will allow one-way moves. There are plenty of moving companies, but you'll pay a pretty penny to move across the country. Sorry, I can't think of any names right now. Try the Yellow Pages?

Your employer (not going to name any names here) should have a program to reimburse you for some (maybe all) of your moving costs. Look into that too.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
zoo said:

Thanks!

I can get the details of the shipping company my friend used here.. she moved to vancouver from ontario.. I know for couches and some other stuff it was like $1500 delivered right to her door.

I changed over my licence, and it was a bitch, only because it was a fresh re-issue and they had to confirm i had 2 years with a G. But all was good, paid my $30 and did a eye test. done.

Jay

gollum

TRIBE Member
Are you doing the packing/loading etc? Are you doing the driving?

For the cost of Uhaul buy a truck and sell it at your destination :)

There are a few companies that will ship pallet loads across country for you, don't know any off the top of my head, but they are in or around toronto (mostly in the outlying areas).

Canada post is a much better option for shipping boxes than greyhound, unless the item has a high weight to volume ratio. Then greyhound is better.

Canada post will ship direct to your door. Greyhound tends to have depots in the middle of nowhere.

swenard

TRIBE Member
Call that pods.com (something like that) a few friends have used them for city to city moves and I'm sure they do Canada wide.

they bring the container over, you fill it, they ship it.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
zoo said:

Thanks!

Ya but my guys are based out of NL and will work for next to nothing... I doubt you're headed in that direction!

MARCin

TRIBE Member
Persephone said:
I've used Uhaul for short distance moves - they are the only truck rental company that will allow one-way moves.

Wrong. Budget did it when I worked for them, mind you, it was more expensive than their regular trucks, and you have to book it well in advance.

Bean

TRIBE Member
Persephone said:
I've used Uhaul for short distance moves - they are the only truck rental company that will allow one-way moves. .

Discount allows one way moves, but it's pretty expensive. I think a more accurate statement would be U-haul is the cheapest truck rental company for one-way moves.

billy

TRIBE Member
searail ships cars via train across canada. 1-866-871-5812.

are you looking for a company that rents vehicles for a move or an actual moving company?

zoo

TRIBE Member
moving company recommendations, and vehicle shipping companies

i've received quotes from a few, the prices seem reasonable ... much better than using a uhaul type service

supakeli

TRIBE Member
I used B&E movers.
They do it by the pound,pack it all for you and bring it in to the news place.
From Vancouver to Toronto cost about $900.

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Prince Movers out of Montreal is good. Very cheap. I moved back and forth from LA a few times with them.